New World-Class Criteria

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

The member minimum is a written rule.  Written rules apply to every contest.

This is clearly false.  I already gave an example of counting being done at an early-season show in 2002.  If that is not sufficiently convincing, then consider Spirit of Newark in 2010.  They appeared at six shows, three of which became exhibition performances:

7/17 Groton, CT - 53.8

7/24 Warrenton, VA - 52.4

8/3 Erie, PA - exhibition

8/6 Greendale, WI - exhibition

8/7 Belding, MI - 58.65

8/8 Dayton, OH - exhibition

I witnessed one of these performances myself, noticing that they were under 30 members.  Sure enough, they were not scored that day.  

I was giving the protocol from when I was on field committee. I'll take your word that it was different in 2002 when I was in Europe doing post-doc work. Odd that Belding had a score but Dayton didn't. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Certainly there is a long list of considerations, but someone else will need to help you figure that out I’m exhausted. 

I’m not talking about what you or I think DCI should consider elite. I’m talking about what DCI  presently considers elite. And all I see is Finals placing. That’s why I said DCI “would” consider and not “should” consider on the earlier post

Edited by JimF-LowBari

2 hours ago, Poppycock said:

May or may not be. Give us some names please!

the 990's research done on here over the years has shown who is where, plus then you see the special begging campaigns that happen, or corps altering decisions made to help boost $$

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the 990's research done on here over the years has shown who is where, plus then you see the special begging campaigns that happen, or corps altering decisions made to help boost $$

990’s can be manipulated. IMO with the exception of travel expenses (determined by total tour miles) both capital and operation expenditures should be caped for both WC and OC organizations, and include annual financial evaluations by an independent organization to monitor the health of each organization and the activity as a whole.

This may align and level the playing field for all ending the arms race by a few to spend their competition out of business. 

48 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

990’s can be manipulated. IMO with the exception of travel expenses (determined by total tour miles) both capital and operation expenditures should be caped for both WC and OC organizations, and include annual financial evaluations by an independent organization to monitor the health of each organization and the activity as a whole.

This may align and level the playing field for all ending the arms race by a few to spend their competition out of business. 

A "salary cap" of sorts?   Interesting idea.

51 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Annual Financial evals I could go for.... for DCI and DCA. And mean for corps and the organizations themselves.

1 hour ago, Poppycock said:

48 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

A "salary cap" of sorts?   Interesting idea.

And the BD will still be favored.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Poppycock said:

I'd like to hear your ideas on how caps on "...both capital and operation expenditures..." would actually "align and level the playing field for ending the arms race".

990's CAN be manipulated.  The question is:  Why would a drum corps do so?

Each drum corps is audited each year by the firm that prepares their documents.  Of what benefit is it to cap what BD can spend each year?