New World-Class Criteria

10 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Whose "perception" was that?

It seemed to me that both audiences and judges agreed that the 103-member Jersey Surf (2019) was a better entertainment/competitive value than the 118-member Jersey Surf (2018), and quite probably the 135 and 131 that preceded them.  Why is that "perception" not being taken into account?

"The Draw" but, in this discussion, The Draw is WC.

Yea, I love Surf.  Do they sell tickets in Peoria?  Or do they have a chance to perform for a small cut of the gate that's drawn by bigger names?

You said it earlier and in a different way:  When they perceive the world as a fixed pie, they start thinking about controlling the way the pie is sliced.  I think the DCI membership has a collective vision of what they want WC to be in order to get a slice.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, garfield said:

Just engage, ok?

Revenue sharing among all WC corps and spending caps are ideas to examine which may create both parity and financial stability. 

Limit the total amount of money that can be spent to create competitive balance. As it is now, any corps can spend all the money they can afford on staff, performers (yes performers), costuming and field equipment. This means that those corps with more limited financial resources cannot afford the top talent, best costuming and field equipment, putting them at a competitive disadvantage against those corps with greater financial resources.

Not saying this will ever happen, in fact I seriously doubt it. It's an all for one to hell with the rest of you activity. There are those who sole purpose is to limit their competition, and one way is to out spend them forcing competitors into the inevitable debt collapse because they can no longer keep up with the Joneses.

BTW what's the over and under on sousaphones this season?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Poppycock said:

Revenue sharing among all WC corps and spending caps are ideas to examine which may create both parity and financial stability. 

Limit the total amount of money that can be spent to create competitive balance. As it is now, any corps can spend all the money they can afford on staff, performers (yes performers), costuming and field equipment. This means that those corps with more limited financial resources cannot afford the top talent, best costuming and field equipment, putting them at a competitive disadvantage against those corps with greater financial resources.

Not saying this will ever happen, in fact I seriously doubt it. It's an all for one to hell with the rest of you activity. There are those who sole purpose is to limit their competition, and one way is to out spend them forcing competitors into the inevitable debt collapse because they can no longer keep up with the Joneses.

BTW what's the over and under on sousaphones this season?

It’s a dog-eat-dog world and I’m wearing a milk bone necklace. 

• Haha 4

So if a certain number for minimum members doesn’t work DCI will switch it then. How will DCI know if a certain number is wrong? All I can think of is things that could damage a corps. Oops someone couldn’t field this year, guess we’d better tweak that number

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

It’s a dog-eat-dog world and I’m wearing a milk bone necklace. 

At least it ain’t underwear 😬 Now why did I just think of my sisters late 85 pound Boxer 😳

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Probation may seem like "nothing actually happening" from the outside looking in, but...

Probation from what? Two years ago GH was ready to load the buses and go West. 

Did DCI know about their financial issues? Would they have still scheduled Cadets to Cali? DCI reschedules tour only after the GH incidents are exposed. The Cadets season was essentially unaffected, the show must go on. 

Edited by Poppycock

36 minutes ago, garfield said:

"The Draw" but, in this discussion, The Draw is WC.

Yea, I love Surf.  Do they sell tickets in Peoria?  Or do they have a chance to perform for a small cut of the gate that's drawn by bigger names?

... oh no, not this nonsense again.

(And I know, you are just the messenger.)

I will not let this nonsense pass unchallenged.  The league is the real draw.  The majority of attention any DCI corps attracts is largely owed to the competitive/entertainment format DCI maintains.  Take away all that context, and not many people are going to stay and watch (let alone pay to watch) any individual corps with no known competitive status drag their props onto a football field and perform a ten-minute show, no matter what their level of excellence may be.

And forget Peoria.  We would need a TEP there.  No show for them!

You said it earlier and in a different way:  When they perceive the world as a fixed pie, they start thinking about controlling the way the pie is sliced.  I think the DCI membership has a collective vision of what they want WC to be in order to get a slice.

And as usual, the idea of growing a bigger pie gets pushed aside.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Did DCI know about their financial issues? Would they have still scheduled Cadets to Cali? DCI reschedules tour only after the GH incidents are exposed. The Cadets season was essentially unaffected, the show must go on. 

I'm not finding in any of the financial reports that The Cadets HAD any "financial issues" that would have foretold the current events because the current events didn't happen until GH blew up and wasted the trust of the band community.  USBands was doing a fine job allowing The Cadets to compete against the big dogs.  As is almost always the case, only once it began to falter (as in GH being ousted) did the cracks begin to show.

AFAIK, there is not a "stress test" of corps finances. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

... oh no, not this nonsense again.

<snip>

And forget Peoria.  We would need a TEP there.  No show for them!

And as usual, the idea of growing a bigger pie gets pushed aside.

You didn't REALLY think that "nonsense" died out all those years ago, did you?

And there was a TEP in Dublin but, guess what?, no show for them, either!

Yes, growth is always someone else's problem - lazy corps, bad Executive, wasteful DCI, distrusting band directors - and circling the wagons is the business of every corps in the activity.

But, it's not all bad.  When corps focus on growing themselves and improving their orgs the generally get better, so long as the pie-holders don't change the cut again (like this is apparently).   Success is in everyone's best interest.

25 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Not sure what you are trying to say.

Probation is not "from" something, it is "for" something.  For the organizational upheaval the GH scandal caused, YEA! was placed on probation by DCI.

Evidently, DCI did not know about their financial issues until the probation gave them the chance to "look under the hood".

Evidently, DCI would not have scheduled Cadets for a California tour had they known.  Once they found out, they pulled Cadets out of that long-planned, advertised tour with little advance notice.