New World-Class Criteria

3 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

No, they would not have.

If you want to prevent situations like those, you need to apply criteria to everybody, not just new members.  Most of these increasingly demanding criteria are merely a barrier to entry.

The problems that Teal and Magic had were that they where successful Open Class corps that moved to a World Class Tour without a financially stable environment and ran out of Money..... Competitively they found success and I would assume that back then the competitive criteria outweighed the financial criteria. I've heard horror stories from the corps when they were still in Open class so would this criteria have been in place back then, they would have never been allowed to move up to WC.

And yes I agree that this criteria should apply to all corps regardless of tenure. This statement "

"After 3 consecutive years out of the top 25, membership status will be placed under review, to be voted on by the membership at the next membership meeting."

Seems to indicate to me that this will apply to all corps that places outside of the Top 25. 

28 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

The latter is correct.

Can someone post the list of WC "Member" and "Non-Member" corps?

What I'm really looking for is the answer to:  Is there a WC corps today that is NOT a "member" corps and is only a "Participant" corps?

1 hour ago, Glenn426 said:

This criteria would have protected the dangerous conditions faced by members of the Magic Of Orlando, and the Teal Sound.

From an outsiders perspective(Parents, Sponsors, general public) this is a good move for DCI as an entertainment entity. If they are putting their name on a product they have to guarantee its members are providing a World Class service to its members and staff. And to be honest most people we know in the industry have dreams of starting a drum corps, but realistically have no idea what they are doing and in some cases put their members in danger through poor planning or financial hardships. Not everyone is cut out to run a world class organization. 

These requirements should ensure that only those that have built up a corps with Strong bones and solid financial standing have the honor of being a World Class corps... 

correct and in theory i am with you 10000000%. What I have asked dozens of times over the last several years is do existing members get reviewed periodically, or is it once you're in you're in and no one cares? Because based on past results, I think the latter is what happens.....and based on this policy and procedure, shouldn't be

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, garfield said:

Can someone post the list of WC "Member" and "Non-Member" corps?

What I'm really looking for is the answer to:  Is there a WC corps today that is NOT a "member" corps and is only a "Participant" corps?

based on last year, all were top 25. for a few priors, not all were.

22 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

based on last year, all were top 25. for a few priors, not all were.

My understanding is that, then, all WC corps were "Member" corps and the only "WCP" corps that could be referenced are OC corps that are participating in a WC event.

cixelsyd suggested that's not what's being referenced in the P&P guide, so I'm still not sure which performing units the rule change is addressing.

35 minutes ago, garfield said:

My understanding is that, then, all WC corps were "Member" corps and the only "WCP" corps that could be referenced are OC corps that are participating in a WC event.

cixelsyd suggested that's not what's being referenced in the P&P guide, so I'm still not sure which performing units the rule change is addressing.

says BDB and SCVC show up in Indy again. Odds are someone is dropping out. Unless it's grandfathered only for new groups to be affected.

26 minutes ago, Lance said:

I don't understand any of this, so it's an interesting read for me.  

How do these changes address the myriad problems we've seen over the past few years with member safety, staff safety, grievance procedures, etc?

totally different section of these documents