New World-Class Criteria

42 minutes ago, xandandl said:

and what about once WC challengers doing the dead man's float while treading water and being out pointed by OC corps???

One of the things I believe points to the health of OC corps is the diverse reasons for membership. Some are younger members testing the waters of drum corps and are ambitious to be members of a WC corps one day. Others may desire to march WC and may be talented enough to march WC, but finances, time commitment, etc., make this not a possibility. Others like the atmosphere and give it their all. This combination can make for a driven corps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, garfield said:

Possibly.  But now they have a metric under which they can rule.  An OC corps that marches 125 and has been on the WC platform for two years is plenty welcome to a WC TEP event.  Just not one that's smaller than 110 MMs.  (That's not now the rule, but that's where it's heading, I'm willing to bet.)

Well then, why not just require:

• Leadership/director must participate in a mentorship program in which an Open Class director will be paired with a WC Member for general guidance. May also be paired with subject matter expert(s) in specific areas of need
  • Top 25 for 3 consecutive years
  • Revenue in year 3 of this process should be at least $750k with positive earnings before depreciation
  • A positive net worth of $50,000 or more in each of the past three fiscal years
  • The budget for year 4 (first year in World Class) should include a surplus of $50,000.
  • Financial Statement prepared by an Outside Accounting Firm (Financial Audit or Financial Review as required by your governing state)
  • Independent Board defined by good governance best practices
  • Monthly cash flow projection for year 4 (first year in World Class)
  • Debt to equity ratio should be lower than 3 to 1, e.g. long-term lease, notes payable, accounts payable
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Well then, why not just require:

• Leadership/director must participate in a mentorship program in which an Open Class director will be paired with a WC Member for general guidance. May also be paired with subject matter expert(s) in specific areas of need
  • Top 25 for 3 consecutive years
  • Revenue in year 3 of this process should be at least $750k with positive earnings before depreciation
  • A positive net worth of $50,000 or more in each of the past three fiscal years
  • The budget for year 4 (first year in World Class) should include a surplus of $50,000.
  • Financial Statement prepared by an Outside Accounting Firm (Financial Audit or Financial Review as required by your governing state)
  • Independent Board defined by good governance best practices
  • Monthly cash flow projection for year 4 (first year in World Class)
  • Debt to equity ratio should be lower than 3 to 1, e.g. long-term lease, notes payable, accounts payable

Exactly!  This plus 110 MM's minimum and you have a Major League!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

So no shows with separate classes? I see it as a great way to show everyone that the only type of DC there should be is large and of certain level of talent. Which imo sucks.... 

Then again I enjoy smaller Class A in DCA . Find it interesting what corps CAN do with smaller number of bodies

DCM worked that way for years.  We liked to see where we stood in relation to the powerhouses. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, xandandl said:

and what about once WC challengers doing the dead man's float while treading water and being out pointed by OC corps???

Is your point that they are one-time WC challengers or that they are being out-pointed?  The first is unfortunate but not permanent.  The second is, in my best Forrest Gump voice, "Competition is as competition does".

8 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

It seemed to me that both audiences and judges agreed that the 103-member Jersey Surf (2019) was a better entertainment/competitive value than the 118-member Jersey Surf (2018), and quite probably the 135 and 131 that preceded them.  Why is that "perception" not being taken into account?

This is well said.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, garfield said:

O.M.G.  THIS.  But, to their credit. I've also considered that their answer to controlling the herd is to also focus on the quality of the production entertainment value of each participating corps.  They've said for years that they WANT more competitive corps in the top ranks to make shows more entertaining but, to me, this feels as much like they've put the cart before the horse a bit in increasing the minimum.  Maybe this is their "stick" approach.  And maybe 110 min is a more-realistic number if there's an increase in max MM's on the field.  If the max fielded stays at current levels, seeking 110 to even dance on their floor seems too much to my eye.  It seems to me that demonstrable persistent movement UP from OC to WC would signal a tightening of the requirements, but I sure don't see that as going on now.

Gobble, Gobble.

It's their dance in their gym and we're only along for the ride and paying to watch.

size doesn't always equal good or entertaining. Surf was the smallest they have been in a long time last year, and had their best and most entertaining show since 2013

• Like 4

15 hours ago, garfield said:

"The Draw" but, in this discussion, The Draw is WC.

Yea, I love Surf.  Do they sell tickets in Peoria?  Or do they have a chance to perform for a small cut of the gate that's drawn by bigger names?

You said it earlier and in a different way:  When they perceive the world as a fixed pie, they start thinking about controlling the way the pie is sliced.  I think the DCI membership has a collective vision of what they want WC to be in order to get a slice.

only problem is when you slice with narrow vision, you end up cutting yourself

15 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

It’s a dog-eat-dog world and I’m wearing a milk bone necklace. 

well, ya know Norm....

• Haha 1