New World-Class Criteria

2 minutes ago, garfield said:

Wondering what this "eval" might look at.

Well I’ve got a niece with a masters in accounting so might ask her lol. Just thinking some way to cut down on possibility of nasty surprises for DCI. Heavens knows there has been enough crap flying under the radar the last few years.

1 hour ago, garfield said:

I'd like to hear your ideas on how caps on "...both capital and operation expenditures..." would actually "align and level the playing field for ending the arms race".

990's CAN be manipulated.  The question is:  Why would a drum corps do so?

Each drum corps is audited each year by the firm that prepares their documents.  Of what benefit is it to cap what BD can spend each year?

I’m certainly no financial wizard. I do know that there has been discussions on the subject. I know of several organizations who approached one organization in particular to loan them money or underwrite their debt. You would be surprised to know which organizations too. 

A cap could be based on a percentage of total revenue restricting the amount of money that can be spent. Some would have a higher and some lower percentage cap. IMO it could promote more competition. 

Some organizations intentionally misstate their financial information to favorably represent the entity’s financial performance. They may have incentives to manipulate their reported program spending ratios because donors use them in determining contribution decisions.

Edited by Poppycock

6 hours ago, Poppycock said:

990’s can be manipulated. IMO with the exception of travel expenses (determined by total tour miles) both capital and operation expenditures should be caped for both WC and OC organizations, and include annual financial evaluations by an independent organization to monitor the health of each organization and the activity as a whole.

This may align and level the playing field for all ending the arms race by a few to spend their competition out of business. 

they can to a point, yes. But only so far before you skirt more than a few lines

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, garfield said:

Wondering what this "eval" might look at.

the eval used to gain access to World Class would be a good place to start

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Poppycock said:

I’m certainly no financial wizard. I do know that there has been discussions on the subject. I know of several organizations who approached one organization in particular to loan them money or underwrite their debt. You would be surprised to know which organizations too. 

A cap could be based on a percentage of total revenue restricting the amount of money that can be spent. Some would have a higher and some lower percentage cap. IMO it could promote more competition. 

Some organizations intentionally misstate their financial information to favorably represent the entity’s financial performance. They may have incentives to manipulate their reported program spending ratios because donors use them in determining contribution decisions.

BD makes $6mm per year, others struggle to make $1mm per year.  A flat percentage still leaves BD spending 6-times what others do.  And, if you propose different percentages for different corps, who gets to set the rules that determine said percentage?  What dollar amount is "fair" for dots and designs?

Making straw-men accusations of financial impropriety against nameless organizations is not convincing.  If you're going to make contentions like this, at least present the name of the organization and the year you contend they intentionally misstated their financials for any reason.

Otherwise, I call BS (and I don't mean Blue Stars).

EDIT:  I was thinking:  Isn't it unfair that Crown has so many uber-talented brass players?  Shouldn't some of those be forced to go elsewhere?  How about we attain the same goal by limiting the number of "good" brass players Crown can have.  And, for that matter, ditto for BD's drumline.  Shouldn't they be restricted to only spend $5,000 per 15 second slice of copyrighted music like every other corps?  It's no wonder they win when they spend so much on great design and arranging.  That's not fair.  If you don't get my sarcasm, you aren't paying attention.  Regardless, I ask, where does the "leveling" you speak of stop in a completely subjective activity like drum corps?

Edited by garfield

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the eval used to gain access to World Class would be a good place to start

Yep, so, they do have one.  Is it sufficient or deficient?  Should it be applied more frequently than it now is (seasonally is my understanding).

I've not found any evidence that suggested Legends was going to begging for money to complete 2017's tour.  Should corps be required to report in monthly during the tour?  Weekly?

What are the unintended consequences of tighter centralized review of individual corps finances throughout the season, say, a November until August reporting period?

43 minutes ago, garfield said:

Yep, so, they do have one.  Is it sufficient or deficient?  Should it be applied more frequently than it now is (seasonally is my understanding).

I've not found any evidence that suggested Legends was going to begging for money to complete 2017's tour.  Should corps be required to report in monthly during the tour?  Weekly?

What are the unintended consequences of tighter centralized review of individual corps finances throughout the season, say, a November until August reporting period?

Well what are the unintended consequences of any changes? Like anything else I’d say the answer is “DCI can always change it” which is the response some give to gripes about rule changes. Sorry but can’t think of a way to say it without sounding snarky at 8am and BC (before coffe)

You do raise good questions and didn’t realize there was a check for WC entry.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

2 hours ago, garfield said:

BD makes $6mm per year, others struggle to make $1mm per year.  A flat percentage still leaves BD spending 6-times what others do.  And, if you propose different percentages for different corps, who gets to set the rules that determine said percentage?  What dollar amount is "fair" for dots and designs?

Making straw-men accusations of financial impropriety against nameless organizations is not convincing.  If you're going to make contentions like this, at least present the name of the organization and the year you contend they intentionally misstated their financials for any reason.

Otherwise, I call BS (and I don't mean Blue Stars).

EDIT:  I was thinking:  Isn't it unfair that Crown has so many uber-talented brass players?  Shouldn't some of those be forced to go elsewhere?  How about we attain the same goal by limiting the number of "good" brass players Crown can have.  And, for that matter, ditto for BD's drumline.  Shouldn't they be restricted to only spend $5,000 per 15 second slice of copyrighted music like every other corps?  It's no wonder they win when they spend so much on great design and arranging.  That's not fair.  If you don't get my sarcasm, you aren't paying attention.  Regardless, I ask, where does the "leveling" you speak of stop in a completely subjective activity like drum corps?

Obviously you’re not in the loop, didn’t get the memo or not on the need to know list.

I’m not the whistle blower who outed the Crownies or Cadets for going to Boston on  bended knees to resolve their debts. But I was listening when the story was told. 

Or am I the person who would determine a fair percentage cap to prevent organizations from bankruptcy trying to keep up with the arms race. My dance card is full thank you! 

Ultimately It’s the game that the DCI directors chose to play, so don’t hate on BD because they figured out the game, hate the game. 

10 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Obviously you’re not in the loop, didn’t get the memo or not on the need to know list.

I’m not the whistle blower who outed the Crownies or Cadets for going to Boston on  bended knees to resolve their debts. But I was listening when the story was told. 

Or am I the person who would determine a fair percentage cap to prevent organizations from bankruptcy trying to keep up with the arms race. My dance card is full thank you! 

Ultimately It’s the game that the DCI directors chose to play, so don’t hate on BD because they figured out the game, hate the game. 

Heh.  OK.

Still, you've suggested that a spending cap would level the field and promote fiscal responsibility, although you don't say how in the face of the math.  (Maybe that was a different memo.)

And, right, you're NOT the person, or a person part of a the group, who would set the percentage- or dollar-caps.  But your presumption about the benefits should be based on something, even if something you just overheard.  Otherwise, you'd have to start the sentence with "I wonder..." or "I'd be curious to know..." it seems to me.