Carolina Gold

On 12/1/2019 at 12:16 AM, Jeff Ream said:

well DCi hasn't accepted them as of yet. My hunch was tho it was for an all age class.

Only approval needed was being granted access to the schedule as an Open Class member which DCI did. My understanding is they were already a touring DCI all age corp and already have access to the DCI schedule. No other approvals needed. Meet the 55 member minimum and 21 and under age restrictions and they are good to compete.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

We always did DCI SE in Atlanta at CV. My question from earlier last season was what would it take to get a score rather than just a read. I've never taken the time to really look at the differences in the sheets between DCI OC and DCA.

DCI is all the same sheet, OC and WC. the sheets have differences, but moreso, there's a tolerance shift that has to happen. if you judges a weekend only DCA corps with a DCI tolerance, they'd get 40's, maybe 50's.

3 minutes ago, fsthnds said:

Only approval needed was being granted access to the schedule as an Open Class member which DCI did. My understanding is they were already a touring DCI all age corp and already have access to the DCI schedule. No other approvals needed. Meet the 55 member minimum and 21 and under age restrictions and they are good to compete.

well i guess the financial part is the same all around which is good

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, fsthnds said:

That's good news.  For Gold, not DCA. LOL.

Again... I wish them well in their new venture.

28 minutes ago, goalieguy said:

Hey Jimbo !  The DCA -Central corps used to be in a number of the local DCI shows - partly due to co-sponsorship or co-ownership.  Now that only the Govies is a legit field corps, it makes it tough to justify putting the other units into those shows..

Pat

Interesting... thanks Pat

28 minutes ago, fsthnds said:

DCI all age group? First time I’ve seen those words together 

59 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

DCI is all the same sheet, OC and WC. the sheets have differences, but moreso, there's a tolerance shift that has to happen. if you judges a weekend only DCA corps with a DCI tolerance, they'd get 40's, maybe 50's.

I could see scores being a bit higher in some cases.. BITD when MBI and the other Midwest all-age corps competed in DCM - ON THE D-1 SHEETS - the All-agers could count on being between 8-to 15 points back of the DCI caliber corps up to the DCM Championships weekend -  As Brass got bigger, that's what made competing with the 'hotshots' more fun..I can attest to that route providing the competitive jumpstart to MBI's rise to DCA's upper echelon in the mid 80's and beyond..I can recall us giving a brief scare to some of the other D-1 groups in scores at DeKalb more than once - I still remember the stunned reaction when MBI beat the Troopers at a DCM show in St. Peter on the 4th of July..You shoulda heard Jim Jones rake his kids over the coals for losing to "a senior corps" - he hated us from then till his passing.:whistle:

Pat

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

DCI all age group? First time I’ve seen those words together 

tey have several that are considered affiliate members, even listed in the yearbook. that gets the access to perform at DCI shows and get scored, albeit on DCA sheets

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

tey have several that are considered affiliate members, even listed in the yearbook. that gets the access to perform at DCI shows and get scored, albeit on DCA sheets

If all-age corps are getting evaluated on DCA sheets at DCI shows, how do those scores compare to DCA sheets at DCA shows? Why would they travel to attend a DCA show if they’re already getting DCA scores on DCA sheets at DCI shows? 

30 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

If all-age corps are getting evaluated on DCA sheets at DCI shows, how do those scores compare to DCA sheets at DCA shows? Why would they travel to attend a DCA show if they’re already getting DCA scores on DCA sheets at DCI shows? 

To your second question here... the "out of the Northeast" all-age corps often attend those DCI shows because those shows are closer to home (as opposed to potentially breaking the bank on a long trip to the Northeast) , and give the corps a performance opportunity and judges' feedback. Makes perfect sense, especially from an economic standpoint.

To your first question... the scores kinda sorta, maybe or maybe not,  compare favorably.  LOL.  Not a complete "true read" from a DCA panel who might understand the sheets a bit better (even though there are any number of judges who work in both circuits). But, as mentioned earlier... it does give the corps valuable feedback.

***Edit to add***... The numbers also can be affected by factors such as an all-age corps doing a weeknight DCI show and showing up with numerous blanks as a result, or having a very short time to get together, warm up, etc.  (Since a lot of the folks in those corps have weekday job/school commitments.)  I would think a  hurried weeknight performance might not be a true indicator of what a corps is capable of doing.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1