Disturbing DCI rumors

6 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Or how about basset horns?

Starting to think of PDQ Bach... “Concerto for Horn and Hardart” anyone? Horn and Hardart was the name of the place where you could buy food out of machines (aka automat).

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Starting to think of PDQ Bach... “Horn and Hardart” anyone. Horn and Hardart was the name of the place where you could buy food out of machines (aka automat).

LOL...that's it Jim! If someone actually DID use winds, they could do PDQ Bachs "Music for an Awful Lot of Winds and Percussion" including lots of interpretive dance and over the top emoting. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

LOL...that's it Jim! If someone actually DID use winds, they could do PDQ Bachs "Music for an Awful Lot of Winds and Percussion" including lots of interpretive dance and over the top emoting. 

YEEEEEEEES

Now, if only the Velvet Knights were still here to make this come to life.

Edited by Hook'emCavies
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hook'emCavies said:

YEEEEEEEES

Now, if only the Velvet Knights were still here to make this come to life.

VK will live on in our hearts forever. They were always a blast to watch, compete against and hang out with. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

It is a cool piece for the musically familiar people, who get the humor, but we did it when I was an assistant band director at a high school in the mid-70's, and the 'regular' people did not really get it. To them it just sounded like an awful band chart (and our concert band was excellent, by the way). A lot of " What in the world was that?" type of comments.

You need to do some sort of visual comedy to really sell that piece, so it would be great on the field!

We had PDQ Bach come to my college for a performance in the early 70's. He was hilarious!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MikeD said:

It is a cool piece for the musically familiar people, who get the humor, but we did it when I was an assistant band director at a high school in the mid-70's, and the 'regular' people did not really get it. To them it just sounded like an awful band chart (and our concert band was excellent, by the way). A lot of " What in the world was that?" type of comments.

You need to do some sort of visual comedy to really sell that piece, so it would be great on the field!

We had PDQ Bach come to my college for a performance in the early 70's. He was hilarious!

My family was (mostly) very musically oriented and we were required to do some sort of music. I went towards vocal music first and then towards instrumental music and my brother was an instrumentalist. He introduced me to PDQ Bach more as a joke towards my father who really loved classical but didn't play an instrument or sing. There are some great comedic acts through the years who had a TON of talent and were backed up by brilliant musicians. Another one I absolutely loved was Richard Cheese. 

Musicians are generally pretty hilarious people with dark senses of humor. When you give them a chance to do something great AND funny...watch out. 

55 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Was supposed to come to mine in late 70s but got blizzarded out. Make up date was after I graduated.. 🤬

Sister saw “Abduction of Figueroa” in NYC years later. Her boyfriend slept through it as a little too subtle for his tastes.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

including lots of interpretive dance and over the top emoting. 

How Dare You belittle SIMULTANEOUS DEMAND.  /s

• Haha 4

30 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

How Dare You belittle SIMULTANEOUS DEMAND.  /s

I'm emoting heavily as I read this LOLOLOLOLOL

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/21/2019 at 12:28 PM, Slingerland said:

Not necessarily. No one is marching a string section this year, and several corps have used violins in their show - but as featured soloists, which is how it would make sense if a corps wanted to feature a woodwind in the pit.

Just not the oboe. Please God, no oboes....😎 

Gabriel disagrees with you, right Crownies?