Disturbing DCI rumors

42 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Wonder what Terri’s husband would have to say about this! 

My thought too.. followed by breaking the internet.... 🤬

And people wonder why I don’t post my real name..... but Terri knows what I look like..😛

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

My thought too.. followed by breaking the internet.... 🤬

And people wonder why I don’t post my real name..... but Terri knows what I look like..😛

You mean that your last name is not LowBari? 🤣 Explains why I couldn't find you in the phone book.

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, Barneveld said:

Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya. 😉

I've never understood the combination of gutteral language, disdain, and contempt that this phrase exhibits.

The lack of care for dying activity is hard to understand.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Slingerland said:

You're never going to address the financial realities, are ya? 

The corps can't afford to grow in size since every member costs them much more than they pay in tour fees and they're losing money as it is. There would be no noticeable uptick in ticket or media sales (if anything, it might decrease). The legacy fans who provide most of the charitable contributions that make drum corps viable now don't want it, and would be turned off by it. There is no chance that a major corporate sponsor will say "oh, they have woodwinds now? Let's sponsor the summer tour!"

Financially, it's a total loser of a proposition, and would provide nothing except for a few individuals to feel all virtuous about their "inclusiveness." I would suggest that those who want summer marching band talk to DCI about creating a division for them, and start building their own bands with their own free-standing non-profit orgs to sponsor them. Surely there must be at least 7 or 8 groups that would form. Let them have their own class championships during Finals week - in fact, go to three bands and nine corps for Finals night and call it a thing. 

Have the courage to run with your big idea and start it up from scratch, the way the founders of the corps did with their organizations. Problem solved!

You mean like Open Class then, right?

7 hours ago, Slingerland said:

Most snare drummers in today's corps had to learn traditional grip in order to do drum corps, since almost every band program teaches match grip from the beginning and has for 30 years.

Every kid spinning a rifle or a sabre had to learn that skill, since it's not taught as part of classroom curriculum anywhere that I know of.

If a saxophone player is so into drum corps that they really want to march, they can learn one of the skills necessary and audition. There have been and are plenty of members whose primary instrument is a non-drum corps instrument and they were able to figure it out.

Hold on.  This is not accurate.

Most midwestern band programs teach traditional grip as a solution to the original issue of carrying drums up high.  We NEVER taught or learned matched grip - it was always the ######## step-child.

Your point is valid, it just doesn't include the traditional grip argument as you describe it.  I played Slingerland's, too.

8 minutes ago, garfield said:

The lack of care for dying activity is hard to understand.

The dying activity left me. I didn’t leave it. That might be why there’s a lack of care. You’re probably being sarcastic about the “dying activity “ thing though. 

11 minutes ago, garfield said:

Hold on.  This is not accurate.

Most midwestern band programs teach traditional grip as a solution to the original issue of carrying drums up high.  We NEVER taught or learned matched grip - it was always the ######## step-child.

Your point is valid, it just doesn't include the traditional grip argument as you describe it.  I played Slingerland's, too.

G, I know enough of you to know you didn't attend grade school or high school within the last 25 or 30 years. 😁

They start them on match these days, and it's match throughout (including marching band) here in the central midwest. The ones who learn trad are generally self-taught for starters, then they get more development as their interest deepens.

Edited by Slingerland

1 minute ago, Slingerland said:

G, I know enough of you to know you didn't attend grade school or high school within the last 30s years. 😁

They start them on match, and it's match throughout (including marching band) here in the central midwest.

<Blush>  True (but High School you're stretching it just a little).

Honest, I've been watching drumlines at band shows for decades, and even this season, and I've see a grand total of two lines playing matched.  Maybe three.

Again, you're point is valid.  If a snare has to learn traditional to make a corps, your point is more enforced.

Those who want, do.