Disturbing DCI rumors

55 minutes ago, xandandl said:

I agree with the general tenor of your comments in full EXCEPT for the sentence you have in brackets; it denies the history of competitive drum corps since WWII. For many of us whose schools did not have instrumental music programs (or marching bands if at all, and that includes public schools especially in urban areas or  schools without football programs or otherwise) drum corps was the beginning of instrumental music not the end zenith after a stint in BOA or College marching bands. That is a major difference in drum corps today; read the histories of Boston (Most Precious Blood) Crusaders, Casper Troopers, (Holy Name, Garfield) Cadets, The Cavaliers, that is, the founding corps of DCI. Even BD started as a glockenspiel ("bell") and drums corps when the SCVs were the Sunnyvale Sparks (associated with a volunteer FD weren't they?) The history of the mms who became DCI and the history of the movement has changed. Unfortunately, those "deprived" kids in neighborhood, Div. 3 or lower corps, are now deprived of much chance in DCI (current or as "Woodwind corps") unless they are self-taught.

Carry on (but not carrion.) 

Bravo!!

7 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

This^^^.  They won’t be putting the toothpaste back into the tube. 

My sincere hope is that any corps who decides to go the route of woodwinds would do so with good judgement and not go too over the top. That being said, we've all seen what happens when props don't have limitations. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

If that were to have happened, it probably would have been when Cadets had one a dozen years back or when Phantom did the "Red Violin" show. You are showing your youth.

it was a rhetorical comment, and the recency of it was intentional.  as you just figured out thanks to your extraordinary knowledge of dci, we've had instrumentation besides "bugles" and drums for decades, especially if you include voice as an instrument. 

so thanks. 

Edited by Lance

On 12/20/2019 at 8:24 AM, garfield said:

There are two primary reasons for adding woodwinds to drum corps:  Allow the other half of the HS marching band community to participate in the activity in an effort to maintain relevance and to increase the participant/fan base revenue to the activity, and to increase the potential voicing that designers can use to improve fan/judge appeal.

Keeping woodwinds limited to a few players attached to the pit doesn't accomplish either of those in any meaningful way.

What's the purpose of turning drum corps into marching band?  There is hiigh school marching band and there is college marching band.  So then what is the need for DCI band.  And a huge amount of money could be put to other and better use.  But oh wait.........that would mean a lot of people would have to find a job elsewhere and a whole lot of people would not be able to supplement their income at the expense of students. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

So why doesn't DCI hook up with BOA and that would obviously make a lot of people happy.  Then a new Drum Corps organization could be formed that is built on great music and great marching principles.  No props, no electronics, no woodwinds, no tarps and no silly and often annoying body movements.   And built on a whole new business model that assures an ongoing financial success. 

The shows that I like best are always the ones before any of the these current trends were introduced. 

3 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Once the camel gets its nose in the tent it’s all over.  

Not necessarily. No one is marching a string section this year, and several corps have used violins in their show - but as featured soloists, which is how it would make sense if a corps wanted to feature a woodwind in the pit.

Just not the oboe. Please God, no oboes....😎 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Not necessarily. No one is marching a string section this year, and several corps have used violins in their show - but as featured soloists, which is how it would make sense if a corps wanted to feature a woodwind in the pit.

Just not the oboe. Please God, no oboes....😎 

I found this for ya buddy. I think I can pretty much guess that this book is one page long and the answer what the first sound is would be "SQUEEEEKKKKKKKK"

Beginning-Oboe-The-First-Sound-W.png

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I found this for ya buddy. I think I can pretty much guess that this book is one page long and the answer what the first sound is would be "SQUEEEEKKKKKKKK"

Beginning-Oboe-The-First-Sound-W.png

roflol

3 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

My sincere hope is that any corps who decides to go the route of woodwinds would do so with good judgement and not go too over the top. That being said, we've all seen what happens when props don't have limitations. 

No ####.  It looks like the circus has pulled into town. 

• Haha 2