Disturbing DCI rumors

7 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

so eliminate marching and set up chairs on the field?

Didn't BD win a championship doing that?  :tongue:

I kid, I kid...

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Kids who stay in concert band need a fairer chance against the ones who joined marching band, so eliminate marching and set up chairs on the field?

3 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Didn't BD win a championship doing that?  :tongue:  I kid, I kid...

You're probably correct Fran.

44 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

Soundsport is Parking lot Drum corps and DCI's sad attempt to give smaller corps/ groups a performance opportunity when really its beneath them.

If I where in the WGI Winds steering committee, I would be emailing every director of a Soundsport group and getting them to bring their group over to WGI Winds. Actual Competition and a worthy performance opportunity. 

Five more participants in WGI winds is barely a rounding error.

But, what of the opposite tact.  What if every WGI group was solicited to come compete in SoundSport?

Curious.

Just now, garfield said:

But, what of the opposite tact.  What if every WGI group was solicited to come compete in SoundSport?

Curious.

Until Soundsport is a true competitive opportunity it wont do anything more than give groups would want to have the allure of DCI on their groups a chance to perform. IMO This was DCI's attempt to counter WGI Winds.. 

Michael Gaines is bringing Aimachi Winds back to WGI this year. I don't think Soundsport will ever be graced by someone the likes of Michael Gaines anytime soon.

One look at Soundsport's webpage would answer why it is bound to fail. And it has nothing to do with AI.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Kids who stay in concert band need a fairer chance against the ones who joined marching band, so eliminate marching and set up chairs on the field?

Crockett HS (Austin TX) did this once in the late 80's.  Their director, Paula Crider (later Univ. of TX Band Director), was protesting UIL's dumb rules on visual scoring IIRC.  So they brought chairs and music stands on the field in an arc, set up, and did their whole show as a standstill.  

Mike

9 minutes ago, garfield said:

Curious.

Some fruitful conversation is finally happening in this thread. I like this idea.

Slightly on topic... isn't a big Hilton going to be built on the current Soundsport site? If so, do we know where Soundsport will be held? I'll be honest, I don't hang around there much, because if you aren't lucky enough to arrive at a time when you can get a seat in the stands, you can't really see much. 

4 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Crockett HS (Austin TX) did this once in the late 80's.  Their director, Paula Crider (later Univ. of TX Band Director), was protesting UIL's dumb rules on visual scoring IIRC.  So they brought chairs and music stands on the field in an arc, set up, and did their whole show as a standstill.  

Mike

Paula was the top band clinician at USC's annual band clinic in the late 1980's and I had the pleasure of performing with her ensemble. She's something else, alright.

Edited by GBugler

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

Not sure how that relates to DCI.

exactly! trying to be all things to all people generally leads to failure

2 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

Yes and I'm saying that for a brass player to join DCI they don't have to aspire to be a Music Major.

Why would a WW musician need to justify learning a second instrument with "Hey now you have a head start on your Music ED Degree" When most that enjoy the lessons learned in DCI don't end up being a Music Majors.

This rule Change would put WW's on even ground with everyone else. Equal achievements needed to make it to DCI. 

and show me a business that tries to be all things to all people that actually works?

1 hour ago, Glenn426 said:

Yes I do actually,. I think they will maximize the impact that a WW ensemble can make, Getting a full WW Blend into the sonority using only 8-12 WW's. I think they will solve the "I can't hear the woodwinds" problem by using technology and individual Micing. I think I'll finally see a Ripping Jazz Saxophone section ripping a Big Band chart for a Ballad. (I'm thinking BD does this)

I think Jazz will actually sound like Jazz on the field.

And I think Bluecoats did a pretty good job with their Trombone soloist last year during the Closer in their show last year.

the only true impact a woodwind ensemble can make that hasn't been seen to date is to build a bonfire and torch it