Disturbing DCI rumors

8 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

I loved Band. I still love band.

Drum Corps is not band. If or when it becomes band, I’m most definitely out. I have zero interest in a marching band circuit.

I think this is where I am at honestly. I've taught competitive HS band for almost 20 years since aging out. I love band and I think the top BOA bands have phenomenal talent. Even some great non BOA bands as well. However I think there is something stylistically different about drum corps due to the instrumentation that will change when/if woodwinds are added. I don't think I can sustain interest in 6+ months of competitive "marching band".

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, waliman4444 said:

What I fail to understand, is the NEED for woodwind instruments when we have electronics that can reproduce just about any sound(instrument) ..So designers NEED to alter the current aesthetic for bandos who want to march drum corps?..As have many mm's you learn to be a multi instrumentalist to FIT in if drum corps means that much to you..Seems like the sacrifice part is eliminated as drum corps says: " come on in woodwinds, we've changed to meet YOUR needs"..IMHO..peace

Well, it seems your answer is self-evident.  We can also reproduce horns and all of the pit with A&E and yet, there they are on the field each summer.

6 minutes ago, waliman4444 said:

What I fail to understand, is the NEED for woodwind instruments when we have electronics that can reproduce just about any sound(instrument) ..

That is an excellent point.

You just spoiled it for those who wanted to spend the next ten pages of posts extolling the virtues of releasing designers from the creative shackles of drum corps.  Their sonic palette has been unlimited since 2009.  That is not what this change is about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, jonwoody said:

You think DCI thought this through?? Really?? 

I see single DCP posts that show more forethought than final, ratified DCI rule changes.

This is DCI were're talking about. If they really wanted to do this right they would have a open forum and get as much info from everyone as possible. The way this is happening it is being shoved down our throats and they hope they don't ruin drum corps. 

"Shoved down our throats" implies they are willing to face the public with their proposed change.  Until/unless there is a press release, the more appropriate anatomical analogy would have to be somewhere on our backsides.

• Haha 1

I really do not expect full use of woodwinds (or any other new instrument in the interest of equal opportunity). For now, just introductions as part of the pit.  However, would the time length of each show be increased to accommodate woodwinds getting their own exclusive chance to shine as an ensemble?  If not, sounds like even less playing time for brass!  Ouch.

32 minutes ago, garfield said:

Besides, increasing the number of performers also increases the revenue if all of those new MMs are horn players, too.  Anyone going to complain about another 50 horns in Crown's brass line?

Yes.  I will.

Another 50 horns in a pre-existing corps is at best an incremental benefit.  I would rather see another corps.  I would rather see Crown follow the lead of Academy, whose second program offering (Phenom) is planning to join open-class in 2020.  Blue Devils, Vanguard and Colts already figured out that you can serve more kids in this manner.

11 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

Don’t think that this is something that DCI takes lightly either. They’ve studied it, understand the potential impact both financially and from a fan standpoint. They’ve researched it to death. They know how they’ll market it, they know the potential impacts bit positive and negative. A decision this big will have solid research behind it. 

I will all but guarantee you this is not true. DCI doesn't have the resources to do the deep level of market research this move would require (or a history of doing research at that level). However, if anyone here has participated in a poll or survey with DCI in the last year or so that specifically addressed the "any instrument" question, I'll be happy to acknowledge that I'm wrong on that point.

The corps, and their individual BODs, know more than anyone what the budgetary effects of the change would be, and they're not necessarily enthusiastic about it. My guess is that they'll table the proposal and move on to the more immediately actionable changes in the docket (moving judges off the field and limiting use of mics for the hornlines). 

12 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

And I agree, it’s going to drive people away, just like electronics did (maybe a larger number of people) but it will also attract new fans and followers, including new band parents. So while you might think that threats of starting a mass exedos would curb the potential of bringing wood winds in, it won’t.

Don’t think that this is something that DCI takes lightly either. They’ve studied it, understand the potential impact both financially and from a fan standpoint. They’ve researched it to death. They know how they’ll market it, they know the potential impacts bit positive and negative. A decision this big will have solid research behind it. 

You know, every time one of these changes needs to be pushed uphill, we hear these platitudes about "attracting new fans", or "blah blah blah research blah blah blah".  Can you demonstrate either one of these contentions?

We have people here who are current supporters of drum corps, testifying that their support of the DCI activity will not continue if it transitions to marching band.  Where is there a comparable aggregation of people who are NOT current supporters of drum corps, but will be if only DCI added woodwinds?

Tell me more about the research.  How does one research non-fans to determine what will make them fans?  How can you even ask them questions about an activity they know nothing about, and expect meaningful, specific insights in their responses?

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Yes.  I will.

Another 50 horns in a pre-existing corps is at best an incremental benefit. 

One of the “fathers” of MB drill design in the 50s/60s was A R Casavant. Had his son Charles as director in college and Charlie tried to keep up with dad in complex drill. He kept the band around 150 members because “too many people get in the way of my drill”.

42 years ago and still remember the quote

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

You know, every time one of these changes needs to be pushed uphill, we hear these platitudes about "attracting new fans", or "blah blah blah research blah blah blah".  Can you demonstrate either one of these contentions?

We have people here who are current supporters of drum corps, testifying that their support of the DCI activity will not continue if it transitions to marching band.  Where is there a comparable aggregation of people who are NOT current supporters of drum corps, but will be if only DCI added woodwinds?

Tell me more about the research.  How does one research non-fans to determine what will make them fans?  How can you even ask them questions about an activity they know nothing about, and expect meaningful, specific insights in their responses?

I find it interesting that,when you talk to people at drum corps competitions, a number of them are corps member parents

who only started following the activity because of their child.

They make it clear that their interest will end when their kid leaves.

Adding WW won't change that.

It also seems,based on purely empirical observations,that only a limited number of former 

corps members,become hard corps fans when they stop marching.

Again,adding WW won't change that either.

As I've posted,if marching band is so popular,why isn't there a Summer marching band

circuit,similar to drum corps.

As someone else posted,adding WW to Drum Corps has one big plus for show designers.

They can use the same design for their high school band and the corps they design for.

Given the number of "band people" designing for corps,what's not to love ?

At least for them.