Troopers Drum & Bugle Corps To Hold Auditions In Costa Rica

18 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

How do they justify this? No way that this is a good ROI.

Haha. The entirety of the drum corps activity is not a good return on investment for anybody involved. But that’s not the point. This is where the concept of Ars Gratia Artis comes from!

This is why artists have wealthy benefactors. Even Mozart had one. And this is what drum corps need. The only one I can think of was Bill Cook. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

How do they justify this? No way that this is a good ROI.

Trying to figure that out myself. They will need to obtain visas to visit here since Costa Rica is not a participant in the visa waiver program. Politics aside, i think everyone will agree that this is not the most pleasant of time for someone from Central America to obtain a visa to come here to “work” for a drum corps. Troopers should establish a credit program with a local college that would allow them to be affiliated with an accredited institution of higher learning to make obtaining a visa easier. 

Kudos for thinking outside the box. I work in IT, so by nature I’m looking for problems and risks before they happen. I’m sure they’ve thought through this and have determined that there is a potential up shot for the organization. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Haha. The entirety of the drum corps activity is not a good return on investment for anybody involved. But that’s not the point. This is where the concept of Ars Gratia Artis comes from!

This is why artists have wealthy benefactors. Even Mozart had one. And this is what drum corps need. The only one I can think of was Bill Cook. 

Good ROI = breaking even this year by not wasting money where it doesn’t need to be wasted. Overall, in the year end totals, there is no ROI, but individual expenditures can have a positive or negative ROI. 

10 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

Kudos for thinking outside the box. I work in IT, so by nature I’m looking for problems and risks before they happen. 

Lol comes with the job doesn’t it? 

Retire from my IT job in a few weeks with 40 years. 

• Like 4

It would appear that the Troopers brass tech involved is affiliated with the folks from Costa Rica in some way.    My guess?  The folks from Banda Comunal La Fortuna are footing the bill on this one to bring the experience to their young folks.

From FB:

To advance music...

Today we would like to announce that The Troopers Drum and Bugle Corps will partner with Banda Comunal La Fortuna to bring auditions to every student in Latin America!

TROOPERS IN COSTA RICA

This is a dream that I have had for years and now it is possible! I’m so happy to see that DCI and The Troopers will be now within reach of thousands and thousands of students!

I would like to thank, Kristy Jackson Director de Troopers Drum and Bugle Corps and Erick Quesada Director of Banda Comunal La Fortuna for putting together this life changing opportunity!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

bingo!

37 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Lol comes with the job doesn’t it? 

Retire from my IT job in a few weeks with 40 years. 

I know where you work. the proper term is "escaped"

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I know where you work. the proper term is "escaped"

And now they're setting him loose on the community!!! :tongue:

• Haha 3