Disturbing DCI rumors

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

I doubt dci will try to govern that 

I'm sure you are right. There are too many salaries that depend on DCI. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

DCI:  where the best of lame marching bands perform 

I guess you’ll need to turn to certain college marching bands to get your fix of that glorious brass sound. For example,  the HBCU bands, Ohio State

Yea, they have a very good band.  And they make great pictures, too!

The just recently started carrying their drums down low for halftime; I wonder if they'll get a pit as well?

3 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

When you said “draws gasps” you meant “draws giggles” right?

Yes, I suppose I did.  "Giggle" in a Crown or BD kind of way.

Come on, admit it, Dad.  You've giggled in amazement in at least one show since drum corps put down tympani, changed key, and boosted GE, haven't you?

EDIT: Sorry, in at least one drum corps show, that is.

Edited by garfield

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Yep never was a MB fan and sound of horns/perc were what kept me interested after 45 years. Maybe time to check the brass band scene “for something entirely different”. Live an hour from Gettysburg so who knows

We are really just beating a dead horse anyway.  Drum corps program designs have relegated great music scores and good marching (MM will soon become eomething else) to the back seat as show designs are quickly evolving into stage productions.  More and more there is less marching and playing.  WGI be ######.

Edited by EricS
  • Thanks 1

As a  novel exercise, wouldn't it be interesting if a corps had the balls to put a show on the field that is 11-12 minutes of great music and visual design minus props, tarps and only brass instruments and drums. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, EricS said:

We are really just beating a dead horse anyway.  Drum corps program designs have relegated great music scores and good marching (MM will soon become eomething else) to the back seat as show designs are quickly evolving into stage productions.  More and more there is less marching and playing.  WGI be ######.

Too old and tired to beat horses living or otherwise. Walked away for a decade when more important things came up in life. If I don’t like I don’t watch and no wasted heartbeats even thinking about it.

30 minutes ago, EricS said:

As a  novel exercise, wouldn't it be interesting if a corps had the balls to put a show on the field that is 11-12 minutes of great music and visual design minus props, tarps and only brass instruments and drums. 

We had a similar discussion during the early part of the 2019 season. I think the way it was basically phrased was "which would score higher...a great show musically with no props or a "meh" show musically with tons of interpretive movement, sparkly GE stuffs and props that were either poorly used or not used at all." I don't think we ever ended up with a definitive popular answer, but it made for interesting discussion. 

47 minutes ago, EricS said:

IMHO,  Bluecoats show would have been just as good without the props and those staircases didn’t make the Cadets show any better.  :peek:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

IMHO,  Bluecoats show would have been just as good without the props and those staircases didn’t make the Cadets show any better.  :peek:

I think I used PR's show as the model. I love PR, but last years props did absolutely (and literally,) NOTHING for the entire show. 

• Like 2