Disturbing DCI rumors

16 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Well dang Spanky I’m just going to drive right over to the local bagpipe band and demand that they let me join with my trombone. If and they say no I’ll start yelling I’m being disrespected 

Have read over the years that drum corps prepares people for life. Well here’s a life lesson: you don’t always get what you want. And complaining that others should change to suit ME could be seen as selfish.

And want to see facts on your middle paragraph. 

I will say this right back to those who don't want Woodwinds in DCI.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MikeD said:

It is more along the lines of....

Corps style competitive HS marching bands generally consist of percussion, brass, guard and woodwinds.

Corps style college marching bands generally consist of percussion, brass, guard and woodwinds. 

Time to audition for the epitome of Marching Music...DCI  corps.

Percussion...you are very welcome to come on in and try out. We'd love to have you.

Brass...come on down and audition. We welcome you with open arms.

Guard....as soon as WGI season is over, give us a shot.

Woodwinds,....stay away. No room here for you people.

It just makes no sense anymore, when scholastic band programs make  up 99+% of the pyramid of marching music, with DCI corps sitting on top, to exclude woodwinds from the top level of marching music. If the corps that vote for these things want to legalize woodwinds, GREAT! Long overdue, IMO.

Imagine being a kid in 7th grade beginning band not knowing anything about DCI or any of its offshoots. and choosing to play Alto Saxophone because you like the sound and your dad always played Coltrane and Charlie Parker on Sunday mornings growing up. Your best friends choose Trombone and Trumpet. You go all through Middle School and you are killing it on Alto, All-state First Chair etc.., Highly decorated. Your friends are holding their own but they don't practice as much and while talented, do not earn the accolades that you do.

Then you go to HS and you are introduced to Marching band, and by osmosis DCI. You and your friends love the Blue Devils and are their biggest fans. You go to see BD live at a local show and you fall in love, Your friends immediately decide they want to be a Blue Devil one day. And your friends start working on their skills. you on the other hand (the better musician of the three and most decorated musician in your school) also want to march BD but you have to learn a brand new instrument to try and make BD because WW's aren't allowed. The three of you go to auditions and your friends both make it, but while you can march just as good as they can, you don't have a great tone quality, your range is limited and your articulation is not as pristine as a natural brass player. You are Cut. and cant march BD with your friends. Even though you are the most dedicated musician of the three, the most talented, the one who would likely pursue music performance as a profession because you already have a scholarship to prestigious music school for Alto performance. 

Being in those shoes it would be hard not to think that DCI is discriminating against your kind of musician, One that is just as qualified, one that would make a great member, and contribute more to the organization through your musicianship and professionalism.

Having taught Marching band in South Florida for 15 years, I not only saw this once or twice but numerous times across my teaching career. Often times my best marcher in the program was a Woodwind player that could never enjoy DCI like their Brass counterparts simply because of a choice they made when they where 11 years old not knowing how that would impact their teenage years.

And all because DCI never had WW's in its history and tradition so there is no room for growth and understanding how that impacts the Youth of today.

You wonder why DCI gets a bad rap from certain directors and certain school districts and I'd bet that it has roots in this type of thinking towards a young Woodwind player with dreams of marching DCI but never being accepted in the DCI community as the most evil thing that has ever occured.

It does not match DCI's mission statement and its core values from the shoes of a WW player in HS looking to enjoy everything that DCI has to offer.

Mission Statement

The mission of Drum Corps International is to bring the life-enriching benefits and enjoyment of marching music performing arts to more people worldwide. We do this by creating a stage for participating organizations to engage in education, competition, entertainment, and the promotion of individual growth.

Vision Statement

A world in which the positive life-transforming personal and societal benefits of marching music performing arts are widely recognized and enjoyed.

Core Values

Pursuing Excellence: DCI strives to consistently demonstrate excellence in its operations and results and remain the preeminent leader in its field.

Teamwork and Collaboration: DCI promotes effective teamwork, productive relationships, and cooperation to achieve superior results.

Visionary Leadership: DCI leads in moving the marching music performing arts toward a preferred future that inspires others to share the vision and engage.

Commitment and Dedication: DCI works diligently and tirelessly in its devotion to advancing marching music performing arts.

Creativity and Innovation: DCI demonstrates imagination and ingenuity to develop new and effective ways to accomplish its mission.

Mutual Care and Respect: DCI treats all with dignity, courtesy, attention, and appreciation; and seeks these traits in others with whom it engages

The tools currently exist to make WW's a viable option in DCI. Its time for change, so that everyone can enjoy what we all have enjoyed.

11 hours ago, Poppycock said:

And those organizations should be careful about what they wish for. Loyalty has legs. 

of all of the changes in the last 20 years, woodwinds would blow them all away in terms of controversy and fan anger. I've heard many a kid in their target age range say they don't want woodwinds

• Like 4

10 hours ago, oldbandguy said:

I find the comments that DCI should just merge with BOA as if BOA would just say "sure, come join our party."  Why would BOA want that???

they don't

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Glenn426 said:

I will say this right back to those who don't want Woodwinds in DCI.

So how upset would you be if wws are not accepted in DCI? I only watch if entertained so would just quit watching with no heartburn. Walked away for 10 years when more important things came up so know it’s not a big deal at all.

And seriously “discrimination”? Will be going to a Christmas Eve party with some people who could lose their jobs if their sexual orientation came out. (That has been upheld in PA) That’s real discrimination, not “oh they won’t let me play my main instrument in their group”.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Just now, JimF-LowBari said:

So how upset would you be if wws are not accepted in DCI? I only watch if entertained so would just quit watching with no heartburn. Walked away for 10 years when more important things came up so know it’s not a big deal at all.

Similar to other "liberal" political Wants, I will keep championing the cause, to have everyone be equal no matter what instrument they choose. No matter if they want to press 3 Valves or 12 Buttons. No matter if they want to Buzz their lips or buzz a Reed..

Funny how much these things align.

Just now, Glenn426 said:

Similar to other "liberal" political Wants, I will keep championing the cause, to have everyone be equal no matter what instrument they choose. No matter if they want to press 3 Valves or 12 Buttons. No matter if they want to Buzz their lips or buzz a Reed..

Funny how much these things align.

Champion all you want... but championing your side by insulting those who have differing opinions is self defeating

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Champion all you want... but championing your side by insulting those who have differing opinions is self defeating

Here I thought I was being nice for holding the door, Didn't think it to be taken as an Insult.

But perhaps you are right, Perhaps DCP is the place of people who will never change their minds and are set in their ways, A Safe place where the norms are not challenged, and organic growth is frowned upon because the Donors/ Elders are the only ones that matter here. 

Reddit seems more my speed anyway, Anyone mind holding the door?

6 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

Here I thought I was being nice for holding the door, Didn't think it to be taken as an Insult.

But perhaps you are right, Perhaps DCP is the place of people who will never change their minds and are set in their ways, A Safe place where the norms are not challenged, and organic growth is frowned upon because the Donors/ Elders are the only ones that matter here. 

Reddit seems more my speed anyway, Anyone mind holding the door?

Annnnnnd..... you just proved my point... if you look back on your posts and the responses there are more keystrokes used in responding to your snide comments than actually discussing the issue. (So much for a chance to have people change their minds to your side) If this is how you deal with people disagreeing with you in real life, good luck cuz you’ll need it

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 1