Disturbing DCI rumors

32 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Glenn426, please show more respect for your elders. They worked as hard in their era as you are working now.  Actually, these folks helped build the foundation that enables you to design whatever you prefer going into the next decade. You, Sir, are a “Dino in the making.”

Drum corps is the only activity that asks it’s fans to leave.  Amazing.  

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

Similar to Star wars fans and their very vocal negative TOXIC minority, you stain the rest of us who really understand the true intent of the product and enjoy it not because it meets a very narrow paradigm and rules that where followed decades ago, but enjoy it simply because it exists in the first place. 

I’m a pretty nice person but I have to say, you take arrogance to a new level.  To be sure though, it will come back and bite you right in the a** someday.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m a pretty nice person but I have to say, you take arrogance to a new level.  To be sure though, it will come back and bite you right in the a** someday.  

Irony in using Star Wars as an example is I #### near fell asleep during the 3rd (aka sell Ewok crap) movie. Lost interest and haven’t watch any since.. not even free tv

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I pointed no one out, If you take offense of have an issue with the subject matter then it stands that some of you in the activity need to evaluate why you follow the activity as you do. If it is because there are no Woodwinds on the field then surely you have missed the reason why this activity is so great.

It is not because of the very narrow Paradigm that once existed, but it is for the faces of the young people that you always have such a close view of on the field. Their "super-human" achievements that pageantry, the team building, none of it is tarnished by WoodWinds on the field. And while DCI might not need it to survive and can exist in its current form for another hundred years, what is the fun in that? How many times can you play Appalachian Springs, Blue Shades, The Planets and all of the other "Hits".

These designers like they did in your day need to express themselves by re-creating themselves with new tools to use at their disposal. Its been the one true constant in DCI. CHANGE

6 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

I pointed no one out, If you take offense of have an issue with the subject matter then it stands that some of you in the activity need to evaluate why you follow the activity as you do. If it is because there are no Woodwinds on the field then surely you have missed the reason why this activity is so great.

It is not because of the very narrow Paradigm that once existed, but it is for the faces of the young people that you always have such a close view of on the field. Their "super-human" achievements that pageantry, the team building, none of it is tarnished by WoodWinds on the field. And while DCI might not need it to survive and can exist in its current form for another hundred years, what is the fun in that? How many times can you play Appalachian Springs, Blue Shades, The Planets and all of the other "Hits".

These designers like they did in your day need to express themselves by re-creating themselves with new tools to use at their disposal. Its been the one true constant in DCI. CHANGE

So you’re seriously questioning why I follow the activity?  I have done just about everything you could possibly have done in drum corps except make one red cent from it.   But I thank you for making me feel unwelcome after almost 52 years.  Really, thanks, man. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Irony in using Star Wars as an example is I #### near fell asleep during the 3rd (aka sell Ewok crap) movie. Lost interest and haven’t watch any since.. not even free tv

The last Star Wars movie I saw was Return of the Jedi.   I don’t see the correlation but I’m not as enlightened as I should be.  Apparently. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

So you’re seriously questioning why I follow the activity?  I have done just everything you could possibly have done in drum corps except make one red cent from it.   But I thank you for making me feel unwelcome after almost 52 years.  Really, thanks, man. 

I don't know you personally and I don't mean to question all of it, But would seriously give up all of those 52 years because Woodwinds crept onto the field? I've seen you every year on the 50 for Finals week. Your financial contribution to this activity and all other contributions on this site and others are recognized by all who see the name Terri Schehr on a Post. 

And that's why it puzzles me to see such strong reactions to this line. The WoodWind line. A Forbidden line that cannot be crossed, or Else all tears, sweat, money, plane rides will be for not because Wood Winds crept onto the field. The Instrument used by the members are merely an extension of their bodies. The Instrument does not make the experience. The members make the experience.

I will quote your signature;

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing, the same way, (and I will add) with the same people, and expecting different results.

15 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

Yes we get it. Some follow corps for the “super human achievements” the performers do on the field. Some of us follow it for the entertainment value (even from lesser corps) and if changes make it less entertaining to us then so be it. Everyone is entitled to what they like and talking as if different opinions from yours are wrong is as closed minded as what you claim to speak against.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

39 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

Elders seem to forget that they had their time with the activity. The activity does not serve them any longer. And this activity has far too long served the elders for fear of angering the elders.

If the Elders from today treated the activity the same way in their time, we would still be having VFW drills on the field.

There has always been change in this activity and it will continue. 

I'm just here to say that Elders had their time and need to let it go to become what it is to become. If you want what you had, go to DCA. or start your own Senior Corps where you can bask in the good old days.

Wow.  Simply wow.  You could learn a lot of lessons from your "elders".  You could learn class, diplomacy, tact, and history of the activity, that has been brought to YOU by the "elders".  What is your "elder" starting point?  Take a look around at a show and really see who is there supporting the activity.  The "elders".  They support the activity with their children, their experiences, their education and their $$$.   Look back at your favorite orgs and see where they'd be without the "elders".  I don't want "dino's" to go away anymore than I want young MM's to not like DC.  I do want people with crappy attitudes to go away if they can't generate a more positive outlook on the activity.

I like the activity to be very much like it is.  I'm not a fan of woodwinds because  IMO it would require more amplification and I think we have a sufficient amount of amplification.  I like some things to be what they are;  I like coffee flavored coffee.    Be what you are and be what you are good at and leave it at that.  Here is an idea, stop in to Gate 10 in Indy this year and explain to that "elder" crowd what you think of them.  I am sure you would find a number of elders who would challenge your position.

And here is a thought for this upcoming year:  "In a world where you can be anything...be kind".  I'm giving it a try.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

There has always been change in this activity and it will continue. 

Does changes warrant your arrogant and rude remarks about and/or to legacy fans? BTW who for the most part have the disposable income to support the activity in various ways. There’s a lot of different flavors, but we all have our own preferences. Lighten up sweetie. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2