Carolina Gold

18 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

To your second question here... the "out of the Northeast" all-age corps often attend those DCI shows because those shows are closer to home (as opposed to potentially breaking the bank on a long trip to the Northeast) , and give the corps a performance opportunity and judges' feedback. Makes perfect sense, especially from an economic standpoint.

To your first question... the scores kinda sorta, maybe or maybe not,  compare favorably.  LOL.  Not a complete "true read" from a DCA panel who might understand the sheets a bit better (even though there are any number of judges who work in both circuits). But, as mentioned earlier... it does give the corps valuable feedback.

***Edit to add***... The numbers also can be affected by factors such as an all-age corps doing a weeknight DCI show and showing up with numerous blanks as a result, or having a very short time to get together, warm up, etc.  (Since a lot of the folks in those corps have weekday job/school commitments.)  I would think a  hurried weeknight performance might not be a true indicator of what a corps is capable of doing.

Now I’m really confused! Difficult to believe DCI judges are so incompetent not to understand DCA sheets or the criteria used. Do any DCI judges also judge DCA?

Do all-age corps outside of the NE have better member attendance at DCA shows in the NE than DCI shows closer to their location? I would think it would be the other way around.

Certainly understand that there may be a small percentage of older members having to leave work early, but a few hours to review and warm up should suffice for week night performances. 

14 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

14 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Now I’m really confused! Difficult to believe DCI judges are so incompetent not to understand DCA sheets or the criteria used. Do any DCI judges also judge DCA?

Do all-age corps outside of the NE have better member attendance at DCA shows in the NE than DCI shows closer to their location? I would think it would be the other way around.

Certainly understand that there may be a small percentage of older members having to leave work early, but a few hours to review and warm up should suffice for week night performances. 

Please don't be confused!!!   LOL!!!

Those DCI judges are not incompetent by any means. Of course not.

But as I said in my post... a "full-time" DCA panel might/should have a better understanding of the sheets, compared to a DCI judge who might be seeing those sheets for the first time. 

And, as I said in my post... there are a number of "crossover" judges who work both circuits. (Some have worked the championship events for both circuits.) It's just that on any given weeknight show, a DCA corps might not see any of those judges, or maybe just one or two. 

Your last sentence.... some of those all-age corps performing on weeknights wish they had a "few hours" before showtime.  Sometimes it might be an hour from when corps members arrive from work, or wherever, until their performance time, since the all-age corps are usually on first, or early, at a show.  Nowhere near the amount of prep/rehearsal they would get at a weekend show.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Your last sentence.... some of those all-age corps performing on weeknights wish they had a "few hours" before showtime.  Sometimes it might be an hour from when corps members arrive from work, or wherever, until their performance time, since the all-age corps are usually on first, or early, at a show.  Nowhere near the amount of prep/rehearsal they would get at a weekend show.

Don’t make excuses Francis for scores being lower when all-age corps are judged on DCA sheets by DCI judges at DCI shows vs when judged at DCA shows. If a organization expected they would be judged lower than ask that their DCA score be withheld from being published because it could be biased when compared to DCA scores from DCA shows and not in a good way.

It’s possible that the DCI judges find it difficult to separate the DCA performance criteria when they’re also judging DCI OC or WC corps, but they’re entirely different sheets which confuses me why they would be lower at a DCI show vs a DCA show. 

BTW Stephan said to say hello!

Edited by Poppycock

9 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

It’s possible that the DCI judges find it difficult to separate the DCA performance criteria when they’re also judging DCI OC or WC corps, but they’re entirely different sheets which confuses me why they would be lower at a DCI show vs a DCA show. 

Well I would say that scoring is subjective even with the current system but Jeff gives me hell when I say that lol..... Seriously marched in three different circuits during the tic era and different standards of what was ticable. So thinking today different standards of what is Box whatever between the circuits 

I’m trying to understand how a judge can use the sheets from another circuit without full training/

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Well I would say that scoring is subjective even with the current system but Jeff gives me hell when I say that lol.....

I’m trying to understand how a judge can use the sheets from another circuit without full training/

You do make a great point. They shouldn’t be ask to judge if they are not trained on the sheets. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Don’t make excuses Francis for scores being lower when all-age corps are judged on DCA sheets by DCI judges at DCI shows vs when judged at DCA shows. If a organization expected they would be judged lower than ask that their DCA score be withheld from being published because it could be biased when compared to DCA scores from DCA shows and not in a good way.

BTW Stephan said to say hello!

I was waiting for "Lighten up, Francis".... :tongue:

Perhaps the lower scores are for that bolded reason... I don''t know for sure.  The sheets aren't radically different... but they're different, and the "tolerance levels"  between DCI judges and DCA judges very well might be different, too. 

There was at least one case in recent years when an all-age corps (Cincinnati Tradition) had no DCA shows before DCA championships, and therefore had to rely on the scores they got at DCI shows for their DCA prelims "seed score."  Maybe that's a reason those corps don't mind those scores being published... but I agree with you, if I'm a DCA corps I wouldn't necessarily want, say, a score of 52 being made public. LOL

Say hello to Stephan for me... and happy holidays to you both!!!

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Thanks 1

Heh.. story for another thread I'm sure... but when Jim mentioned the differences between the various all-age circuits, it confirmed my feeling that the tick system was, basically, as subjective as today's system if not more so. LOL.

In the tick system, a mistake was a mistake was a mistake. Supposedly.  But obviously, there were different interpretations of what a mistake was, depending on a given circuit and a given panel of judges.

Well thinking of a (semi) retirement change of direction after March 1st and maybe look into judging.....

breath easier Fran and Poppycock... look into judging my other decades long interest, antique cars.... 😄

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Well thinking of a (semi) retirement change of direction after March 1st and maybe look into judging.....

breath easier Fran and Poppycock... look into judging my other decades long interest, antique cars.... 😄

Instead of a "tick system" is there a "dent system" for that?  :tongue:

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Heh.. story for another thread I'm sure... but when Jim mentioned the differences between the various all-age circuits, it confirmed my feeling that the tick system was, basically, as subjective as today's system if not more so. LOL.

In the tick system, a mistake was a mistake was a mistake. Supposedly.  But obviously, there were different interpretations of what a mistake was, depending on a given circuit and a given panel of judges.

Oh bleep yeah... question is what is a mistake/tick able...

Does bringing up a horn late occur as the other horns are still coming up or only after second or so after everyone else is up.

Are you out of line more than one inch or more than 6-12 inches

Etc etc and etc

And my flashback with Hershmans voice “it’s a DCA show this weekend, execute #### it execute”. (Other two Sr circuits were more forgiving)

Edited by JimF-LowBari