Disturbing DCI rumors

49 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Waiting for the Marcuals in March.... 😜 getting just a bit punchy two months from retirement....

If you have any sick time left, use it up, unless they'll pay you 100%.  We only got 20 cents to the dollar.

11 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

They mean that DCI is being abnormally silent about the upcoming Rules Congress.  And it is not hard to imagine why.

As you know, a rule change allowing woodwinds is rumored to be up for consideration.  If you recall the reactions of fans opposed to the A&E changes, with all the accompanying online angst, petitions, T-shirts, and even a rule change counter-proposal, it was not pretty.  Adding woodwinds will not be pretty either, as it is clear that many drum corps fans are strongly opposed to such a change.  The longer DCI delays in going public with this news, the less time opponents have to voice their opinions and have any potential influence on the vote.

Fans can voice all they want, it won’t change a #### thing. Just like it didn’t with Bb, amps, electronics, any type of brass, etc. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Fans can voice all they want, it won’t change a #### thing. Just like it didn’t with Bb, amps, electronics, any type of brass, etc. 

Calling BS on that.

I will admit that woodwinds will inevitably come into DCI someday.  However, the voices of fans can affect WHEN that happens. 

Over time, the alignment of drum corps and marching band will create a generation of participants who are less troubled by the differences one remaining difference between them.  Eventually, the number of people whose support hinges on the uniquely brass/percussion-centric nature of the activity will fade low enough on the Richter scale so that the change can proceed without intolerable damage.  I do not think we have reached that point yet.  There are still many of us who are not just opposed to the idea, but who indicate that their support will cease if the change is made.

Why do you suppose amplification took 14 tries to get passed?  Corps staff and judges were in favor of it.  You keep telling us that cost is just a "drop in the bucket", so that was not it.  The only thing left to give corps directors pause would be fan reaction to the change.

If, as many on here suggest, that woodwinds are inevitable, would it be out of bounds to ask the FANS at finals if they concur with this decision? I ask this because if the FANS say they want ww's, even though I object, I will humbly submit to the will of the people...not necessarily the designers ...It will no longer be drum corps as I know it, but then again, I'm just a former marcher who didn't know what drum corps was until that brass sound kicked my ### and made me want to do that..happy new year...peace

• Like 2

3 hours ago, waliman4444 said:

If, as many on here suggest, that woodwinds are inevitable, would it be out of bounds to ask the FANS at finals if they concur with this decision? I ask this because if the FANS say they want ww's, even though I object, I will humbly submit to the will of the people...not necessarily the designers ...It will no longer be drum corps as I know it, but then again, I'm just a former marcher who didn't know what drum corps was until that brass sound kicked my ### and made me want to do that..happy new year...peace

Then there is the issue of which fans. The long term ones (everyone use your own definition of long term) or friends and family of members that will leave when the member ages out.....

• Thanks 1