Disturbing DCI rumors

My son attended auditions for his 7th year in DCI (and received a contract) at one of the “Blue” WC corps just this past weekend; there were no reports of any WWs being in the vicinity.  :w00t:

“Drop Off Point”:  I sympathize....when my kid finally ages out in 2021 I’m not sure I can sustain interest in the activity. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Slingerland said:

Hearing there's also a proposal to get all judges off the field 

That would be a shame. 

I like how in 2019, corps responded to the field judge positioning by coming out of hiding and throwing down their musical highlights at point blank range.  In cases like that, I love change!

• Like 1

I don't mean to sound or seem like a jerk.... but if memory serves me correctly, woodwinds in DCI has been a rumored rule proposal for years. I am not a big fan of woodwinds (and I have stated multiple times that I am a clarinetist) in a DCI marching setting, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens. 

But to be fair, woodwind players have been involved in the marching world for years. They may not be marching or playing, but designing/composing shows for many organizations. 

So in conclusion, would I be upset if woodwinds were allowed to partake in a DCI show? Not really, but if you asked me that question about 10 years ago I would have given ya'll a completely different answer. I guess you can call it growth and understanding. Is it different? Sure! If it happens I will keep cheering and hope to instruct/work for The Cavaliers someday. Basically, this Texas kid aint budging one bit! 

Good morning and happy Friday everyone! 🙂

• Like 1

The woodwinds proposal this year doesn't take into account any of the myriad of changes that going full marching band in the traditional sense would cause.

If and when the DCI members are ready to go there, you'd hope they'd do it knowing full well that it will lose them a significant chunk of their legacy fan base (probably including myself) and create a raft of problems in terms of budgets and sustainability for the member corps, since adding 50 new woodwinds players would only jack up the costs of the summer tour (each member on the field is a money-losing proposition for the corps as it is - throwing another tour bus and another 10 to 20 techs and staffers into the equation will only make it worse), and cutting 30 horn spots (if they decided to keep the 154 member limit) to put out a few flutes or saxophones on the field would dilute the sound that people like now.

The most likely proposal that could pass would be to treat woodwinds the way they do string instruments now; as soloists or small ensembles attached to the pit. If someone really wants an oboe solo in their show, fine, whatever, give them that and then tell them to feel proud of their "inclusion." 😎

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Slingerland - Heartily agree with your analysis! 

If DCI ever becomes just “Summer BOA,” I’ll have no use for it.  Always believed the most desirable items are those which are unique and not already available. No doubt whatever is ultimately put out there will be the best of the best. 

I do understand whatever fans are lost will be easily replaced by other enthusiasts.  Besides, no one is taking away the audio/video products I have at hand.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If the writing is on the wall, and drum corps as we know it is inevitably retired to DVD and VHS memories, then so be it!! Ever since we moved from a neighborhood activity to an international one, the changes suggest that at some point ANYTHING goes as long as it meets with the approval of the mm"s and their supporters..Sadly, those of us from BITD , who thought that we were special because of our uniqueness, will just have to accept that we had a "good run" and that maybe it's over..If DCI goes woodwind, it must be because the appeal to bandos is greater than the reminiscing of neighborhood guys like me..I accept this...don't like it but I accept it..Peace

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slingerland said:

The woodwinds proposal this year doesn't take into account any of the myriad of changes that going full marching band in the traditional sense would cause.

If and when the DCI members are ready to go there, you'd hope they'd do it knowing full well that it will lose them a significant chunk of their legacy fan base (probably including myself) and create a raft of problems in terms of budgets and sustainability for the member corps, since adding 50 new woodwinds players would only jack up the costs of the summer tour (each member on the field is a money-losing proposition for the corps as it is - throwing another tour bus and another 10 to 20 techs and staffers into the equation will only make it worse), and cutting 30 horn spots (if they decided to keep the 154 member limit) to put out a few flutes or saxophones on the field would dilute the sound that people like now.

The most likely proposal that could pass would be to treat woodwinds the way they do string instruments now; as soloists or small ensembles attached to the pit. If someone really wants an oboe solo in their show, fine, whatever, give them that and then tell them to feel proud of their "inclusion." 😎

There are two primary reasons for adding woodwinds to drum corps:  Allow the other half of the HS marching band community to participate in the activity in an effort to maintain relevance and to increase the participant/fan base revenue to the activity, and to increase the potential voicing that designers can use to improve fan/judge appeal.

Keeping woodwinds limited to a few players attached to the pit doesn't accomplish either of those in any meaningful way.

Edited by garfield