as football programs end, Drum Corps will march on

2 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

That’s too bad that you can’t seem to see how the whole benefits from the sum of the parts. The football team / sports teams should appreciate the band. The band should appreciate the school spirit it brings to the sports teams. The school should see how all groups benefit each other. And these groups should support each other. Sounds like a toxic environment. 

It's interesting that you say that because I've always thought the same. I think both parties should have mutual respect and love for one another. When I was in band, I didn't have a great experience with some football players, but I still couldn't wait to get on the field friday nights and play my heart out and cheer my team on, even though I don't think they had the same care for us. And they weren't bad, had decent seasons. Made the playoffs 3 of the 4 years I was there, tho lost in the first round 2 or those 3 times so there's that. And my band also played a "post game" show where we played a standstill run through of our show for the band parents who had to work concessions during games and whoever wanted to stay and here us play again, and there was usually a decent crowd, but no players stayed to watch. The year after I graduated or so the football team seemed to become the band's biggest fans, and even stayed after the game to watch and cheer the band on. And shortly after made it to back to back state title games for the first time in school history. Coincidence? Probably. But to further your point, see what happens when everyone gets along? 😂😉

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Here in NJ, the only college  with a marching band at all is Rutgers, a pretty decent one. None of the other schools have a marching band at all.

But does Rutgers have a football team?🤣

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Here in NJ, the only college  with a marching band at all is Rutgers, a pretty decent one. None of the other schools have a marching band at all.

the band is better than the football team LOL

• Haha 3

I did Baltimore Ravens Marching Band for a few years and, of course, no player appreciation with the exception of Ed Reed and Justin Tucker. Those guys always had something nice to say. In fairness, the cheerleaders were easier to appreciate. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, craiga said:

The band I teach (South Portland, Maine)  does have Class A football, but we have nothing to do with it.  We don't go to games, perform at halftimes, or even have a pep band.  We have a Gold Medal Winning Marching Band (16 years in a row), arguably the State's best Concert Band and Wind Ensembles, Jazz Ensembles, Gold Medal Winter Guard, and now a brand new Winter Percussion Ensemble.

We don't do sports band..ever. As My band director likes toi say, we are not a juke box for the jocks.

And yes, a dozen Maine high schools this past fall went to 8 man football due to lack of interest, so it may be a matter of time...at least outside of Texas and Ohio. 🙂

Performing at half-time, sitting in the stands with your friends and playing your school fight song, going out to eat after, is all part of the high school experience and the joy of being in band.  I’m sorry your Band Director has that attitude and surprised the Principle tolerates it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

I went to the University of Southern California but I wasn't in the band (just couldn't).  USC is unique in the both the band and football team appreciate and support each other.  They have a lot of traditions with each other; "Jock Rally",  showing up and playing during practice,  they schedule social & charity events together,  and of course performing at virtually all athletic events.  It's a mutually beneficial relationship, not a "dumb jock vs. "band geek" thing at all. 

3 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

But does Rutgers have a football team?🤣

I'll get back to you on that.... :laughing:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the band is better than the football team LOL

Right now, that would be correct.  LOL.

The RU band has gotten better in recent years. Saw them at a high school band show a couple of years ago and they did a great job.