as football programs end, Drum Corps will march on

10 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Interesting as familiar with Div III and Div II schools and thought number of scholarships for athletes was the big money difference. And believe Div II and III championship games are this weekend in Texas.

edit: checked and the two MN schools mentioned are Div II

Yep... fewer scholarships and and other differences (obviously, the size of the schools, the facilities, overall budgets, etc.) But there is some really good football at those Div. 2 and 3 levels!!!

You are correct. The Div. 2 title game, Minnesota State vs. West Florida, is Saturday in McKinney, TX... and the Div. 3 championship, AKA the Amos Alonzo Stagg Bowl, is Friday in Shenandoah, TX... North Central (Illinois) vs. Wisconsin-Whitewater. UWW is one of the perennial powerhouse programs in Div. 3.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

Pffft.  Meanwhile Univ. of St. Thomas (St. Paul, MN) is moving up to Division 1 in football from Division 3.  Football is hardly dying. 

Yep... I have a feeling the Fightin' Texas Aggie Band will still be doing those 6-to-5s long after more drum corps have faded from the scene. LOL

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Yep... fewer scholarships and and other differences (obviously, the size of the schools, the facilities, overall budgets, etc.) But there is some really good football at those Div. 2 and 3 levels!!!

You are correct. The Div. 2 title game, Minnesota State vs. West Florida, is Saturday in McKinney, TX... and the Div. 3 championship, AKA the Amos Alonzo Stagg Bowl, is Friday in Shenandoah, TX... North Central (Illinois) vs. Wisconsin-Whitewater. UWW is one of the perennial powerhouse programs in Div. 3.

North Central beat my sisters Alma mater Delaware Valley Univ (Doylestown PA) two weeks ago so pulling for them. My Div II school got upset in first round boo hiss... both games on ESPNU also... 

Funny thing and more corps related is could watch both schools games live via internet. No frills just basic camera shots and announcers doing vocal play by play. And no problems that I have ever noticed in the years I’ve been watching Div II and III playoffs. Considering each home school handles the broadcast that’s a better track record than Box5 or Flo

Edited by JimF-LowBari

When I was a teenager in the 1980s, one of the best bands in Ohio played for a high school with no football team. There were about 150 kids in the school, 75 of whom were in the band.

Also, here's an earlier thread on this subject: Would the end of football mean the end of drum corps?

(Man the internet sucks. The link in that thread to articles about football and concussions no longer works. And the videos of that great 1980s band are no longer on Youtube.)

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

Go North Central Cardinals!  🏈 

• Like 2

Mansfield University has no football team for years now, but the music program and marching band do very well. i think they're the only group that uses the old football stadium.

it's amazing really, cause there aint #### around Mansfield

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Mansfield University has no football team for years now, but the music program and marching band do very well. i think they're the only group that uses the old football stadium.

Very good internet feed for MU sporting events. 
lot of ads for PA Grand Canyon... because... what the hades else is there?

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Yes there is. They make good toilets. 

The band I teach (South Portland, Maine)  does have Class A football, but we have nothing to do with it.  We don't go to games, perform at halftimes, or even have a pep band.  We have a Gold Medal Winning Marching Band (16 years in a row), arguably the State's best Concert Band and Wind Ensembles, Jazz Ensembles, Gold Medal Winter Guard, and now a brand new Winter Percussion Ensemble.

We don't do sports band..ever. As My band director likes toi say, we are not a juke box for the jocks.

And yes, a dozen Maine high schools this past fall went to 8 man football due to lack of interest, so it may be a matter of time...at least outside of Texas and Ohio. :)

• Like 2