Carolina Gold

1 hour ago, goalieguy said:

Jeffe - the only shows I remember All-Age being judged on DII/III sheets MIGHT have been the year that DCI "ran" the circuit.  Prior to and afterward, All-age were judged on the SAME sheets as the big boys - until DCM was dissolved.That's how it took "DCA conversion table " to guesstimate the spread between our DCI/ DCM  scores and the prevailing DCA values..

ah I remember reading it was on the 2/3 sheets prior to DCM being absorbed.

either way it was a mess. and there is no perfect system. thats the thing about band world where so many circuits share judges, and they all have different sheets. tolerances skew all over the place

Back on topic, more or less...LOL...

Gold's now gone. 13 corps from the 2019 championship are left. Not a good trend, no matter how you look at it.

Are there any new corps/returning corps on the way for 2020?

2 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Gold's now gone. 13 corps from the 2019 championship are left. Not a good trend, no matter how you look at it.

Wish I had better news from my end, Fran.  Last snippits I hear is MBI is going to do Soundsport again this summer.  I was hoping they'd look into Winds for the winter, both as a marketing tool and to get something to restart interest in the hornline.. Can't speak for Chops, Govies, or the Mad Plaid.. I've been 'thrown to the curb' like a number of us  - I CAN tell you that a new color guard is forming locally - featuring some old MBI alumni and past junior corps alums on staff and they have been doing fundraising, soooooo.... Here's hoping !

Pat

1 minute ago, goalieguy said:

Wish I had better news from my end, Fran.  Last snippits I hear is MBI is going to do Soundsport again this summer.  I was hoping they'd look into Winds for the winter, both as a marketing tool and to get something to restart interest in the hornline.. Can't speak for Chops, Govies, or the Mad Plaid.. I've been 'thrown to the curb' like a number of us  - I CAN tell you that a new color guard is forming locally - featuring some old MBI alumni and past junior corps alums on staff and they have been doing fundraising, soooooo.... Here's hoping !

Pat

Sounds like leadership of MBI might be dealing with a case of realism..........................Minnesota in the winter rather than racing from one national gym to another for Winds.

16 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Sounds like leadership of MBI might be dealing with a case of realism..........................Minnesota in the winter rather than racing from one national gym to another for Winds.

I know they were setting up a "home" at Inver Hills CC - with some kind of connection to the Arts programs there.  Haven't heard much other than MBI Winterguard is at one facility in the northern suburbs, and the winter drum is at yet another facility - Totino-Grace HS in Fridley... :ninja:

7 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

i thought I saw highland Regiment was trying to come back. I guess Alliance is officially gone now..dunno about Erie

I thought I read that Rogue Hallow Regiment was possibly going to give DCA a whirl this year, they have done Soundsport, and quite successfully might I add.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, burdettsky said:

I thought I read that Rogue Hallow Regiment was possibly going to give DCA a whirl this year, they have done Soundsport, and quite successfully might I add.

yeah i remember seeing that now, but then dropped off the radar

19 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

..dunno about Erie

Haven’t gotten any mail from them since they went inactive... Dub, Kris and I were on the feed and hydrate the corps at a show plan so good reason to keep me in the loop.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

On 12/4/2019 at 3:54 PM, Fran Haring said:

I really don't know the answer to ur last question. It does not appear there are ANY Cadets2 Models waiting in the wings like everyone had hoped for just a few years back.  The Electronics issue makes it really hard for a start up corps to get going on a grassroots budget without some serious funding or corporate backers. Not to many of those waiting in the wings now days. Bingo is pretty much a dead source of income for most so that's gone too. .  . So it appears DCA in self destructing before your very eyes. 

DCA had the chance to expand and grow back in the mid 2000 when there were lots of smaller to mid size corps up and coming that were enthusiastic about the activity and were making their way to shows. . It chose it course to stay a niche activity in the NE and not foster growth. Now when the alarm bells are sounding people are starting to listen to all that crazy talk that I had about having championships in Indy along side DCI Championships several years ago. Everyone said I was crazy,,that it would not work. That you could not possibly change the date from Labor day. That you could not possibly alienate the Alumni Corps. That there would be no room for I@E or Mini corps. They said to mind my own business to stop the noise. 

DCA remains a DYING NE Niche activity. They got EVERYTHING they wanted and are still fighting for it. Its like driving 100 miles per hour strait towards a brick wall knowing your going to hit that wall but you don't let up on the accelerator knowing where the brake is at. 

• Thanks 2