New World-Class Criteria

2 minutes ago, garfield said:

Thank you.  Let's hope that squashes any silly notion that DCI is being run by some "deep state" of rogue voting members.  Or the "DCI Executive Board", whatever that is.

Now there could be some questions as to who was on the committee at the time the proposal was being drafted.  Google comes up largely empty, but I did find references to Rick Valenzuela being on the committee in the press releases about him leaving Regiment & joining System Blue.

7 minutes ago, garfield said:

Well, there's your answer.

What makes the people on DCP believe that every decision that DCI makes must first be vetted into public?

My problem is when specific questions are asked and response is to trust DCI without any information. And your response to who makes these decisions is to say who DIDN’T make them (deep state). Looking back the only time you actually answered a question in the last few pages is by quoting someone else. Seriously if you know what you claim you have a great opportunity to put peoples minds at rest with real info. Instead you take the road of getting snotty with “what’s an executive board”, etc

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, PioneerWebmaster said:

Now there could be some questions as to who was on the committee at the time the proposal was being drafted.  Google comes up largely empty, but I did find references to Rick Valenzuela being on the committee in the press releases about him leaving Regiment & joining System Blue.

All of this is explainable in circumstance and easily accommodated in real-time.  This is a bunch of band people who talk and share and converse probably yesterday.  There's a big meeting coming up in 45 days - it's reasonable to think that reasonable people have talked, will talk, will continue to get info from the Executive offices, will wrangle, haggle and, eventually get to a decision, if it's important enough to them, to make it a point to address this among themselves and then formally.

The BoD is COMPLETELY different now than it was even 6 months ago, let alone 2017 or '18.  If it's a big deal, they'll act on it in their best interest.

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

My problem is when specific questions are asked and response is to trust DCI without any information. And your response to who makes these decisions is to say who DIDN’T make them (deep state). Looking back the only time you actually answered a question in the last few pages is by quoting someone else. Seriously if you know what you claim you have a great opportunity to put peoples minds at rest with real info. Instead you take the road of getting snotty with “what’s an executive board”, etc

No, not "incoming".  All of this is not directed at your coordinates, Jim.  That said...

Let's be clear:  A.  I have not made any contentions what-so-ever that I "know something" or have inside ball.  I don't and, if you'd be so kind as to quote the specific sentences I've used to lead you to that conclusion, I'd appreciate the chance to learn to use those sentences more carefully.  I admit that many of my recent posts were deflecting stupidity from tin-foil hat-wearing idiocy like DCI being run by a "Deep State".  If you have a direct question for me about this issue, feel free to ask it here or PM but, otherwise, please point me to the posting etiquette rules I should follow (<-- meant as funny sarcasm).

B.  We're talking about the 55/110 mins, right?  And how they came to be, right?  And how that process of coming to be might be different than other processes of things being "codified" into process.  It seems as if you, or someone here, made a contention, or distinction, that the 150 to 154 rule was an adjudicated event at a Janual or some other group meeting, and the 55/110 rule was made in some other way distinctly not that.  To paraphrase: "The upper limit gets voted but the lower minimum gets..." if I recall.  Now there are tin-foil-hat-wearing posters talking about a "deep state", and "#NotMyDCI.  Bwahahahaha!!  When that tripe is thrown out I'm always going to force specifics.  Without specifics it's just a molotov cocktail from a drive-by that far too many, what, "younger" fans take seriously.

Without doubt, the notion that spawns such babble deserves to be called out as foolish and not serious.  You may have connected some nefarious events with some otherwise-innocent ones to root your distrust in them, fine. The ability to craft a convincing story is not lacking among the long-time posters in DCP-land!  But some, maybe you, also haven't seemed to have given sufficient-enough credit for all that HAS been done, recently and institutionally, to not repeat those practices and fix the embedded problems that haunt the activity from the past.  It's an easy presumption to start from because everyone's pitchfork tines are sharp on an anonymous board.  But, it's also hardest to fix because it takes effort to change one's perception - yours.  

My perspective is simple: I've had some direct interaction with the "doers" in drum corps, some at the executive and some at the local and some in between for a lot of years and in differing ways.  Other than George Hopkins and one person from BD, I have NEVER experienced the maniacal behavior in the actual people that some posters craft here out of rumor and innuendo bunk.  Among the dozens of directors and hundreds of corps board members I've know, I've only seen one person, specifically, and have heard about darn-few others here and elsewhere who I felt strongly were tearing the activity apart for selfish reasons.  "Deep State".  Pfftt.  There are serious posters here, yourself among them and me, too, I hope.  

This is herding 40 cats into one small box to decide how their they're going to divide the mice and keep them coming in.  Sometimes, seriously, I think people give DCI TOO much credit;  I've seen them do some pretty stupid stuff with my hobby over the years.  "Deep State".  Heh, funny.  It's their dance, they set the rules and parameters, young people sign up in droves, and old farts like us only ride their coat-tails.

PPI 

Edited by garfield
dang grammar

Ok fair enough. You have stated that DCI only counts members DCI week and others have said differently. Either way nothing in the rules has been stated here if that is in the rules.

My main point was you have stated DCIs intent on some of the rules and sounds like you are making the statements based on knowledge and not just IYO. That’s why I think/thought you have more info than most of us. At least I haven’t seen IMO in your posts regarding this.

and yes Deep State I consider snark, but DCI executive board sounds legit to me. 

18 minutes ago, garfield said:

Other than George Hopkins and one person from BD, I have NEVER experienced the maniacal behavior in the actual people that some posters craft here out of rumor and innuendo bunk.

Please don't talk about JohnD like that - he keeps the lights on here!  😁

Mike

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Ok fair enough. You have stated that DCI only counts members DCI week and others have said differently. Either way nothing in the rules has been stated here if that is in the rules.

My main point was you have stated DCIs intent on some of the rules and sounds like you are making the statements based on knowledge and not just IYO. That’s why I think/thought you have more info than most of us. At least I haven’t seen IMO in your posts regarding this.

and yes Deep State I consider snark, but DCI executive board sounds legit to me. 

That might be our DCA days talking, Jim.  LOL.  The Executive Committee there. They have some leeway to step in from time to time regarding procedures/rules... but it's the member corps that propose and vote.  The member corps voted to approve the DCA 35-member minimum back in what.... 2007 I think it was? 

8 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Please don't talk about JohnD like that - he keeps the lights on here!  😁

Mike

So that's the "one person from BD" I've heard talk about.  That answers several questions. :tongue: