Disturbing DCI rumors

5 hours ago, MikeD said:

People follow DCI for the high level excellence in design and performance the ensembles create. You don't see as many people following Open class, and DCA attendance has taken a hit from reading that forum.

because DCA does a #### job of marketing as the existing audience dies off or is turned off

5 hours ago, MikeD said:

I disagree with that type of comparison. Not even close, IMO. That is where Jeff and I have a disagreement, for sure. 

i don't think excellence alone will retain a lot of people...people that tend to donate a lot to individual corps

4 hours ago, wigwam said:

Can someone answer the question.  Is DCI going to allow woodwinds or not?   I need to know if I should stop planning to attend DCI events next summer. 

check in saturday

27 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

For the life of me I can't understand how this is an issue whatsoever.  Who wants this!?  I know no one that does.

several directors that got the board chair to submit it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, MikeD said:

WC DCI is the epitome of marching music. It has more than "acoustic brass and percussion" even now. WWs just add to the possibilities. The BD with a sax section will still be the BD, the highest level marching/music performance, if they chose to go that route. 

WWs don’t add to the possibilities. WWs remove the uniqueness. Who cares to watch more marching bands. 

11 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

WWs don’t add to the possibilities. WWs remove the uniqueness. Who cares to watch more marching bands. 

In 2018, 337,000 school woodwind instruments were sold and 266,000 school brass instruments were sold according to statista. I understand that you want all brass, but there may be a larger untapped portion of the market out there. 

• Like 2

As much as I liked the changes over they years in drum corps, adding WW's changes it into the marching band world! At that instant Drum and Bugle Corps will cease to exist! DCI can merge with BOA and be called MBI (Marching Bands International). I have defended two valves, three valves, front ensemble, amplification, dancing/choreography, G to Bb horns, etc, BUT once WW's are added it can no longer be called Drum corps/drum and bugle corps.  While marching throughout the 1970's I loved the uniqueness of drum corps. I was in marching band in high school and taught for years after but it was separate from corps. The "old guard" will walk away and the new guard doesn't care however, think of what that may mean financially for "DCI." Will "DCI" lose a lot of money? Will corps lose that money? With the addition of extra (WW) members that means more buses to rent or buy. How many buses do corps use today for MM's? 4? now add maybe 2 more. More expense! That would mean the fee for each member will be more, right? How many don't pay their whole amount now?

Let marching band be marching band....it's competitive in high school but not really in college. Let drum  and bugle corps stay where its at and be unique! Or are the designers changing to inflate their egos? Are they doing it because our country wants to eliminate history? Let's eliminate the history of drum and bugle corps right? Those of yo who have marched from the 1960's to the 1990's saw A LOT of change to our activity but it still stayed somewhat true to the idea of drum and bugle corps. The additions of WW's will erase that idea very quickly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

In 2018, 337,000 school woodwind instruments were sold and 266,000 school brass instruments were sold according to statista. I understand that you want all brass, but there may be a larger untapped portion of the market out there. 

You are aware that DCI corps are not scholastic ensembles, right?