Disturbing DCI rumors

1 hour ago, FlamMan said:

Much like the Madison scouts with CK, DCI should have canned DA many years ago. There is way too much bando influence in drum corps these days and what used to be a clear distinction between drum corps and band will be completely gone. Who the heck wants to hear flutes and clarinets in a drum corps show? No thanks.

Still don;t get how that all started with bands do ya.

Then there's the other rumor.  The rumor that George Hopkins has gained 200+ pounds and he is actually running DCI from his basement somewhere in Pennsylvania.  After all, he does seem to have a direct line to the "Supreme Being", the "Creator Deity", and the "Principal Object of Faith".  😂😇😎

Moderators: Please delete if deemed inappropriate.  

45 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Then there's the other rumor.  The rumor that George Hopkins has gained 200+ pounds and he is actually running DCI from his basement somewhere in Pennsylvania.  After all, he does seem to have a direct line to the "Supreme Being", the "Creator Deity", and the "Principal Object of Faith".  😂😇😎

Moderators: Please delete if deemed inappropriate.  

I agree with your last sentence.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2019 at 12:41 PM, Tim K said:

I agree with you about DCI and BOA possibly joining forces, and given the good relationship between the two, or at least what appears to be a good relationship, which dates back to the 1980’s, at least according to the Legacy DVD’s, it’s surprising it has not happened already. Something else that has surprised me is that over the years, none of the band circuits have attempted summer programs for marching band. There are summer programs for youth symphony orchestras and jazz bands, but no marching band programs that compete filled with all star members.  While some may say there are band camps, mandatory band camps are often as fun for aspiring drum corps members as SAT prep is for aspiring writers.

Back in the late 80's into the 90's such a circuit existed, it was called Summer Band International. It was made up of youth bands. SBI would have their own shows and also competed at drum corps shows (at least this was the case out west) utilizing DCI West judges for the competition. I remember being told SBI was looking to usurp DCI as it started to hit hard times in the mid 90's. I don't know why, but youth bands started to fold left and right. At the same time in Southern California in the late 90's, a bunch of Div III and II corps popped up. Corps like Earthquake, Impulse, Esperanza, Pacific Crest, West Coast Sound, and Alliance. I have to assume these corps basically filled the void back then.

Edited by Jeffe77
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, garfield said:

The DA ship sailed long ago.  He's staying.  Get used to it.  That doesn't speak to anyone else and the contention has been since the G7 days that the DCI offices need a good fat-trimming at least, or "...let's let the corps run the DCI functions and we'll be Board and Executive at once" at worst.  DA is STILL not the correct recipient of your fire and venom for the activity turning toward band.  He is, by his own admission, the very best ED that his Board wants him to be.  If you'd finally get the structure of DCI through your head, you'd see your ire should be directed at the voting membership of the activity.  The activity votes these decisions and DA sets off to implement them and market the shows and promote the activity.  The corps make the decisions not the ED of DCI.

So, another one bites the dust with you then?  Drum corps can certainly be the "Major League" and still be bound to the only other sizable participant in the Marching Music For Kids activity.  It's not like when you don't want your food touching on your dinner plate.  We won't DIE if the filet mignon is touching the cheesy scalloped potatoes (I'll leave you to decide which idiom of marching music is which).

But, your vote is registered now as you intended and you should wait until the Rules Congress is over, and even until you actually see the end product, before you condemn it.  There are reasons to be optimistic even as you shoo change off your lawn.  :whip:

Thanks for your condascention, but I disagree with the direction that this activity took the last decade and it continues to destroy everything that was unique about drum corps. I hate to see traditions trampled on.

Edited by FlamMan
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, FlamMan said:

Much like the Madison scouts with CK, DCI should have canned DA many years ago. There is way too much bando influence in drum corps these days and what used to be a clear distinction between drum corps and band will be completely gone. Who the heck wants to hear flutes and clarinets in a drum corps show? No thanks.

And much like the Madison Scouts, there is way more than one man responsible for where DCI is now heading.

2 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

Thanks for your condascentio, but I disagree with the direction that this activity took the last decade and it continues to destroy everything that was unique about drum corps. I hate to see traditional trampled on.

It was correction, not condescension.  Saying that it's unfortunate that you aren't better educated to the facts is condescension, but I'm not saying that.  Your emotional response to losing the unique characteristics of our past drum corps are completely understandable, and I agree with many of them.  It's only that you're misdirecting your scorn for those decisions.  It was the corps, not Dan A.  That's all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, garfield said:

It's not like when you don't want your food touching on your dinner plate.  We won't DIE if the filet mignon is touching the cheesy scalloped potatoes (I'll leave you to decide which idiom of marching music is which).

But, your vote is registered now as you intended and you should wait until the Rules Congress is over, and even until you actually see the end product, before you condemn it.  There are reasons to be optimistic even as you shoo change off your lawn.  :whip:

There are thousands of competitive marching bands.  It is not like we have never seen that end product.

Sorry, but for me, I am all in for the brass/percussion-centric ensemble.  Change it to band, and DCI will not see another dime from me.  I am just not interested in paying to see that.

The only possible compromise that would interest me is if DCI committed to preserving the brass/percussion-centric ensemble.  That would take a pretty strong statement on their part, as well as defining the role of woodwinds as only an accessory instrument, maintaining the brass caption, and so forth.  (And I know that would only last for so long, like their "permanent opposition" to three-valve brass announced in 1976... but I am not in charge.)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

There is an all-instrument proposal on the list. It's not very well-thought out, to be blunt, and stands little chance of getting more than a few minutes worth of consideration in committee before being shelved.

Hearing there's also a proposal to get all judges off the field and limit the mic'ing of horn players to soloists only, rather than doing what SCV did a few years back with a mic'd 'super ensemble" within the line.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Slingerland said:

There is an all-instrument proposal on the list. It's not very well-thought out, to be blunt, and stands little chance of getting more than a few minutes worth of consideration in committee before being shelved.

Hearing there's also a proposal to get all judges off the field and limit the mic'ing of horn players to soloists only, rather than doing what SCV did a few years back with a mic'd 'super ensemble" within the line.

Seems like deja vu all over again. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1