Disturbing DCI rumors

37 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

In 2018, 337,000 school woodwind instruments were sold and 266,000 school brass instruments were sold according to statista. I understand that you want all brass, but there may be a larger untapped portion of the market out there. 

How far back do those stats go? Thinking in the 60s/70s there were more woodwinds than brass in my school bands. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

11 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

You are aware that DCI corps are not scholastic ensembles, right?

Duh! Of course

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

WWs don’t add to the possibilities. WWs remove the uniqueness. Who cares to watch more marching bands. 

They would still be the BD, Crown, Cadets...etc in performance level and show design. As for “who”...IMO lots of people.

17 minutes ago, MikeD said:

They would still be the BD, Crown, Cadets...etc in performance level and show design. As for “who”...IMO lots of people.

BD light, Crown light, Cadets light..just like beer..IMHO

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Hope you enjoy and the activity continues... but you haven’t answered my question

My point is imo people follow something because they LIKE watching the activity more than because it is the “ultimate” in something. Least I’ve never heard of anyone going to an event they really didn’t like because it was “excellent” or “the ultimate “

Yes and I like the marching arts, But I wouldn't sit through an entire Local Marching Band show. Not because they have woodwinds, But simply because in my experience I have probably seen everything that they are presenting. Nothing will be innovative in their presentation. (Some are but its usually not at a local show, its at BOA Regional Finals and BOA GRAND NATS)  Its not the pinnacle of the activity.

I love Football, But I dont watch the College Football much outside of my team. (Univ of MIami) But I can watch the NFL for 9 hours every Sunday because its the pinnacle of the sport.

And While I'm on football, Football for the most part is played the same way all the from Pee Wee all the way to the NFL. Its a sport and it has rules. Imagine if the Pinnacle of the sport it didn't include any Kickers. But at every other stage of the sport there have been kickers. In Pee Wee, HS, College.... Kickers.

And when Someone questions why the NFL doesn't have Kickers, they only reason given is " Because its Tradition, Its always been like that." How does that make sense? Wouldn't it make sense to allow Kickers to follow their dreams and fulfill all of their hard work by having a nice long career in the NFL?

And before you say its not the same thing, Its the Marching Arts now, Drum Corps haven't had any direct affiliations with a Military Corps for ages. IMO the only true standing Drum Corps is the Marine Drum and Bugle Corps. They have their affiliations to a Military entity and to my knowledge have withheld their strict military code.

So with no affiliations to the Military all Drum Corps are all now really to be considered Outdoor Performance ensembles. Heck I haven't been around the corps during bus unloading but when was the last time you saw a Drum Corps called to Attention? Corps Ten Hut?!?! It's simply not a part of the activity anymore. Heck even the Corporal punishment that used to be common (Push ups, Laps, Burpees) all of that has made way to Actual Physio training from a trained Physical Trainer. I learn this past summer that most corps don't do a full Run through of the show anymore on Show days... They chunk through the show and at the end just call it a day, to save the members energy for the Show Run through.

Smart people stepped in and started to question why things where happening and when the only reasoning given was, "that's how its always been" It's simply not enough of a justification to continue with a bad habit anymore.

14 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

You are correct about the current attendees of scholastic marching band shows.

But it's not clear to me that it's the instrumentation that causes the difference.

Then you should take another look at the posts here, or on DCI Facebook... or better yet, the DCI group on reddit... and see the reason for all this.  

People like drum corps because of the unique brass/percussion sound.  Not just olde phartes, but current MMs and their peer group.  Marching band kids - not just the brass players and drummers, but woodwind musicians too - tell us in so many words that the unique brass/percussion-centric sound matters to them.  

Who knew?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

How far back do those stats go? Thinking in the 60s/70s there were more woodwinds than brass in my school bands. 

I could only get one year without getting a $59/month subscription for a year minimum. So, I’ll settle for one year. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

You are aware that it doesn't matter for illustrating the popularity of woodwind playing, right?

How many social studies textbooks were sold to schools in that same time period?  And does that illustrate the "popularity" of social studies compared to that of woodwind playing?