Disturbing DCI rumors

Newseditor44, I believe you are correct about woodwinds, and for the reasons stated.  There is new money to be made. Enough to hold over until the next big addition. Even If this newer version corps amounts to just 12 full member participants on the road, that will suffice to provide the needed visibility.

Who knows?  The next wave might include an accordion squad.  Would that be wind or percussion?

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Oh, ‘dem golden slippers . . .

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Fred Windish said:

Newseditor44, I believe you are correct about woodwinds, and for the reasons stated.  There is new money to be made. Enough to hold over until the next big addition. Even If this newer version corps amounts to just 12 full member participants on the road, that will suffice to provide the needed visibility.

Who knows?  The next wave might include an accordion squad.  Would that be wind or percussion?

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Was going to say bagpipes but have a 1962 recording of a corps with pipes (USAF Bolling Field Washington DC)

Newseditor, you say woodwinds are coming and there’s nothing we can do about it. Sure there is. I, for one, have zero interest in a summer band circuit.  So I have options. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

Newseditor, you say woodwinds are coming and there’s nothing we can do about it. Sure there is. I, for one, have zero interest in a summer band circuit.  So I have options. 

Yes you do, but that’s not going to stop it. Whether it happens this year or 10 years from now, it’s going to happen. Maybe it starts as part of the front ensemble and grows over the years, or we add an instrument at a time (like saxophones) I am absolutely certain it’s going to happen. And it will happen sooner rather than later.

And I agree, it’s going to drive people away, just like electronics did (maybe a larger number of people) but it will also attract new fans and followers, including new band parents. So while you might think that threats of starting a mass exedos would curb the potential of bringing wood winds in, it won’t.

Don’t think that this is something that DCI takes lightly either. They’ve studied it, understand the potential impact both financially and from a fan standpoint. They’ve researched it to death. They know how they’ll market it, they know the potential impacts bit positive and negative. A decision this big will have solid research behind it. 

And as much as a bunch of hardcore fans like us might. It like it, I predict the next generation of fans won’t be as opposed to it as we are. 

Edited by Newseditor44
  • Thanks 1

I loved Band. I still love band.

Drum Corps is not band. If or when it becomes band, I’m most definitely out. I have zero interest in a marching band circuit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

And I agree, it’s going to drive people away, just like electronics did (maybe a larger number of people) but it will also attract new fans and followers, including new band parents. So while you might think that threats of starting a mass exedos would curb the potential of bringing wood winds in, it won’t.

Don’t think that this is something that DCI takes lightly either. They’ve studied it, understand the potential impact both financially and from a fan standpoint. They’ve researched it to death. They know how they’ll market it, they know the potential impacts bit positive and negative. A decision this big will have solid research behind it. 

I doubt a single person became a drum corps fan because of electronics.

All that happened is that the departure of legacy fans who didn't care for electronics was offset by the regular annual addition of family and friends of new corps members.

I'm also skeptical of DCI's research. Sure it's probably better than the kind of justifications that George Hopkins used to put forward when pushing for changes, which to all appearances were just his gut impulses. But working for an arts organization that has engaged numerous research firms through the years, the truth is: sometimes the audience research is right, and sometimes it's not, and you don't know until after you implement the changes based on the research and see whether they worked or not. Usually the research costs too much to do properly. And don't expect DCI to admit publicly if they later have regrets! 

3 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

Yes you do, but that’s not going to stop it. Whether it happens this year or 10 years from now, it’s going to happen. Maybe it starts as part of the front ensemble and grows over the years, or we add an instrument at a time (like saxophones) I am absolutely certain it’s going to happen. And it will happen sooner rather than later.

And as much as a bunch of hardcore fans like us might. It like it, I predict the next generation of fans won’t be as opposed to it as we are. 

Nowhere did I make threats of starting a mass exodus. Where did you get that from?  I simply stated I have no interest in summer marching band. I will move on. 

What I fail to understand, is the NEED for woodwind instruments when we have electronics that can reproduce just about any sound(instrument) ..So designers NEED to alter the current aesthetic for bandos who want to march drum corps?..As have many mm's you learn to be a multi instrumentalist to FIT in if drum corps means that much to you..Seems like the sacrifice part is eliminated as drum corps says: " come on in woodwinds, we've changed to meet YOUR needs"..IMHO..peace

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

<snip>

... So, it's a wash then, right?  Remember, the math of your excited expectation of new participants and fans extends only to replace those leaving.  And I think it's rarely true that someone not otherwise connected to the activity becomes a fan.  In fact, the ONLY such fan I've ever known in 45 years of following along is our very own N.E. Brigand.  If you ever have the chance to see his copious notes on the marching activity taken live from the stands, you can clearly tell that he's actually a one-in-a-bazillion case.

Your new band parent claim is also likely true; as MM rotate in and out it's reasonable to think new MM parents are replacing alumni parents who no longer go.  Any horn player that gets cut to make room for a WW makes the benefit of the WW a net wash to finances.  Your excited expectation of new, organic fans in addition to those who don't leave only adds to a positive net if the MM limit is raised to "make NEW room" for WWs (and their audition/tour/membership/education fees).  

I would contend that the drum corps' careful considerations as you imply will drive them to likely table the idea in all meaningful, non-marginal, ways until other requisites are considered "in place" even if the tabling lasts hours instead of months, seasons, or years.  The logistical requirements of what's being considered are substantial and need to be addressed before WW would reasonably be adopted by any corps.  Drum corps that initially may drool at the prospect of 50-odd new member dues can be quickly shaken back into reality by considering things like How does a typical drum corps show actually FIT seven or 8 more buses, plus new equipment trucks and kitchens, onto a typical HS stadium parking lot?  Where does a corps actually PUT the extra 50 MMs in the host school?  In the cafeteria?  Schools charge rent by areas needed.  Plus more driver rooms and a litany of other issues I suspect Ream is about to regale...  Ding, ding, ding...that's the expense bill increasing.  LOTS to be seriously considered before any of this is as certain as you suggest.

Also, I'll challenge your seeming certainty of the eventual outcome.  Besides wondering if you can tell me when it will snow in central Ohio next or, better, the winning lottery numbers or where the stock market will close in February (or TODAY even!), I also wonder if the "signature sound" of some corps will be changed to adopt the shaky benefit of clarinets or marching flutes.  It's entirely possible the saturation point has been reached and that there's a greater concern now of the activity "jumping the shark" into irrelevance by making massive changes like this with unproven and only-hoped-for benefits (I'm hopeful that those tendencies were pushed out of the activity like so many recent directors and old guard).  Besides, increasing the number of performers also increases the revenue if all of those new MMs are horn players, too.  Anyone going to complain about another 50 horns in Crown's brass line?

Edited by garfield
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

You think DCI thought this through?? Really?? This is DCI were're talking about. If they really wanted to do this right they would have a open forum and get as much info from everyone as possible. The way this is happening it is being shoved down our throats and they hope they don't ruin drum corps. Im not traveling to finals to see a band and anyone I have spoken to feels the same. If DCI needs more income there are many ways to do it beside turning it into marching band. Did they try to get back any of the fans that left because of the dancing, singing, no drill, electronics??? Answer is no because they don,t care. It's all about the cash.

• Like 1