Disturbing DCI rumors

46 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

To paint with the broadest of brushes, nobody on this forum will ever like any sort of change. Many still post on here only for the sake of griping about 2020 (or the activity in whatever the present happens to be). 

To me, the questions that should be asked are: What do 18-year-olds think? What will the members of 2025 or 2030 or 2035 think? Do we envision them choosing to participate in this activity because woodwinds are involved? Will it be easier to field summer groups (soundsport, open class, world class, any other kinds of ensembles) if woodwinds are allowed? It should be remembered that it is and will be THEIR (young people) activity, and DCI should keep the future of the activity in mind based on what THEY want. 

I'm 40. It doesn't matter what I think. And not just from the "DCI will do what it wants" perspective (as Jeff is 100% right about), but also from the "why should DCI care what I think?" perspective. Maybe there's a lull in attendance because some of you won't buy tickets, and maybe that lasts 4-5 years. But then maybe it picks back up again. Maybe even more folks will (eventually) be interested in the activity. 

from what i see on social media, they're opposed

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

To paint with the broadest of brushes, nobody on this forum will ever like any sort of change.

You certainly did what you set out to do.

To me, the questions that should be asked are: What do 18-year-olds think? What will the members of 2025 or 2030 or 2035 think? Do we envision them choosing to participate in this activity because woodwinds are involved? Will it be easier to field summer groups (soundsport, open class, world class, any other kinds of ensembles) if woodwinds are allowed? It should be remembered that it is and will be THEIR (young people) activity, and DCI should keep the future of the activity in mind based on what THEY want. 

Too bad DCI did not ask those questions.  Maybe they will in the two years before the next proposal cycle.

I'm 40. It doesn't matter what I think. And not just from the "DCI will do what it wants" perspective (as Jeff is 100% right about), but also from the "why should DCI care what I think?" perspective. 

As long as DCI needs revenue, and as long as they get it from anyone over 39... they care what you think.

21 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

You certainly did what you set out to do.

Too bad DCI did not ask those questions.  Maybe they will in the two years before the next proposal cycle.

As long as DCI needs revenue, and as long as they get it from anyone over 39... they care what you think.

and they ignore the expenses

Let me ask this question.  How many of you have been to a "local" marching band competition outside of Texas, California or Indiana? I state this as someone that has gone to many competitions throughout the Mid-Atlantic over the years. A day long competition tends to be broken up into multiple segments.  The smaller classes in the morning/early afternoon and the larger classes in the evening.  Even regional shows tend to fall into this same break-out of classes.

Most of the "Marching Band" shows I have been to over the past couple decades have two groups of fans.  The first group of the fans tends to be the parents of whatever band is performing at the time.  The second group are all the band students that have already performed and are waiting for scores.  If you doubt me, go to a competition right before the first group of scores are announced and watch the mass exodus once the score are announced. They don't return and the sequence starts all over for the next group of classes.

"Drum Corps" shows tend to draw a different fan base. This fan base includes alumni as well as fans of Drum Corps.  Many spend some time in the parking lot and then go to the stadium for the entire show.  They tend to drive longer distances, stay for the entire show and spend more money.  Often these fans have no ties whatsoever to the competing corps they are going to see at the local competition.  That is what makes Drum Corps unique.  Once it becomes a marching band, it loses that uniqueness and subsequently, its fan base.  I have gone to many drum corps shows over the years that did not include a single corps I had any ties with whatsoever.  I can't say that I have ever been to a marching band show where none of my kids were marching or I had not taught at a competing school. 

I have driven or flown to dozens of drum corps competitions over the years.  I doubt I would do the same for a marching band competition when I can see them locally with schools I have taught at in the past.

As I stated earlier, you can see a marching band at any local competition.  The desire to go and see one that is the same thing, only cleaner is not as big a draw as going to something as unique as Drum Corps.

Edited by Old Corps Guy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

How about asking this question to current/potential future members: "Would the adding of any/all instruments to DCI prevent you from returning to or joining a DCI group?"

Or to current members specifically..."Do you think your enjoyment of the DCI performer experience would be lessened if any/all instruments were added to DCI?"

An even better addendum to both questions would be "Why?"

Just thinking out loud here 🤔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kdaddy said:

Those are the voices that should matter. If they're generally against it, then DCI should rethink. 

Is this because DCI receives no money from anyone over the age of 21?  I think, more than any other motivation, DCI is all about the money. They package it as being all about the kids. 

• Like 1