Drill is not dead? (Congrats Vandegrift!)

On 11/28/2019 at 10:14 AM, George Dixon said:

Man Ronald Reagan HS band just crushed it on NBC at the Macy’s parade at Herald Square!! 

They did. Parades were my absolute LEAST favorite things of all marching experience (especially Disney.) I would, to this very day (at 47 years old,) track for 4 continuous hours than to march a 1 mile parade.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally found the source for what the West Coast designers and some others in DCI term art and is the source of the grovelling, posing, and positioning that has invaded "drill" during the past two decades. The West Coasters in their babble term it "Art."

Rebecca Ackroyd, The Mulch, Berlin, 2018. Courtesy Peres Projects, Berlin. © Photo : Matthias Kolb

• 2 weeks later...

When I got to watch both Reagan and Vandegrift at San Antonio this year I knew I was watching something special in front of my eyes. Yes, Reagan does do a lot of body work, but when they do march, they march some extremely difficult drill. There is a portion of the show where the woodwinds are taking large steps in a slide all while playing runs perfectly in tune and balanced. That’s HARD. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to downplay Vandegrift at all. I’m just trying to help validate Reagan to those who attacked them earlier. 

Also, cool story: on finals night I happened to be having a section party between our trombones and some of Reagan’s trombone section while Vandegrift was up there bringing Kevin back to Texas. It was a cool coincidence to say the least as we didn’t realize it until the end of the party. The next day also happened to be my 18th birthday, so the midnight congrats and learning of the victory were awesome birthday presents. 

Edited by MadisonBandMan1