Disturbing DCI rumors

For years I have posted numerous times on DCP about DCI and smaller corps benefiting by going to a regional model. 

Divide it by regions, West, South, etc. (5 Regions). **See Below**

Start the tour on 2nd week of June through the end of June.. At the end of the regional tour, have a regional championship, with the regional winners getting a spot in the top 5. But this will require all corps in the region to only compete within their region. One exception, every 4 years a corps , one corps may compete at another region, as long another corps from the recipient region sends a corps to that region for the sake of competitive balance. For example, if the Cavaliers visit the west region, then the west region corps will need to compete in the midwest region, whether it's BD, SCV, etc. Same goes with the open class which is already the case. Then a short week break for July 4th parades, travel to start the national tour etc. 

National tour could start the week after the 4th of July Break.

Here are the numbers, please feel to correct me here as I did this off the top of my head:

West - 5 World Class Corps, 8 Open Class and 1 Soundsport = 14 - DCI West or DCI Pacific
Northwest - 4 WC, 4 OC, and 2 SS = 10 - DCI Northwest
South -  5 WC, 4 OC, and 5 SS = 14 - DCI South
Midwest - 6 WC, 4 OC, and 5 SS = 15 - DCM (Drum Corps Midwest)
East - 3 WC, 6 OC and 5 SS = 14 - DCI East

As you can see, there are enough units to field shows per region. Also gives the OC corps the option to give their members opportunity to compete in the regional tour only which is a win financially, plus giving the ample performance/competing opportunities. 

M87ymaeV.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

then choose your words wisely. 

I do. But some people will twist them no matter how hard you try. 

Edited by HockeyDad

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

I do. But some people will twist them no matter how hard you try. 

welcome to DCP

2 hours ago, Jeffe77 said:

For years I have posted numerous times on DCP about DCI and smaller corps benefiting by going to a regional model. 

<snipped most of the comment for brevity>

It seems like you're proposing that the World Class member greatly limit themselves for the benefit of the Open Class and SoundSport participants? I don't think that has a chance of passing.

• Like 1

In best-case, DCI shouldn’t be concerned much with Open Class, any more that what MLB does with the Minor Leagues.  The difference here is drum corps has a fraction of membership than it once had.  The activity will struggle to sustain itself on 25 “World Class” corps.  Like it or not, DCI NEEDS the Open Class corps. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

In best-case, DCI shouldn’t be concerned much with Open Class, any more that what MLB does with the Minor Leagues.  The difference here is drum corps has a fraction of membership than it once had.  The activity will struggle to sustain itself on 25 “World Class” corps.  Like it or not, DCI NEEDS the Open Class corps. 

Right now MLB is looking to get rid of about 25% of the minor league teams as a “cost cutting” move. 

25 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Will it? Who among us has not looked at the schedule and decided that they can show up by 8:03 or whatever?

16 hours ago, Jeffe77 said:

Divide it by regions, West, South, etc. (5 Regions). **See Below**

Start the tour on 2nd week of June through the end of June.. At the end of the regional tour, have a regional championship, with the regional winners getting a spot in the top 5. But this will require all corps in the region to only compete within their region. One exception, every 4 years a corps , one corps may compete at another region, as long another corps from the recipient region sends a corps to that region for the sake of competitive balance. For example, if the Cavaliers visit the west region, then the west region corps will need to compete in the midwest region, whether it's BD, SCV, etc. Same goes with the open class which is already the case. Then a short week break for July 4th parades, travel to start the national tour etc. 

National tour could start the week after the 4th of July Break.

Here are the numbers, please feel to correct me here as I did this off the top of my head:

West - 5 World Class Corps, 8 Open Class and 1 Soundsport = 14 - DCI West or DCI Pacific
Northwest - 4 WC, 4 OC, and 2 SS = 10 - DCI Northwest
South -  5 WC, 4 OC, and 5 SS = 14 - DCI South
Midwest - 6 WC, 4 OC, and 5 SS = 15 - DCM (Drum Corps Midwest)
East - 3 WC, 6 OC and 5 SS = 14 - DCI East

As you can see, there are enough units to field shows per region. Also gives the OC corps the option to give their members opportunity to compete in the regional tour only which is a win financially, plus giving the ample performance/competing opportunities. 

M87ymaeV.png

You've obviously put effort and time into this, but some of it seems a bit arbitrary merely to fit the corps into the equations, rather than the equations to the corps.

For instance, Denver is contiguous to Academy but are destined for Seattle; same with Battalion and Casper.

Bluecoats are a mere 7 hours from Allentown but have to meander two days to Fargo to appease the model.

The idea is workable, details need tweeking. Perhaps a Rocky Mt. region?

Exactly what problem for WC corps would regional associations solve?  Would designers knock their fees down? Does it cost less to feed 200 people out of a Sysco truck in one town than it does another town 1000 miles away? Would insurance costs go down significantly?

Edited by Slingerland

The recently mentioned Regional tour the last two weeks of June would actually add two weeks to some corps summer model.  Not every WC or OC corps come out in June.