Disturbing DCI rumors

2 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

How many social studies textbooks were sold to schools in that same time period?  And does that illustrate the "popularity" of social studies compared to that of woodwind playing?

You’re stretching a bit far. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

several directors that got the board chair to submit it

I'd guess those corps are Crown, Bluecoats, maybe Phantom.. 

Could someone who supports the addition of woodswinds address how innaccesible the activity is because of COST and that adding woodwinds would bring the cost UP even more through additional staff requirements and more expensive instruments? And what about the logistical issues of having a woodwind line during the whole summer with their instruments 12 hours a day? Everybody seems concerned with giving designers more freedom and allowing woodwinds to audition, but what about allowing people who can’t afford a 5k tuition to March? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KeithHall said:

Let marching band be marching band....it's competitive in high school but not really in college. Let drum  and bugle corps stay where its at and be unique! Or are the designers changing to inflate their egos? Are they doing it because our country wants to eliminate history? Let's eliminate the history of drum and bugle corps right? Those of yo who have marched from the 1960's to the 1990's saw A LOT of change to our activity but it still stayed somewhat true to the idea of drum and bugle corps. The additions of WW's will erase that idea very quickly.

Its History. It will always be in it's History. Do we have to live in the History for us to understand and cherish and honor the history?

• Like 1

Funny I just fell into a Drum Corps Wikipedia Hole and the roots of all Marching ensembles are Fife and Drum Corps.

A Fife and Drum Corps is a musical ensemble consisting of fifes and drums. In the United States of America, fife and drum corps specializing in colonial period impressions using fifes, rope tension snare drums, and (sometimes) bass drums are known as Ancient Fife and Drum Corps.[1] Many of these ensembles originated from a type of military field music.

220px-170120-D-KH215-0197.jpg

So in a way DCI is actually returning to its Roots. 

PICCOLOS!!

just tolling, but seriously, this is my Line. I want the proposal to read "All instruments minus Piccolos." Nobody needs Piccolos on a field.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

Funny I just fell into a Drum Corps Wikipedia Hole and the roots of all Marching ensembles are Fife and Drum Corps.

A Fife and Drum Corps is a musical ensemble consisting of fifes and drums. In the United States of America, fife and drum corps specializing in colonial period impressions using fifes, rope tension snare drums, and (sometimes) bass drums are known as Ancient Fife and Drum Corps.[1] Many of these ensembles originated from a type of military field music.

220px-170120-D-KH215-0197.jpg

So in a way DCI is actually returning to its Roots. 

PICCOLOS!!

just tolling, but seriously, this is my Line. I want the proposal to read "All instruments minus Piccolos." Nobody needs Piccolos on a field.

I made a similar argument a few years back. Between Allentown and Indy I went to Colonial Williamsburg and claimed I was enjoying the really old school. Historically you are correct. As guns developed and got louder, bugles replaced the fifes because bugles were louder. 

29 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Well, now you understand my reaction.

Only if somewhere in the universe people march with social studies books. Personally, for me, the height of drum corps would be something like Caviliers around mid 2000's. I won't say anything negative about particular shows because someone reading this may have marched in one of those shows, but the 10's haven't been very drum corpsy, by my definition. That's ok. My lack of interest will be replaced by someone else's interest. Same thing with woodwinds. Marching with woodwinds or without woodwinds, I'm probably not going to be entertained - most drum corps shows now are something to be endured. But I do enjoy something like Western Carolina University and they have woodwinds, and guitars, and synths, and amps.

Basically, the train that I wanted left the station a few years ago. I'm trying to find a different train that I won't mind.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Glenn426 said:

But I can watch the NFL for 9 hours every Sunday because its the pinnacle of the sport.

Lifelong Jets fan here. I respectfully disagree. :tongue:

• Haha 5