Carolina Gold

8 hours ago, fsthnds said:

Only approval needed was being granted access to the schedule as an Open Class member which DCI did. My understanding is they were already a touring DCI all age corp and already have access to the DCI schedule. No other approvals needed. Meet the 55 member minimum and 21 and under age restrictions and they are good to compete.

They were approved as an all age corps eligible to compete at DCI Shows (ie Not Soundsport). However you will see that Atlanta CV is also listed at DCI Southeast and they are not competing as an open class corps. They (Gold) do not have DCI open class finals on their schedule yet because they need approval from DCI to reclassify as open class. If not approved I guess they can do their current schedule but with no official scores.  With the new Open Class requirements and the issues with Pioneer I imagine there would be some kind of pretty serious financial review prior to granting open class status. I think DCI wants to make sure they have financial means for an extended tour,  Remember Coastal Surge had their debacle only 100 miles from where Gold is, and I am sure they want to make sure kids don't start the season and have the corps unable to finish the tour.

7 hours ago, Poppycock said:

If all-age corps are getting evaluated on DCA sheets at DCI shows, how do those scores compare to DCA sheets at DCA shows? Why would they travel to attend a DCA show if they’re already getting DCA scores on DCA sheets at DCI shows? 

well...for years, all age corps outside of the northeast got scored on however the DCi affiliated regional circuit wanted to do it. in DCM they were on Division 2 sheets. Can't remember what Cali did. But eventually the circuits agreed to let all age corps be scored on DCA sheets at DCA shows.

the thing is, while the sheets for DCA are very DCA specific, not every DCI judge is up on DCA, especially since DCI has gone to one sheet circuit wide. So you could get some wild fluctuations in the numbers. the important thing all corps decided was the feedback was invaluable, numbers are math. DCA has no field sheets, and the GE caption is..well..it's crazy, like head exploding 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Now I’m really confused! Difficult to believe DCI judges are so incompetent not to understand DCA sheets or the criteria used. Do any DCI judges also judge DCA?

Do all-age corps outside of the NE have better member attendance at DCA shows in the NE than DCI shows closer to their location? I would think it would be the other way around.

Certainly understand that there may be a small percentage of older members having to leave work early, but a few hours to review and warm up should suffice for week night performances. 

the DCi judges aren't incompetent at all. think of it like you would WGI:

would you judge an A class group on World Criteria and tolerances? Hell no. So as many DCi judges don't also judge in DCA, they don't always adjust their tolerance for the weekend warriors.

and you must consider show day mentality. On a weekend, you get all day to rehearse, then perform. on a weeknight, it's often get out of the car, warmup, go on first and boom you're done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the DCi judges aren't incompetent at all. think of it like you would WGI:

would you judge an A class group on World Criteria and tolerances? Hell no. So as many DCi judges don't also judge in DCA, they don't always adjust their tolerance for the weekend warriors.

and you must consider show day mentality. On a weekend, you get all day to rehearse, then perform. on a weeknight, it's often get out of the car, warmup, go on first and boom you're done.

Heh... I remember a "back in the day" story about a guy from Yankee Rebels who had to work on a Saturday, was running late to get to the corps' show in PA, and decided to pull out his soprano and warm up while driving up from Baltimore.

A police officer pulled him over and requested that he put the horn back in the case, and keep both hands on the wheel.  :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

BITD when the corps was almost all locals we practiced two nights a week (Tuesday/Thursday?) and then day of show. When we had more non-local members it was Hell practice Friday night and then either crash at someone’s house for non-bus show or catch buses at 1am for a longer distance show (had all night restaurant near bus pickup). Then breakfast Saturday at wherever could handle 3 bus loads (gag McDs usually) and then practice. Talk about getting your mind into the show.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

BITD when the corps was almost all locals we practiced two nights a week (Tuesday/Thursday?) and then day of show. When we had more non-local members it was Hell practice Friday night and then either crash at someone’s house for non-bus show or catch buses at 1am for a longer distance show (had all night restaurant near bus pickup). Then breakfast Saturday at wherever could handle 3 bus loads (gag McDs usually) and then practice. Talk about getting your mind into the show.

my years, it was always friday night rehearsal, hop bus, go somewhere...maybe a few hours flat....we provided food for breakfast, rehearse, provided lunch, rehearse, eat shower, show, go home. in my earlier years, we often rehearsed on Sunday too, but in 95 and 96 the staff realized that anything you did Sunday you just ended up re-doing Friday night, so on show weeks, we didn't do Sundays. we baked weeks into the schedule with no show so any big changes could be done that weekend with lots of time to clean. 4th of July weekend also worked for that

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Heh... I remember a "back in the day" story about a guy from Yankee Rebels who had to work on a Saturday, was running late to get to the corps' show in PA, and decided to pull out his soprano and warm up while driving up from Baltimore.

A police officer pulled him over and requested that he put the horn back in the case, and keep both hands on the wheel.  :tongue:

I thought you played something other than a soprano?

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, xandandl said:

I thought you played something other than a soprano?

LOL!!!  Before my time in DCA (and Baltimore), and I never marched with YR!!!

17 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

LOL!!!  Before my time in DCA (and Baltimore), and I never marched with YR!!!

i marched a parade in 88...they needed a cymbal playe rand my dad roped me in.

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 10:56 PM, Jeff Ream said:

well...for years, all age corps outside of the northeast got scored on however the DCi affiliated regional circuit wanted to do it. in DCM they were on Division 2 sheets. Can't remember what Cali did. But eventually the circuits agreed to let all age corps be scored on DCA sheets at DCA shows.

the thing is, while the sheets for DCA are very DCA specific, not every DCI judge is up on DCA, especially since DCI has gone to one sheet circuit wide. So you could get some wild fluctuations in the numbers. the important thing all corps decided was the feedback was invaluable, numbers are math. DCA has no field sheets, and the GE caption is..well..it's crazy, like head exploding 

Jeffe - the only shows I remember All-Age being judged on DII/III sheets MIGHT have been the year that DCI "ran" the circuit.  Prior to and afterward, All-age were judged on the SAME sheets as the big boys - until DCM was dissolved.That's how it took "DCA conversion table " to guesstimate the spread between our DCI/ DCM  scores and the prevailing DCA values..