Disturbing DCI rumors

9 hours ago, Slingerland said:

Not necessarily. No one is marching a string section this year, and several corps have used violins in their show - but as featured soloists, which is how it would make sense if a corps wanted to feature a woodwind in the pit.

Just not the oboe. Please God, no oboes....😎 

An oboe player the caliber of the musicians in modern DCI could be a great addition. I used an English Horn as a featured soloist with the band I wrote for and taught a number of years ago; it worked well for us. I recall Broken Arrow having a WW quartet that included a bassoon and oboe a number of years back. It was great.  

3 hours ago, MikeD said:

An oboe player the caliber of the musicians in modern DCI could be a great addition. I used an English Horn as a featured soloist with the band I wrote for and taught a number of years ago; it worked well for us. I recall Broken Arrow having a WW quartet that included a bassoon and oboe a number of years back. It was great.  

Go all the way and use a heckelphone. Or three!

(There are reportedly fewer than 100 heckelphones in working order, and they cost about $50,000 apiece.)

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

Go all the way and use a heckelphone. Or three!

(There are reportedly fewer than 100 heckelphones in working order, and they cost about $50,000 apiece.)

Or how about basset horns?

6 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Or how about basset horns?

I've always been fond of krumhorns.

And last but not least, a shawm!

As a kid, I had this piece memorized, but on recorder.

(I highly recommend Munrow's book on medieval and renaissance instruments, published in 1976, the last year of his life.)

Edited by N.E. Brigand

8 hours ago, MikeD said:

New math standards: Crown 2019 + Oboe Soloist = Amazing

6 hours ago, skevinp said:

Oboe he didn't 

I remember when I was 12 or 13 bringing home my first percussion instrument to practice on......crash cymbals. I'm sure my father thought this very same thing.

5 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I've always been fond of krumhorns.

Now THAT is a uniform. Those hats are A-MAZING......