Disturbing DCI rumors

1 hour ago, garfield said:

No clue, but I've always thought that DCIBands has a decent ring, keeping the past and clarifying the current marketplace.

DCIBands is a great name! But I thought the activity all but renamed itself -- correctly -- a few years ago. They just didn't go all-in on marketing it:

Marching Music's Major League

All encompassing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lance said:

i've wondered for awhile if there are any districts around the country that don't treat marching band as a curricular class.  

all the districts i've taught at do, but i assume there are some districts out there that don't, and that also cut music budgets enough to keep it from even being taught on an extracurricular contract.  maybe this guy is one of those?

nothing to do with the points you all are making about instruments and facility use, of course. 

I think here in NJ a lot of high schools are treating marching band as extracurricular, or at least co-curricular. Where my kids went (the band I taught for 24 years), the marching band has been all-volunteer since the early 80's, like a sport or any other after-school club. Band classes for credit are strictly concert band  from day-1 of the school year. That approach seems to have taken hold in NJ. Don't know about other states.

The school has multiple bands (between 250-300 total band musicians) and an equal number of orchestras, but we struggled to field a MB of 45-55 kids, including guard, once they divided the district into two high schools in the early 2000's.

To save money it’s time to realize there is no reason for DCI to exist. Roll it into BOA. It’s just summer band now anyway. 

20 hours ago, Lance said:

extracurricular contracts usually pay far less per hour, but if teachers are passionate about the sport or activity, it's all good.  

Most teachers/sports coaches I've talked to over the years do it for the added bonus to their retirements.

Edited by Ghost

yeah, it's pensionable in a lot of districts. 

wa state's rule for calculating our pension is based on our highest paying 36 consecutive months, and lots of teachers try to pad the last 3 years of their contracts (which are usually the highest paying, but not always) with as many xc contracts as possible. 

If that is the direction the activity moves, I'll support it.  I'll go see a few local shows, go to a championship or two.  After that, I'll determine whether to say good-bye (for awhile) and wish the activity well or I stay and enjoy a new era of DCI Bands.  I say for awhile because I know I will never truly leave the marching arts activity.  It's also okay if I never come back because my family and I will be gobbled up and replaced by the new flute moms, clarinet dads, saxophone siblings and oboe friends and fans.  That's how it goes in this world but I'm willing to hear and see the other side.  I enjoyed and still enjoy my time and connection to the activity but it does not belong to me, it owes me nothing and I am thankful for the great memories.   

I had a lot of conversations with some people in the upper echelons of DCI this summer. Most of it was about logistics for an open class corps however one thing that was mentioned was getting housing sites, and they said we might have a better shot finding housing for 100 than 150. Most facilities, a gym can do 150 and more stretches it, there are some big gyms, but the larger the corps the harder to find housing sites. Also food trailers built for a corps of 128 is stretched right now feeding 150. Going to 200 would require many corps to get new food trailers with more ovens and more freezer space.   I never discussed increasing the size directly but if that were a thing I think they may have at least given me a clue. 

• Like 2

On 12/19/2019 at 4:25 PM, xandandl said:

Phantom had given us a video that auditions were finished. Now they are having an additional weekend in Beloit advertised as auditions.

Cadets have added an audition time in Texas.

Mere coincidence? Just seeking to fill holes or up talent levels?

Fundraising?