Disturbing DCI rumors

7 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Not saying you are and this is not part of the “I used to like it “ discussion. Saying some posts read like “more people will come because it’s excellent.... period”

jeff pegged it with his Opera and the Met post...

I disagree with that type of comparison. Not even close, IMO. That is where Jeff and I have a disagreement, for sure. 

7 minutes ago, MikeD said:

I disagree with that type of comparison. Not even close, IMO. That is where Jeff and I have a disagreement, for sure. 

I didn’t see him comparing DC with opera if that’s what you mean. Just Disagree with the idea that people will go to the best level of something only because it’s the best level. (At least that’s how I saw it)

”I’ve got tickets to the metropolitan opera, want to go?”

”no I don’t like opera”

”but it’s the best opera in the county”

”doesn’t matter I still don’t like opera, enjoy”

Edited by JimF-LowBari

8 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I didn’t see him comparing DC with opera if that’s what you mean. Just Disagree with the idea that people will go to the best level of something only because it’s the best level. (At least that’s how I saw it)

”I’ve got tickets to the metropolitan opera, want to go?”

”no I don’t like opera”

”but it’s the best opera in the county”

”doesn’t matter I still don’t like opera, enjoy”

My disagreement is that DCI will undergo some radical change if WW are added. Using far-out examples is where we disagree. IMO the difference will be more akin to two types of apples, that is all.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MikeD said:

My disagreement is that DCI will undergo some radical change if WW are added. Using far-out examples is where we disagree. IMO the difference will be more akin to two types of apples, that is all.

Oh I see your point there. I just didn’t see that brought up in Jeff’s “No Night At The Opera” post.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Oh I see your point there. I just didn’t see that brought up in Jeff’s “No Night At The Opera” post.

Sounds like a Marx Brothers sequel in the making. :laughing:

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Sounds like a Marx Brothers sequel in the making. :laughing:

Have the DVD at home and that’s why I worded it that way. 😈

knew someone with a similar twisted sense of humor would pick up on it...

And with DCI BoD in the over crowded stateroom scene....

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

I wonder if he or she works for the CIA or NSA, and knows something we don't. :tongue:

Probably not.  It seems most of those alphabet organizations are working to save John Wells butt again. Calling Ellis Shafer.  I need more of Mitch Rapp.

Edited by Ghost
  • Haha 2

On 12/19/2019 at 10:57 AM, cixelsyd said:

The next DCI Rules Congress is nearly upon us.  Caucuses and voting will take place at the DCI annual meeting in Indianapolis, January 9th through 11th, 2020.

Given how close we are to this event, it is curious that we have heard nothing official from DCI about the proposals that will be up for consideration.  Rule change proposals are processed per a set timetable from when they are submitted in mid-October to when the deadline for distribution of the final proposals occurs on December 15th.  Last time DCI had their biannual Rules Congress, they finished the refinement process a bit early and went public with the proposals on December 13th.  This time... crickets.

Rumors are rampant that the addition of woodwinds to DCI instrumentation is on the agenda.  Understandably, that will be a topic of passionate discussion in the drum corps community.  But regardless of where you stand on that issue, the manner in which this change is rumored to be implemented is disturbing:

• The rule change would take effect for the 2020 season, even though nearly all corps are well into show planning/design and will have conducted auditions prior to the Rules Congress.
  • Another rule change raising the member limit to around 200 is also on the agenda, as a companion proposal.  Again, this would take effect after completion of auditions for most corps.
  • These two proposals were developed in one of the DCI strategic planning committees.  As rumor has it, member corps were polled and have pre-approved the ideas.  In a sense, the fix is in.  More importantly, member corps would therefore have had advance knowledge of this while they planned their 2020 shows and conducted auditions, while non-member corps... ?

Is this an attempt by DCI to defer the coming public angst over the change by delaying announcement of the proposals?  Are corps planning to use this change as an excuse to conduct another round of auditions and "experience camps", with associated participation fees, as a special 2020 fundraising ploy?  Or will cooler heads prevail, and propose 2021 implementation with fair advance notice?  (Or has the rumor train gone completely off the tracks?)

What do you think?

For the life of me I can't understand how this is an issue whatsoever.  Who wants this!?  I know no one that does.