Disturbing DCI rumors

49 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

I think at some point DCI needs to mandate when corps can begin spring training to somewhat level the playing field and look to cut costs. I would also be in favor of a shorter tour schedule, but I don't see either of these happening. 

I would rather DCI leave that mandate undone.  I think corps can satisfactorily gauge their ST needs and leaving corps to choose when, provides flexibility to stagger ST starts for sections, or locations.  For instance BAC had an earlier percussion start a couple of years ago than the brass & guard start.  BAC also did ST in California when they started tour in Cali.  The differences in starts may also be accommodating college MM's, vs more HS MM's.  Which is actually more of a function of corps membership.  I agree with you that it may not happen anyway.  For a shorter schedule, corps seem to be on that path already.  There was a reduction in tour shows for most corp last year.  Maybe no corps do back to back to back shows or cap the number of competitive performances?    Just a thought.

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Unless you start ST later.  Which may need to happen as schools end the year later (in my part of VA school typically doesn't let out until mid June).

True for public K-12. Most WC corps deal with primarily college-age students. 

4 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Unless you start ST later.  Which may need to happen as schools end the year later (in my part of VA school typically doesn't let out until mid June).

colleges don't. until they do i don't expect much change

16 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

colleges don't. until they do i don't expect much change

Then again, according to the Journal of Higher Education articles, more colleges are switching to quarters/focus times and tri-mestesters as a way to bring cash revenue from previously empty/unused lecture halls and facilities. In the drum corps world this has often been a shift for engineering, medical arts, and non-music majors as colleges re-align required courses and preferred professors. I can cite several times when contracted mms, especially in the battery, had to defer corps membership for particular seasons as grades and course changes required Spring (and sometimes summer) studies. Have to have someone in those summer classes besides football, wrestling, and basketball collegiate athletes. With the number of high schools and colleges in the US, there is no one way of doing it; what is common is changing as well.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Then again, according to the Journal of Higher Education articles, more colleges are switching to quarters/focus times and tri-mestesters as a way to bring cash revenue from previously empty/unused lecture halls and facilities. In the drum corps world this has often been a shift for engineering, medical arts, and non-music majors as colleges re-align required courses and preferred professors. I can cite several times when contracted mms, especially in the battery, had to defer corps membership for particular seasons as grades and course changes required Spring (and sometimes summer) studies. Have to have someone in those summer classes besides football, wrestling, and basketball collegiate athletes. With the number of high schools and colleges in the US, there is no one way of doing it; what is common is changing as well.

Funny,after studying the matter, Ohio switched to semesters.

There are pluses and minuses to both.

What seems to having more of an impact on colleges is the explosion in on-line classes.

They are not only cost effective,but can really speed up getting a degree.

A perfect example is the number of "Grad Transfers" in athletics.

22 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

Funny,after studying the matter, Ohio switched to semesters.

There are pluses and minuses to both.

What seems to having more of an impact on colleges is the explosion in on-line classes.

They are not only cost effective,but can really speed up getting a degree.

A perfect example is the number of "Grad Transfers" in athletics.

Well, good luck in the Potato Bowl. Which team will get..........fried?

21 hours ago, MikeD said:

True for public K-12. Most WC corps deal with primarily college-age students. 

I believe that outside of the top 2-4, most WC Corps have a fairly significant high-school age membership.  Even if it is only 20-30% HS, how efficient is it to go into spring training with that many members not present who will need to be worked in once they arrive? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xandandl said:

Well, good luck in the Potato Bowl. Which team will get..........fried?

As a Bobcat Alum,Thanks.

But actually I was referring to the State of Ohio.

The State was trying to require the same system for all public colleges.

Ohio State fought semesters screaming and kicking.

Why ?

Football.

When they were on quarters,they didn't start classes till mid/late

September.

That gave almost a month of "class free" practice.

Now they start classes the week before Labor Day

And going O.T.

Really hoping the kid from Athens,Oh.can pull off a

win for the National Championship.

Edited by rpbobcat
  • Like 2

On 12/19/2019 at 1:57 PM, cixelsyd said:

The next DCI Rules Congress is nearly upon us.  Caucuses and voting will take place at the DCI annual meeting in Indianapolis, January 9th through 11th, 2020.

Given how close we are to this event, it is curious that we have heard nothing official from DCI about the proposals that will be up for consideration.  Rule change proposals are processed per a set timetable from when they are submitted in mid-October to when the deadline for distribution of the final proposals occurs on December 15th.  Last time DCI had their biannual Rules Congress, they finished the refinement process a bit early and went public with the proposals on December 13th.  This time... crickets.

We are halfway from the time of this post and the Janual vote.  And still, silence from DCI.