Disturbing DCI rumors

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

i'd say more like 3000-3500

Now those taking about the financial side. That is 3000 more kids that came to the camps. 3000 more Camp Fees to not only cover expenses of the additional kids but to potentially pocket as additional revenue.

Seems like a net Gain to me? And in the meantime all of those Kids where exposed to the best educators in the Country. If even to only learn about the rehearsal etiquette, work ethic, leadership and all of the other things learned from a weekend at a World Class organization.

1 hour ago, kdaddy said:

Cool.

I'm not necessarily interested in a pro-woodwind argument, as I'm not pro-woodwind.

I'm necessarily interested in claims akin to "I did it, so can they" or "I don't want woodwinds in drum corps, so young people shouldn't either" or "textbooks are in schools so are woodwinds or something I don't know what I'm talking about I'm a boomer." I find these to be poor arguments. 

I find posts with "boomer" in them tend not to even rise to the level of "arguments".  But hey, ageism is all the rage on reddit - you should try it there.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cixelsyd said:

I find posts with "boomer" in them tend not to even rise to the level of "arguments".  But hey, ageism is all the rage on reddit - you should try it there.

Boomer is less an age and more a state of mind, but hey. 

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

A classic example of how disingenuous so many of these arguments are.

No one emerges from the womb with the innate ability to play a brass instrument.  Both people had to learn that at some point.  Both people, therefore, had the exact same amount to do to earn their spots.

Nope. The starting points are not the same. The WW Player started two steps back from the Brass player.

In a 100M Race. The Brass player ran 100M. The WW Player Ran 110M. From the moment that they started learning a WW instrument in MS they took two steps away from reaching the goal of marching in DCI. 

Allowing WW in on their own instrument, Everyone will have to run the same 100M to reach their goal. 

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

You are equating Soundsport to being in, say, the Blue Devils?   😳

i doubt many people would equate them. But feel free.

Someone said "What I have in mind is not exactly drum corps as it currently stands. It's my idea of what this art form might eventually turn into."

I replied by mentioning SoundSport.

Where did you get Blue Devils from?

34 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Winner!  Everyone who auditions gets in! No cuts allowed based on talent!  Rookie who just picked up drum sticks for the very first time - Blue Devils here I come!!!

Not what I said. Not what I meant.

2 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

Everyone has different experiences. Some members do have the mentality of WC or bust, But others like in my example marched OC first, and had no qualms going back to OC. Even over other options in WC for corps that haven't made finals in the last decade.

I get your point, but while everyone does have different experiences, I'm respectfully submitting my sample size of OC auditionees is larger than yours.  

Mike

2 hours ago, kdaddy said:

Unfortunately, this is another argument for "people flock to DCI for excellence" not "people want brass sounds yay!" It also flies in the face of those crowing about how Soundsport already allows woodwinds, so woodwind players already have a home in DCI. For better or worse, many students aren't attracted to Soundsport groups because of performance challenges, quality, or stigma. 

Or because they simply don't know about them, because they don't end up on CD's, Blu-Rays or Youtube.  😞

Mike

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Boomer is less an age and more a state of mind, but hey. 

Buuuut... some see the one (age) and assume the other (state of mind)

• Like 1

Corps can save money on arrangements now! They can order band music through JW Pepper!  LOL