Inside the Arc – The Quest

41 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Brain cell kicked in... will have to find my pics of what Larry put up in the hotel during Forum show weekend. Real hazy memory of what came back from 1978 AL in New Orleans.

1952(?) VFW trophy was couple feet tall and quartermaster had it on his bedroom dresser until he passed. He was recovering from surgery and few of us stopped in. Walked into his bedroom and “hi Benny how are you... holy #### what is that....”. 

it now sits in the Cumberland County Historical Society

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ironlips said:

Charlie Poole notes that the VFW Championship also awarded a silver drum, which he helped win for the Boston Crusaders in Miami in 1970.

I wonder where that one is. Perhaps someone here has a clue. Corps like Reading, Westshore, Kilties and Royal Airs would have captured that prize.

Didn't get started in drum corps until my brothers joined a local corps in '67... and in my young mind, the VFW show was the de facto national title show for junior corps.

Seemed to have a deeper lineup, at least in those late '60s through 1971 years.

Not saying the Legion show wasn't a big deal... it was.  Up-and-coming corps like the Sunrisers and Santa Clara Vanguard made their bones by winning an AL title (1968 for Sun, 1970 for SCV).

Edited by Fran Haring

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Brain cell kicked in... will have to find my pics of what Larry put up in the hotel during Forum show weekend. Real hazy memory of what came back from 1978 AL in New Orleans.

The thing I remember most about that 1978 AL show was seeing 'Shore's buses pull into the parking lot at Kennedy Stadium in Bridgeport the weekend after... with a banner that said "Westshoremen... 1978 American Legion National Champions." 

We were like, "Wow... that's really cool, congratulations to them!"  Then we saw you guys get off the buses, and you looked like the Walking Dead. :tongue: Like Barbara told me years later... that was the end of a very long couple of weeks. LOL

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Haha 1

On 11/19/2019 at 7:23 AM, DCP Commentary said:

Few are left who know much about it now, and many of them aren’t certain whether it was real or just some mythology concocted by the drum corps elders, whose own veracity might be questioned. Indeed, it’s wrapped in mystery and fading inevitably into the recesses of time. But rest assured, it is no myth, […]

View the full article

If they meant the Anaheim Kingsmen........never heard of it. 

And I’m old. 

42 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

And I’m old. 

Ya made me look 😄 and I learned something 😯

Long Island Kingsmen won 1978 American Legion Jr title at New Orleans. They also won 1979 VFW title at.... New Orleans..... at least they would have known the route....

7 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

And I’m old. 

No, Anaheim never won the Legion Championship, but they sure took a good shot at it, like some of the others listed.

I'll bet I'm the oldest person on this thread, so I respect "old".

8 hours ago, ironlips said:

No, Anaheim never won the Legion Championship, but they sure took a good shot at it, like some of the others listed.

I'll bet I'm the oldest person on this thread, so I respect "old".

Musta been 1971, or 70, before my time.

BTW. It may take us a long time to pee, but old men rule!

8 hours ago, ironlips said:

The Anaheim Kingsmen finished 5th in 1969 at the AL Nationals in Atlanta, then 2nd to Santa Clara at Portland in 1970.

That SCV win in 1970... that was the first time I remember ever hearing about them.  "Who the heck is that..."   LOL

• Like 1

On 11/20/2019 at 5:17 PM, Fran Haring said:

The thing I remember most about that 1978 AL show was seeing 'Shore's buses pull into the parking lot at Kennedy Stadium in Bridgeport the weekend after... with a banner that said "Westshoremen... 1978 American Legion National Champions." 

We were like, "Wow... that's really cool, congratulations to them!"  Then we saw you guys get off the buses, and you looked like the Walking Dead. :tongue: Like Barbara told me years later... that was the end of a very long couple of weeks. LOL

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208161559010809&set=t.1056247271&type=3&theater

78 AL trophy with a member of the corps and his son with the 96 DCA trophy, a member of that corps

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208172535805222&set=pb.1056247271.-2207520000.0.&type=3&theater

52 VFW, 78 AL, 96 DCA