New World-Class Criteria

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

I would like to know that, too.

I would think that all 22 current WC corps have earned member status.  But since a vote of the body is part of that process, there could be any number of corps being denied full member status just on that account.

I share your confusion on the matter of voting rights. Would there be changes there? My expectation is, future official votes will only come from corps designated as 'DCI Member.'  I'd be OK with that, actually. These would be the DCI corps with the greatest stake in the business of DCI. Again, if the old Top 12 'power level' returns, it's at least a greater number than the more recent G-7 proposal.

3 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Just thought about the couple in the jail that everyone forgot about... or ignored..... Kinda takes it to another level...

4 hours ago, garfield said:

I think you understand it better than you admit.

The issues you address above are enhanced by this change because the presumption is that an org that can fill a bus has robust-enough P&P, staff, governance, and funding to be reasonably expected to maintain high levels of compliance with the expectations that comes along with permission to perform with DCI member corps.

Potential member orgs that comply with the 55 min, and other rules, must demonstrate a depth of org that is distinctly NOT like Roman ran.  More kids participating increases the volunteer pool for a robust org to tap to address the P&P expectations, and other things you list above in both governance and staff.

Conversely, the presumption is that an org with less-than-a-bus size can reasonably be presumed to have a larger and more chronic struggle in finding staff and volunteers to address compliance issues when they're still worried about collecting enough talent and funding to get the caravan down the road.  In short, shortcuts and financial decisions are made from an encumbered position that will likely magnify the impact of those decisions.  The negative impact under these circumstances are potentially disastrous.

DCI itself has made the necessary and important changes you address above to their offices and staff, and the member corps have vested in the executive the ability to command and defend specific minimums to participate.  Most, if not all, orgs under the DCI umbrella today meets or exceeds those high standards.

Everyone recognizes that it takes robust support to field a "competitive" org that can be called a DCI drum corps, be recognized as such and, as a result, be allowed to perform on their stage.

(Before I unleash here, remember that my response is about the stupidity of the message, not the messenger.)

Why does any attempted justification of a 55-member minimum keep referring to the number of members one full bus carries?

Stop and think for a second.  No one will enter into this with a single-bus corps anymore.  That would require every one of those 55 seats to be filled with a corps member... and every one of those members to be present, healthy and performing at all times.  One injury or illness, and the corps is disqualified from competing that day.  One kid quits, and the whole season is over unless a replacement is recruited and taught on the fly.  

Minimum 55 means minimum of two buses.  It would be disingenuous to imply otherwise.

Setting maximum size at bus capacity might have logic to it, but setting minimum size that way is dumber than a box of rocks.

Stupid point #2 - how many adults does it take to tour safely and successfully?  Any presumptions like those above completely ignore the length of the tour.  A corps only doing weekend shows in their home area is not even "touring".  A corps doing a ten-day swing like Columbians will not be spread as thin as a corps operating full-time from mid-May through DCI finals.  Why make local corps get bigger out of fear that touring corps might have trouble rounding up enough adults?

If that is the issue, then set a standard for how many adults need to be with a corps at any time on the road.  Corps with inadequate adult coverage go home.  Solve the problem, instead of creating another one.

• Like 1

I raised the same issue of what happens if a corps goes out with 54 members. No one came back with the rule of WHEN DCI counts the members. Is it each show like DCA or during DCI week or beginning of season.

Also if 55 members in a 55 passenger bus... does staff go on roof or underneath in the cargo bins?

21 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

based on last year, all were top 25. for a few priors, not all were.

True, both Jersey Surf and Seattle Cascades reset their clocks by making top 25 in 2019.  But they both face a bigger issue - the 110 member minimum.  

As I was told, Jersey Surf decided to set size and close holes down much earlier in 2019 and just go with the members who were already on board, even if it meant fielding a smaller corps.  The result was a corps of higher quality, better fan experience, and rise in competitive placement. 

DCI is putting a stop to that in 2020.

44 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I raised the same issue of what happens if a corps goes out with 54 members. No one came back with the rule of WHEN DCI counts the members. Is it each show like DCA or during DCI week or beginning of season.

Each show.  A corps that has been competing all season with adequate numbers will be relegated to exhibition status if they turn up shorthanded at any show.  It happened to Spirit of Newark in 2010... Racine Scouts in 2012... maybe others that elude my memory.

Edited by cixelsyd
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

(Before I unleash here, remember that my response is about the stupidity of the message, not the messenger.)

Why does any attempted justification of a 55-member minimum keep referring to the number of members one full bus carries?

Stop and think for a second.  No one will enter into this with a single-bus corps anymore.  That would require every one of those 55 seats to be filled with a corps member... and every one of those members to be present, healthy and performing at all times.  One injury or illness, and the corps is disqualified from competing that day.  One kid quits, and the whole season is over unless a replacement is recruited and taught on the fly.  

Minimum 55 means minimum of two buses.  It would be disingenuous to imply otherwise.

Setting maximum size at bus capacity might have logic to it, but setting minimum size that way is dumber than a box of rocks.

Stupid point #2 - how many adults does it take to tour safely and successfully?  Any presumptions like those above completely ignore the length of the tour.  A corps only doing weekend shows in their home area is not even "touring".  A corps doing a ten-day swing like Columbians will not be spread as thin as a corps operating full-time from mid-May through DCI finals.  Why make local corps get bigger out of fear that touring corps might have trouble rounding up enough adults?

If that is the issue, then set a standard for how many adults need to be with a corps at any time on the road.  Corps with inadequate adult coverage go home.  Solve the problem, instead of creating another one.

OK, 55 mm's equals two buses.  Got it.  Or one bus, one staff bunkhouse, one staff RV, and two equipment vehicles.  Or two buses, and two equipment vehicles, no RV and no bunkhouse.  I'm not sure it matters to the discussion.

The point is not the number of buses, it's the number of potential volunteers.  Volunteers to not necessarily go "on tour", but to staff the multitude of governance, executive, and staff positions in sufficiency so that administrative, policy, and mm safety and "quality of experience" issues can be sufficiently addressed.  This also addresses your "stupid point #2".  Your comment about making local corps do something for fear of touring corps obtaining enough adults is misplaced and not anything I wrote or referenced.

There is an adult standard set out of this rule change: the required standard is a sufficient number to accomplish all of the admin and mm-care responsibilities demanded of a competitive org.  Simply, a larger corps presents a better assurance to DCI that the org can live up to those responsibilities.

4 minutes ago, garfield said:

Simply, a larger corps presents a better assurance to DCI that the org can live up to those responsibilities.

Please explain....

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Each show.  A corps that has been competing all season with adequate numbers will be relegated to exhibition status if they turn up shorthanded at any show.  It happened to Spirit of Newark in 2010... Racine Scouts in 2012... maybe others that elude my memory.

PPI - Presume Positive Intent.

I'm presuming that DCI learned from those two examples you list and, if the intra-season MM shortfall is deemed temporary (such as for a member illness), an adjustment to the minimum MM rule would be allowed (speculation on my part).  That said, if the rule if firm and unyielding, it would naturally benefit the org to have an alternate or four available to fill the ranks in case such a situation occurred.

Edited by garfield

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Please explain....

It takes lots of dedicated staff and governance to create, modify, enforce, and monitor all of the business, safety, and touring requirements established by DCI .  A bigger corps has, presumably, more adults available to it to recruit into and share those roles that are required to live up to DCI's rules and requirements.