New World-Class Criteria

47 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

this is the first it's ever been confirmed. You don't remember the Legends saga? It was all over this place. 

Raiders also had a publicized issue the other year too. I do believe an annual review is best for all, and I think they should dive deep, as deep as they are doing for new corps coming in the door. Remember you had the eval process to get into WC at the same time you corps Like Glassmen, Teal and others folding. Troopers taking a year off. Phantom having a well publicized debt. Plus I have heard rumors floating about some corps asking others for loans, tho some names not mentioned here, and I don't have enough corroboration to say more other than it's rumors

Sorry, I meant at the beginning of the season as an indicator that they'd run out.

Yep, I knew all about this.

37 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Forgive me I just don't have the patience, I have to take the dog to the dog park. Perhaps when I'm in the mood and have more self-restraint to entertain nonsense. 

LOL.  OK.

Don't feel compelled to entertain.  It's not that entertaining.

Good dog!

2 hours ago, garfield said:

Yep, so, they do have one.  Is it sufficient or deficient?  Should it be applied more frequently than it now is (seasonally is my understanding).

I've not found any evidence that suggested Legends was going to begging for money to complete 2017's tour.  Should corps be required to report in monthly during the tour?  Weekly?

What are the unintended consequences of tighter centralized review of individual corps finances throughout the season, say, a November until August reporting period?

My understanding (based on the freshly revised DCI Policies and Procedures) is that there is no such thing as seasonal evaluations in DCI.  If you were a pre-existing WC corps, and you avoid total administrative meltdowns, your corps never gets evaluated.  Is that fair?  Is that wise?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Oh yes thank you Jeff. I fat fingered the keyboard again.

happens

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, garfield said:

Sorry, I meant at the beginning of the season as an indicator that they'd run out.

Yep, I knew all about this.

there's been rumors of issues with others in WC even along these lines over the years. So is this audit that good?

7 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

My understanding (based on the freshly revised DCI Policies and Procedures) is that there is no such thing as seasonal evaluations in DCI.  If you were a pre-existing WC corps, and you avoid total administrative meltdowns, your corps never gets evaluated.  Is that fair?  Is that wise?

No, I'm sorry, that's not right.

There is a requirement in "Membership" of the By-Laws that requires all corps to submit their most-recent 990 to DCI prior to any payment can be made to the corps under the pool payment scheme.

Under the "Governance" section, the Executive is allowed at any time to initiate any action that he deems necessary and advisable for the health and safety of all participants up to and including an entire corps.  The ED has the power and authority to act as needed.  It's just not reasonable to think that a corps can go un-"audited" by DCI and stay under the radar to hide financial problems mid-season or tour.  My understanding is that Legends were given an straw and they chose to use it to make an immediate appeal for funds.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

there's been rumors of issues with others in WC even along these lines over the years. So is this audit that good?

I think it's completely reasonable for DCI to be aware of the precarious nature of every single corps, bar one or two, that perennially cut their budget right to the bone.  After all these years, the ED and his financial CEO are exceptionally good at spotting situations both in the numbers and in the trenches that indicate financial stress worth monitoring throughout the season.  This is a small activity; the ED and his staff are all in touch with every member corps and most of their boards of directors.

Of course, thin budgets without any "safety nets" for black-swan events (or stupidity) are easy to spot.  I'm confident those discussions go on consistently and DCI is aware well before talk of the tour gets serious.  Don't forget, corps have to "pre-commit" to the tour in November when corps are measuring demand for their tryouts. 

All that said, a tremendous component of DCI's structure places responsibility for proper management in the hands of the corps' operations.  DCI isn't a bunch of mind-readers and corps are required to report issues that risk financial stress.  They risk getting no financial help from "The Bank of DCI", being sanctioned for not self-reporting and likely suspended or barred.  They all agree to these requirements as a condition of them being in the dance.

Edited by garfield