New World-Class Criteria

3 hours ago, garfield said:

No, not "incoming".  All of this is not directed at your coordinates, Jim.  That said...

Let's be clear:  A.  I have not made any contentions what-so-ever that I "know something" or have inside ball.  I don't and, if you'd be so kind as to quote the specific sentences I've used to lead you to that conclusion, I'd appreciate the chance to learn to use those sentences more carefully.  I admit that many of my recent posts were deflecting stupidity from tin-foil hat-wearing idiocy like DCI being run by a "Deep State".  If you have a direct question for me about this issue, feel free to ask it here or PM but, otherwise, please point me to the posting etiquette rules I should follow (<-- meant as funny sarcasm).

B.  We're talking about the 55/110 mins, right?  And how they came to be, right?  And how that process of coming to be might be different than other processes of things being "codified" into process.  It seems as if you, or someone here, made a contention, or distinction, that the 150 to 154 rule was an adjudicated event at a Janual or some other group meeting, and the 55/110 rule was made in some other way distinctly not that.  To paraphrase: "The upper limit gets voted but the lower minimum gets..." if I recall.  Now there are tin-foil-hat-wearing posters talking about a "deep state", and "#NotMyDCI.  Bwahahahaha!!  When that tripe is thrown out I'm always going to force specifics.  Without specifics it's just a molotov cocktail from a drive-by that far too many, what, "younger" fans take seriously.

Without doubt, the notion that spawns such babble deserves to be called out as foolish and not serious.  You may have connected some nefarious events with some otherwise-innocent ones to root your distrust in them, fine. The ability to craft a convincing story is not lacking among the long-time posters in DCP-land!  But some, maybe you, also haven't seemed to have given sufficient-enough credit for all that HAS been done, recently and institutionally, to not repeat those practices and fix the embedded problems that haunt the activity from the past.  It's an easy presumption to start from because everyone's pitchfork tines are sharp on an anonymous board.  But, it's also hardest to fix because it takes effort to change one's perception - yours.  

My perspective is simple: I've had some direct interaction with the "doers" in drum corps, some at the executive and some at the local and some in between for a lot of years and in differing ways.  Other than George Hopkins and one person from BD, I have NEVER experienced the maniacal behavior in the actual people that some posters craft here out of rumor and innuendo bunk.  Among the dozens of directors and hundreds of corps board members I've know, I've only seen one person, specifically, and have heard about darn-few others here and elsewhere who I felt strongly were tearing the activity apart for selfish reasons.  "Deep State".  Pfftt.  There are serious posters here, yourself among them and me, too, I hope.  

This is herding 40 cats into one small box to decide how their they're going to divide the mice and keep them coming in.  Sometimes, seriously, I think people give DCI TOO much credit;  I've seen them do some pretty stupid stuff with my hobby over the years.  "Deep State".  Heh, funny.  It's their dance, they set the rules and parameters, young people sign up in droves, and old farts like us only ride their coat-tails.

PPI 

I like my tin-foil hat

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Why would they 

My take is even elite corps have problems at times. Hate to name names but Cadets and their alleged money issues would fall under this. 

Personally it’s not the elite/non-elite tag driving checks that bothers me. It’s the assumption that once a Corps passes the checks they are not checked again unless they fall below a certain level. Periodic checks would be safer IMO

24 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I like my tin-foil hat

Covers the bald spot very well.... 

19 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Bald spot is due to the intense heat created by the cerebral cortex...

Lol as a teacher would say “grass don’t grow on a busy street”. And we’d say to ourselves “doesn’t grow on concrete either”.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

My take is even elite corps have problems at times. Hate to name names but Cadets and their alleged money issues would fall under this. 

Cadets were their own worst enemy. Cadets allowed an insecure narcissist primadona pick his own board, hire and fire anyone at will, control USBands,  declare himself CEO, director of two corps, show designer, tour manager, fun raiser, marketing director and accountant. If the Cadets were still medaling he most likely would still be running it all, but doubt alumni would admit to that truth. IMO the chickens have come home to roost. 

Edited by Poppycock

9 hours ago, garfield said:

Yes, which can pollute the judging (I'm NOT saying it has) in several ways.  That makes "follow the money" particularly sage advice when looking at things.

not just the judging. it can infect the decision making at all levels, especially when justified as "for the kids"

• Like 1