Disturbing DCI rumors

DCI:  where the best of lame marching bands perform 

I guess you’ll need to turn to certain college marching bands to get your fix of that glorious brass sound. For example,  the HBCU bands, Ohio State

11 hours ago, EricS said:

The proposal of allowing any instrument as presented by Kathy Black is pure BS.  It is an insult to anyone's intelligence who has given even as much time to it as it took to read it.  I have never read any document that makes so many sweeping generalities trying to justify the proposal.  And with so many stupid and ignorant assumptions. 

6 hours ago, garfield said:

I disagree.  And I can't agree unless you post some facts to back your contentions.

Allow me to guess at what he refers to.

I see "sweeping generalities" in the proposal.  For instance, issues of negative impact are dismissed with phrases like "depends on individual corps decisions to incorporate new instruments".  Meanwhile, the positive impacts are presumed, even though they are just as dependent upon corps actually adding the new instruments.  You cannot have it both ways.

"Assumptions", whether stupid or ignorant, are present too.  Take for example the Audience Impact section.  "DCI anticipates audience growth as new classes of performers become DCI fans, however anecdotal information suggests a subset of the current audience will react negatively."  Note the use of language such as "anecdotal" to downplay the negative.  Well, what "information" do we have to suggest there will really be new fans?  Do we have any such information?  No - instead, we actually have "anecdotal information" that woodwind players are already DCI fans, and marchers, and that therefore, there is no "new class" of fans/performers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

You’re right, garfield! 

I’m certain they will quickly become the best of that genre.  I doubt I’ll pay any attention to it, just not my thing. I get nothing out of Rap music either, nor ballet, and reject Sushi, too.  One more item added to my ‘Avoid List.’  I’ll easily be replaced by a new enthusiast. My best to them.

Yep never was a MB fan and sound of horns/perc were what kept me interested after 45 years. Maybe time to check the brass band scene “for something entirely different”. Live an hour from Gettysburg so who knows

47 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

DCI:  where the best of lame marching bands perform 

I guess you’ll need to turn to certain college marching bands to get your fix of that glorious brass sound. For example,  the HBCU bands, Ohio State

I love TBDBITL.  It’s never going to replace Crown’s glorious brass sound for me.  

5 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

Someone please correct if I’m wrong . . . .

ANY instruments, woodwind and beyond, are already legal. We’ve seen all manner of instruments appearing, most recently violins, guitars.  It would seem, this current proposal by Kathy Black is unnecessary. 

No doubt in my mind, this proposal is actually intended to permit and normalize many woodwinds marching on the field throughout the show. In effect, completing the morphosis into average, everyday scholastic marching band

________

Certainly, I am disturbed by this proposal, and saddened. C’est la vie.

Exactlly!  So DCI be gone. No need when there are high shool and post secondary marching bands. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

I see "sweeping generalities" in the proposal.  For instance, issues of negative impact are dismissed with phrases like "depends on individual corps decisions to incorporate new instruments".  Meanwhile, the positive impacts are presumed, even though they are just as dependent upon corps actually adding the new instruments.  You cannot have it both ways.

"Assumptions", whether stupid or ignorant, are present too.  Take for example the Audience Impact section.  "DCI anticipates audience growth as new classes of performers become DCI fans, however anecdotal information suggests a subset of the current audience will react negatively."  Note the use of language such as "anecdotal" to downplay the negative.  Well, what "information" do we have to suggest there will really be new fans?  Do we have any such information?  No - instead, we actually have "anecdotal information" that woodwind players are already DCI fans, and marchers, and that therefore, there is no "new class" of fans/performers.

Subject matter experts were involved! Or so I've been told. 

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

I think you pretty much nailed it. The proponents know what they want. The justification is just marketing with nothing to back it up. I think the assumption is that somehow it will increase revenue. They are just imagining how that could come to pass. No study or data behind it. Just pushes from instrument manufacturers etc. Same old same old. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I love TBDBITL.  It’s never going to replace Crown’s glorious brass sound for me.  

You’re right. It’s the DCI rule change that will take care of that. 

• Like 1