Disturbing DCI rumors

11 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Shouldn't you return all those extra $$$ and non-productive hours to the taxpayers, your real employers???

I can hear you laughing from here.

Non-productive as in time I spent figuring out how much sick leave I had? Or my “brain breaks” on DCP.😀

I tell people I finally found my calling. Work on an app that runs on ships. It keeps track of.... hazardous waste... Kidding aside it also helps the sailors keep from putting the wrong HAZMAT together. Don’t want any explosions or funky green clouds.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

really? has amplification been repealed? no, it led to electronics. has Bb been repealed? no, it led to any kind of brass. even the outcry about taking the drum judge to the 3 yard safe zone has stayed intact and in fact the push to remove field judges continues.

so what has fan outcry changed?

Fan opinion affects WHEN changes occur.

8 hours ago, Tim K said:

I can think of a huge reason why DCI should do such a thing: marketing. Changing the instrumentation could potentially decrease the audience base. It could also have no impact at all. While there have been all sorts of predictions as to what would make people walk away, this could be different because it will not be gradual as some changes have been and in many minds it fundamentally changes drum corps. Polling is not a referendum and it could help navigate any changes. 

DCI and the member corps needs to be true to its mission, but it also has to be mindful that without an audience that mission is impossible to fulfill. While it is true that some believe because they are donors they have a right to dictate what a corps does, there are also cases where corps want donations and support but if a donor is not happy, it doesn’t matter. DCI has also had some serious public relations blunders. Polling won’t change all of this, but it is at least a step towards saying you matter.

But my point is there would not be an accurate survey of opinions, just the rabid fringes would bother to vote. 

6 minutes ago, MikeD said:

But my point is there would not be an accurate survey of opinions, just the rabid fringes would bother to vote. 

Nah, that's Madison's proposal you're talking about. 😛

I'm curious as to exactly how many people travel to Indy to BOA nationals who have no kid in a band, they just go because they like marching bands. If it's less than the fans at DCI Finals (typically about half the house with no affiliation to a current member), then it would argue that bands, by themselves, aren't all that appealing. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MikeD said:

I see no reason DCI would do such a thing. You would not get a true consensus. The rabid on either side would make sure they "vote". Those in the middle most likely would not. The vast majority of those who attend shows and are not involved in drum corps social media would sites not even know this is going on.

The DCI corps are the ones who make all of the decisions, as it should be, IMO. 

You have no basis for these claims. 
I will add that the corps directors behave just as you described the fans. There is no consensus. The rabid few push their way. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Nah, that's Madison's proposal you're talking about. 😛

I'm curious as to exactly how many people travel to Indy to BOA nationals who have no kid in a band, they just go because they like marching bands. If it's less than the fans at DCI Finals (typically about half the house with no affiliation to a current member), then it would argue that bands, by themselves, aren't all that appealing. 

Not me! I’ve never been to BOA and have no plans to go. 

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

really? has amplification been repealed? no, it led to electronics. has Bb been repealed? no, it led to any kind of brass. even the outcry about taking the drum judge to the 3 yard safe zone has stayed intact and in fact the push to remove field judges continues.

so what has fan outcry changed?

It changed the fan makeup. Gone are the enthusiastic fans of drums and bugles. Replaced by parents and families who are only there because their children are participating. Plus a much smaller group of mostly old hangers on. And bandos who don’t pay much attention. Mostly they’re on their phones and talking among themselves throughout the events. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

It changed the fan makeup. Gone are the enthusiastic fans of drums and bugles. Replaced by parents and families who are only there because their children are participating. Plus a much smaller group of mostly old hangers on. And bandos who don’t pay much attention. Mostly they’re on their phones and talking among themselves throughout the events. 

The band kids have been brought there on the group rate by their director and most of them will never return again.  

This old hanger on is out if they pass woodwinds.  2020 will be my farewell tour.  👋

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

You have no basis for these claims. 

It is my opinion, that's all, just like most of the posts on DCP . You do not have to agree, just as I am free to disagree with others who post their opinions that differ from mine.