as football programs end, Drum Corps will march on

5 minutes ago, Ghost said:

She probably only drives an electric car.

Now I wonder if that would even work in that cold a temp. Do batteries even really hold charge in cold like that? 

12 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Now I wonder if that would even work in that cold a temp. Do batteries even really hold charge in cold like that? 

Not sure, but some have to be plugged in, unless they heat their garages.

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 9:19 AM, HockeyDad said:

That’s too bad that you can’t seem to see how the whole benefits from the sum of the parts. The football team / sports teams should appreciate the band. The band should appreciate the school spirit it brings to the sports teams. The school should see how all groups benefit each other. And these groups should support each other. Sounds like a toxic environment. 

Wow..that was a huge leap of logic.  This is not a toxic environment.  The football players and band members do  not HATE each other here.  In fact, nothing could be further from the truth.  I think a few folks on here are applying their own experiences to what we have in South Portland (Maine).  Let me be clear... it is not a case of a toxic envornment...it is just a case of a different situation than you might find in PA, Ohio, TX FL, etc.  We have 26 players on the team and 80 in the marching band (which, believe it or not, makes us the largest program in Maine).  The typical attendance for a home varsity  football game is a couple dozen parents, compared with close to a thousand (or more) at a typical band show.

Bands in Maine never travel to away football games and only a handful show up to home games.  It is just the way it is.  My point was that we operate completely separately from school sports, and I cannot fathom how that could be a negative.  These kids works hard to not only be in the marching band, but also in the wind and jazz ensembles and most of them routinely audition for and make All State and district festivals.   What exactly is there about playing Louie Louie that some of you all think is so important?

The musicians are all about playing for their school and their program.  Playing for the football players has NEVER been part of the scene for us. The band director and I ( I'm the Asst Director/Visual Designer) have been here more than 20 years each.  It literally has never even come up.  We have outlasted 4 school superintendents and even more hs principals.  We are funded entirely by our booster organization and our members never have to pay a fee of any kind.  It is a great music program,,,we just have nothing to do with sports.  For the record, the indoor winter guard and percussion show we host will attract many hundreds of people more than a football game. Our school superintendent and principal both come to our shows and hand out the trophies to all the competitors when we host, including the state jazz festival. 

Sounds like a pretty simple concept to me!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, craiga said:

Wow..that was a huge leap of logic.  This is not a toxic environment.  The football players and band members do  not HATE each other here.  In fact, nothing could be further from the truth.  I think a few folks on here are applying their own experiences to what we have in South Portland (Maine).  Let me be clear... it is not a case of a toxic envornment...it is just a case of a different situation than you might find in PA, Ohio, TX FL, etc.  We have 26 players on the team and 80 in the marching band (which, believe it or not, makes us the largest program in Maine).  The typical attendance for a home varsity  football game is a couple dozen parents, compared with close to a thousand (or more) at a typical band show.

Bands in Maine never travel to away football games and only a handful show up to home games.  It is just the way it is.  My point was that we operate completely separately from school sports, and I cannot fathom how that could be a negative.  These kids works hard to not only be in the marching band, but also in the wind and jazz ensembles and most of them routinely audition for and make All State and district festivals.   What exactly is there about playing Louie Louie that some of you all think is so important?

The musicians are all about playing for their school and their program.  Playing for the football players has NEVER been part of the scene for us. The band director and I ( I'm the Asst Director/Visual Designer) have been here more than 20 years each.  It literally has never even come up.  We have outlasted 4 school superintendents and even more hs principals.  We are funded entirely by our booster organization and our members never have to pay a fee of any kind.  It is a great music program,,,we just have nothing to do with sports.  For the record, the indoor winter guard and percussion show we host will attract many hundreds of people more than a football game. Our school superintendent and principal both come to our shows and hand out the trophies to all the competitors when we host, including the state jazz festival. 

Sounds like a pretty simple concept to me!

Gee, how conveniently you forgot the comment you made. Hmmm...what was it?  Oh yeah - “We don’t do sports band...ever. As my band director likes to say, we are not a juke box for the jocks.”

You “cannot fathom how that could be a negative”.  Your disdain for the football team and any thought about how your band might actually support the school spirit shown through.  It’s all about you. No matter how you try to spin it otherwise, you made your statement loud and clear. 

12 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Gee, how conveniently you forgot the comment you made. Hmmm...what was it?  Oh yeah - “We don’t do sports band...ever. As my band director likes to say, we are not a juke box for the jocks.”

You “cannot fathom how that could be a negative”.  Your disdain for the football team and any thought about how your band might actually support the school spirit shown through.  It’s all about you. No matter how you try to spin it otherwise, you made your statement loud and clear. 

I have no disdain for the football team or any team for that matter.  The music program is simply not involved in sports at our school.  Not sure why you can't grasp this. And for the record, our band director has also served as the varsity hockey coach for several seasons during his tenure.  You're trying to manufacture tension where there is none, my friend.  The sports teams here do their thing and the music program does its thing, and that was my original point in response to the topic about band without football. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, craiga said:

I have no disdain for the football team or any team for that matter.  The music program is simply not involved in sports at our school.  Not sure why you can't grasp this. And for the record, our band director has also served as the varsity hockey coach for several seasons during his tenure.  You're trying to manufacture tension where there is none, my friend.  The sports teams here do their thing and the music program does its thing, and that was my original point in response to the topic about band without football. 

In Texas don’t mess with football..

in Maine don’t mess with ice hockey... 

4 hours ago, craiga said:

Then why did you say what you said?  You did not say- band simply isn’t involved with sports teams. That’s not how you said it at all. The toothpaste is out of the tube. Sorry but you message was clear, no matter how much you’re trying to backtrack on it now.