Disturbing DCI rumors

44 minutes ago, garfield said:

Allow the other half of the HS marching band community to participate in the activity

Forget to add “without learning a new instrument as has been done in the past”.

And what is “relevance” in the DC world. The more you use it the more I read it that DC has to look exactly like DC. Or are you just using a buzz word to say that the activity needs more butts in the seats. If the later problem might not be relevance but ticket cost vs entertainment value

5 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

The financial aspects of the concept haven't been explored in any meaningful way to address the central issue of sustainability. Bands with 200-250 performers have most of the infrastructural expenses of operations covered by their school districts. The band directors are paid for through tax dollars, their rehearsal facilities, etc, etc, are also covered by their school districts. If the average BOA program had to be self-sustaining, they'd never hit the field. 

Drum corps have to eat all of the expense of putting the product out there, and adding more members actually makes it more expensive to run their operations, not cheaper. As far as the central 'product' element of the discussion,  I'd like to see the study that shows that DCI would sell another 10,000 seats at Finals nights because BD all of sudden had a flute section. 

I received zero funds to run my marching band. Nothing from district or school. We compete locally and are responsible for all costs. Most bands in my area pay fees to participate in marching band that could rival some DCI fees. 

• Haha 4

32 minutes ago, inbetween said:

I received zero funds to run my marching band. Nothing from district or school. We compete locally and are responsible for all costs. Most bands in my area pay fees to participate in marching band that could rival some DCI fees. 

Had a crusty WWII vet as band director in 70s. He refused to have the band compete as he saw band as a way for all students to improve themselves. Especially the ones with home or personal issues and could use the self esteem build up working with a group (“you know which kids I mean” and we did know). He said that in the future he wanted the “kids” to be better personally than have another Donny C showcase. His concern was if we competed some band parents would be nasty to these kids with issues.

Donny C - all state quarterback who ripped up his knee in college and fell off face of the earth. Nice showcase of all his awards, photos, etc. (all showing age, dust, tarnish) None of the students had a clue who the #### he was unless they asked their parents. IOW wasn’t doing anyone a #### bit of good...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

38 minutes ago, inbetween said:

Not even free facilities for practice or office space? Staff is paid for via activity fees and fundraisers?

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, inbetween said:

do you have to pay for use of indoor rehearsal sites (classrooms, audit., music labs) or is that all done during class time (for which taxpayers get dunned?)

do you have to pay the janitors their hourly rate and holiday weekend rates or is that covered under school budget (for which taxpayers get dunned?)

Are your musical instruments (all of them)  paid for out of the marching band budget or do you borrow from the school or do you have to pay the school a rental charge?

Is your salary as an educator paid by the school district or by the band parents, or are you considered only a part time educator?

I'm sure if we had some of the super-sleuth DCP accounting buffs on your stalk that we'd find some ways the school covers some of your ultimate costs.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, xandandl said:

do you have to pay for use of indoor rehearsal sites (classrooms, audit., music labs) or is that all done during class time (for which taxpayers get dunned?)

do you have to pay the janitors their hourly rate and holiday weekend rates or is that covered under school budget (for which taxpayers get dunned?)

Are your musical instruments (all of them)  paid for out of the marching band budget or do you borrow from the school or do you have to pay the school a rental charge?

Is your salary as an educator paid by the school district or by the band parents, or are you considered only a part time educator?

I'm sure if we had some of the super-sleuth DCP accounting buffs on your stalk that we'd find some ways the school covers some of your ultimate costs.

1. I have no access to indoor facilities other than my small room(auditorium, music labs lol. what are those). 2. I get no janitors to clean anything outside of sweeping my room once a day. Anything that occurs after school or weekend I am responsible for cleaning and taking care. 3. I get no budget for instrument repairs or maintenance. If something breaks I either fix it or booster club pays to fix it. My school has not purchased a new instrument in at least ten years.  4. I receive no supplements for anything thing I do after school. We also aren't allowed to charge our students fees to participate. All monies have to come from fundraising and donations.

This is the same for the strings and chorus that I teach. As far as salary goes, As I stated this is in reference to marching band. So "super-sleuth" all you want, buddy. 

• Haha 4

16 minutes ago, inbetween said:

1. I have no access to indoor facilities other than my small room(auditorium, music labs lol. what are those). 2. I get no janitors to clean anything outside of sweeping my room once a day. Anything that occurs after school or weekend I am responsible for cleaning and taking care. 3. I get no budget for instrument repairs or maintenance. If something breaks I either fix it or booster club pays to fix it. My school has not purchased a new instrument in at least ten years.  4. I receive no supplements for anything thing I do after school. We also aren't allowed to charge our students fees to participate. All monies have to come from fundraising and donations.

This is the same for the strings and chorus that I teach. As far as salary goes, As I stated this is in reference to marching band. So "super-sleuth" all you want, buddy. 

Slightly different picture now painted.