Disturbing DCI rumors

26 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

logistical nightmares

Those who don't have valid arguments I find just seek to nitpick on technicalities and catch words to support to their "Jokes?/ Insults, idk" 

So “nightmares” is the noun and “logistical” is the adjective,  it amplifies the noun. It’s the noun that’s the point. You said it’s a nightmare. A logistical nightmare. You could add ... a big hairy logistical nightmare or any other qualifying words you like, but it’s a nightmare was your words. This is not a technicality. It’s basic ninth grade English. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

Everyone has different experiences. Some members do have the mentality of WC or bust, But others like in my example marched OC first, and had no qualms going back to OC. Even over other options in WC for corps that haven't made finals in the last decade.

a few years ago DCI released a press release braggibg that i think it was 7000 kids tried out for all of the corps. if all of the corps were full only 600 would have missed out...and this was at the 135 max membership rate. yet less than half the corps were full. thats open and world

34 minutes ago, MikeN said:

At the OC level, it just doesn't work like that.  Kids try out for the "name" corps they want, and if they don't make it, they don't trickle down - almost all of them just go home and are never heard from again.  In addition, there is no centralized "cut list" - it's purely based on the relationships between your caption head and other corps.  

The silent masses that we let pack up and go home are one of my biggest frustrations with the drum corps activity - these are kids that already took the first, biggest leap, and they just blow away with the wind at the end.  

Mike

I had a kid go to one corps to auditions, he didn’t make the cut and he asked about going to another corps.  They told him TO NOT GO THERE.  I said F that, you go.  He made the cut there and had a great time,  

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I had a kid go to one corps to auditions, he didn’t make the cut and he asked about going to another corps.  They told him TO NOT GO THERE.  I said F that, you go.  He made the cut there and had a great time,  

Which corps was this? From what I know most every corps will recommend cuts to lower placing corps. I’ve never heard of a corps telling a member not to march somewhere else. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

a few years ago DCI released a press release braggibg that i think it was 7000 kids tried out for all of the corps. if all of the corps were full only 600 would have missed out...and this was at the 135 max membership rate. yet less than half the corps were full. thats open and world

Edited by HockeyDad

37 minutes ago, MikeN said:

At the OC level, it just doesn't work like that.  Kids try out for the "name" corps they want, and if they don't make it, they don't trickle down - almost all of them just go home and are never heard from again.  In addition, there is no centralized "cut list" - it's purely based on the relationships between your caption head and other corps.  

The silent masses that we let pack up and go home are one of my biggest frustrations with the drum corps activity - these are kids that already took the first, biggest leap, and they just blow away with the wind at the end.  

Mike

Unfortunately, this is another argument for "people flock to DCI for excellence" not "people want brass sounds yay!" It also flies in the face of those crowing about how Soundsport already allows woodwinds, so woodwind players already have a home in DCI. For better or worse, many students aren't attracted to Soundsport groups because of performance challenges, quality, or stigma. 

Just now, Crownie01 said:

Which corps was this? From what I know most every corps will recommend cuts to lower placing corps. I’ve never heard of a corps telling a member not to march somewhere else. 

This was sometime ago.  Maybe they’ve changed. I’m not going to out a group publicly.  I’m a ##### but not that big of one. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

You assume that all DCI marchers want to be Music Educators.

100% wrong, and that would be idiocy. I assume that any kid who wanted the DCI brass experience would take the time required to learn to properly play a brass instrument. It's not the blood-letting, hand-wringing sacrifice you are making it out to be. It just is not.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GBugler said:

100% wrong, and that would be idiocy. I assume that any kid who wanted the DCI brass experience would take the time required to learn to properly play a brass instrument. It's not the blood-letting, hand-wringing sacrifice you are making it out to be. It just is not.

Can confirm this as I learned mellophone in 3 months and got a contract into a WC corps. If you can’t make it into the corps you auditioned for first try that means you either didn’t practice well enough or it just wasn’t your year to march there.

52 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Mike

Asked years ago why people didn’t try for other corps if they miss the cut of their dream. Lot of responses of “if I’m going to pay that much, it’s only worth it to do my dream corps”

• Like 2