as football programs end, Drum Corps will march on

9 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

lol at my college there wasn’t any problem between the team and band. Team had so-so seasons and new players got told to lay off the band as they were the ones supporting the team the most when the team sucked

I don't know of any at West Chester  (Brenda's alma mater). None I've heard of, at least.

As you know, Jim... a lot of similarities between them and IUP.  Two solid football programs and two great bands... where the fans stay in their seats for the halftime show!

Unfortunately, another similarity is that both football teams got eliminated early in the playoffs this season. LOL

• Haha 1

For those unfamiliar with them, Riverside Community College in Southern CA has an incredible marching band called The Marching Tigers modeled after BD (one of their nicknames is “The Orange Devils”) that’s assisted by BD staff folks. I saw their last show over Thanksgiving weekend (I had travelled from Hawaii to watch my son perform in their trumpet section) and the stands were packed with people standing in the aisles just to watch the band. This year’s show featured two of the soloists from BD 2019 and an electric guitar / miked flute “duel” that was just off the charts and left the crowd breathless. There are many DCI performers in their brass/CG/percussion ranks from OC & WC, so much so they have a “Wear Your Corps Jacket” night rehearsal. 

As a bonus, RCC’s football team won that night to go 13-0 and win their conference championship— good times! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Right now, that would be correct.  LOL.

The RU band has gotten better in recent years. Saw them at a high school band show a couple of years ago and they did a great job.

i saw the football team at a high school game, and well, they lost there too

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, TRacer said:

For those unfamiliar with them, Riverside Community College in Southern CA has an incredible marching band called The Marching Tigers modeled after BD (one of their nicknames is “The Orange Devils”) that’s assisted by BD staff folks. I saw their last show over Thanksgiving weekend (I had travelled from Hawaii to watch my son perform in their trumpet section) and the stands were packed with people standing in the aisles just to watch the band. This year’s show featured two of the soloists from BD 2019 and an electric guitar / miked flute “duel” that was just off the charts and left the crowd breathless. There are many DCI performers in their brass/CG/percussion ranks from OC & WC, so much so they have a “Wear Your Corps Jacket” night rehearsal. 

As a bonus, RCC’s football team won that night to go 13-0 and win their conference championship— good times! 

RCC is legit. My Auntie was part of their CG in the late 80's early 90's. All their shows was BD to the max lol. Still to this day my favorite RCC show was when they did BDs 1982 championship show. Think that was 1989.

Edited by Chief Guns
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I went to the University of Southern California but I wasn't in the band (just couldn't).  USC is unique in the both the band and football team appreciate and support each other.  They have a lot of traditions with each other; "Jock Rally",  showing up and playing during practice,  they schedule social & charity events together,  and of course performing at virtually all athletic events.  It's a mutually beneficial relationship, not a "dumb jock vs. "band geek" thing at all. 

You obviously have never been to Columbus, Ohio 🙂

• Like 1

23 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I went to the University of Southern California but I wasn't in the band (just couldn't).  USC is unique in the both the band and football team appreciate and support each other.  They have a lot of traditions with each other; "Jock Rally",  showing up and playing during practice,  they schedule social & charity events together,  and of course performing at virtually all athletic events.  It's a mutually beneficial relationship, not a "dumb jock vs. "band geek" thing at all. 

I grew up in South Central LA off of Florence Ave, about 10-15min walk to the USC campus. FIGHT ON!!!!

19 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i saw the football team at a high school game, and well, they lost there too

Ream??? Dead!!!  Neidermeyer??? Dead!!!  :tongue:

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, oldbandguy said:

You obviously have never been to Columbus, Ohio 🙂

I have been to a game in the Shoe actually.  It was in 2009 vs. USC.  I've seen OSU's band in a few Rose Bowls over the years.  They're good

for a band 😈

• Like 1