Inside the Arc – The Quest

Few are left who know much about it now, and many of them aren’t certain whether it was real or just some mythology concocted by the drum corps elders, whose own veracity might be questioned. Indeed, it’s wrapped in mystery and fading inevitably into the recesses of time. But rest assured, it is no myth, […]

View the full article

Wonder why 67/68 spaces where never engraved. And why the heck did engraving stop at 1975!?!?!?

Edited by JimF-LowBari

48 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Wonder why 67/68 spaces where never engraved. And why the heck did engraving stop at 1975!?!?!?

Jim,

Those are very good questions. I don't have the answers, but someone at the Legion must. I suspect it has to do with DCA and DCI. You're a good sleuth. Maybe you can discover the back story.

14 minutes ago, ironlips said:

Jim,

Those are very good questions. I don't have the answers, but someone at the Legion must. I suspect it has to do with DCA and DCI. You're a good sleuth. Maybe you can discover the back story.

Thanks and I’m retiring in a few months to join the part timers so should have more time to sleuth. Still want to find out how the Legion switched the 1978 winners (LI Kingsmen and Westshoremen). Have seen pics in two different publications (my dads Legion magazine and a book) with the names crossed. 

18 minutes ago, ironlips said:

Ralph is a master of the bon mot. You should have heard his PAS Hall of Fame remarks.

some live streamed his speech. Absolutely classic

Charlie Poole notes that the VFW Championship also awarded a silver drum, which he helped win for the Boston Crusaders in Miami in 1970.

I wonder where that one is. Perhaps someone here has a clue. Corps like Reading, Westshore, Kilties and Royal Airs would have captured that prize.

18 minutes ago, ironlips said:

Charlie Poole notes that the VFW Championship also awarded a silver drum, which he helped win for the Boston Crusaders in Miami in 1970.

I wonder where that one is. Perhaps someone here has a clue. Corps like Reading, Westshore, Kilties and Royal Airs would have captured that prize.

Brain cell kicked in... will have to find my pics of what Larry put up in the hotel during Forum show weekend. Real hazy memory of what came back from 1978 AL in New Orleans.

1952(?) VFW trophy was couple feet tall and quartermaster had it on his bedroom dresser until he passed. He was recovering from surgery and few of us stopped in. Walked into his bedroom and “hi Benny how are you... holy #### what is that....”.