New World-Class Criteria

Forgive me for what may be obvious to some..If a corps has NO members under 18(generally the ADULT starting point chronologically), would there be a need for the ADULT supervision  as given to corps with CHILDREN 14-17..If you still consider 18 year olds less than adult then my question will have been answered...

• Like 1

So if the reason behind larger corps is more volunteers to help... what is written down in DCI policy on number of volunteers and their duties? And STILL waiting for written DCI policy on when those 55 and plus members will be counted.

Sounds like another instance where DCI going on belief that everyone will be on the same page.. when there isn’t a page. Shades of the assumption that corps could police their own ranks (Pioneer) and corps that pass initial screening will always be financially secure and not need checked.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, waliman4444 said:

Forgive me for what may be obvious to some..If a corps has NO members under 18(generally the ADULT starting point chronologically), would there be a need for the ADULT supervision  as given to corps with CHILDREN 14-17..If you still consider 18 year olds less than adult then my question will have been answered...

sometimes it is a question of what insurance policies stipulate. Some consider youth 18 and under. Some 21 and other. Some insure the organization without stipulation of membership. Today some policies are more specific if non-adults participate. Depends on policy type and what State one is working with when policy is written.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

So what is written in DCI policy on when to count members and allow/not allow a corps on the field? Is anything written?

usually counts were only at Championships (although sometimes at Regionals if there was a rumor of a challenge) by the contest committee (T. DiCarlo and krew.)

22 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Bottom line is in some eyes, bigger is better. Doesn't always equate to actually better or financially sound. i still want to know if existing members get reviewed periodically or if they are grandfathered in until disaster strikes

21 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Agreed! Being WC doesn’t mean elite. Very few elite organizations. Evaluations equal accountability. 

I am re-posting this from The Cadets' thread (with a presumption that Mr. Dixon, in his magnanimous spirit for the love of all things drum corps would not object. If so, I apologize.)

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Other than 4 or 5 every drum corps is on thin ice. 

When the Open Class qualifications were re-stated and the new financial requirements placed for future World Class membership, I immediately wondered what DCI would ultimately look like if this applied to every corps now in order to compete in DCI 2020. Would DCI ultimately be only California corps and the Boston Crusaders?

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, xandandl said:

usually counts were only at Championships (although sometimes at Regionals if there was a rumor of a challenge) by the contest committee (T. DiCarlo and krew.)

That’s the problem as I hear usually and DCI does things with best intentions..... but.... nothing written in stone apparently.....

All it takes is someone to be a “Richard” about something and things go off the tracks quick... What’s that about best interest for DCI and best interest for someones Corps may not be the same thing...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

58 minutes ago, xandandl said:

I am re-posting this from The Cadets' thread (with a presumption that Mr. Dixon, in his magnanimous spirit for the love of all things drum corps would not object. If so, I apologize.)

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Other than 4 or 5 every drum corps is on thin ice. 

When the Open Class qualifications were re-stated and the new financial requirements placed for future World Class membership, I immediately wondered what DCI would ultimately look like if this applied to every corps now in order to compete in DCI 2020. Would DCI ultimately be only California corps and the Boston Crusaders?

The number of participants would be a lot higher than members. 

I do find it interesting that both proposal to go from 128 maximum members to 150 members; & 150-154 had to go to a rules congress, be debated, and voted on.  But the minimum numbers (both OC &WC) are put forth arbitrarily from the DCI Deep State apparently without being voted on.

#NotMyDCI

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I do find it interesting that both proposal to go from 128 maximum members to 150 members; & 150-154 had to go to a rules congress, be debated, and voted on.  But the minimum numbers (both OC &WC) are put forth arbitrarily from the DCI Deep State apparently without being voted on.

#NotMyDCI

Great observation. 

14 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

#NotMyDCI

Really?  This is ridiculous.

"Deep State"?  Who, exactly, do you think this is?  "Arbitrary"?  What makes you believe this?

Hashtags?  #GetaGrip  #QuitMakingThingsUp

You're watching too much politics.  #It'sBAND

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1