Disturbing DCI rumors

30 minutes ago, karuna said:

Whenever I see "sound reinforcement" substituted for "amplification", red flags appear.    This whole line of reasoning starts from the false premise that amplification makes things "sound better".   Your instinctive reaction is "we're musicians!  of course we want it sound better."    And thus otherwise reasonable people are led down the garden path:

(etc)

Once you accept that false premise,  you literally can't say no.   

F0q3lSp.png

Coming from a few years in the lesser Sr circuit saw a bunch of unbalanced corps.... so...

Balance wise we have twice as many high brass as low brass... crank that low brass... (because having members balance with their own talents ain’t cool).

oh crap... one contra or quad player tonight... REALLY crank that puppy... 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

3 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

Your preference is preventing WW players from join the corps they love and feature the full breath of their talents on their primary instrument.

This is like saying that someone's preference for string quartets is preventing tuba players from taking part in that activity.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

Your preference is preventing WW players from join the corps they love and feature the full breath of their talents on their primary instrument.

The company where I work used to host a major international piano competition. The winner would get $75,000 and a Carnegie Hall performance.

How unfair that violinists could never participate. Only pianists. So wrong.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

Surely the only thing that has kept WW's from Joining DCI before is the loud public opinion of those who threaten to leave DCI for good if WW players join.

I cant help but to see some parallels in this train of thought to other forms of disrespect.

well that coupled with the financial realties of instrument care, adding more bodies to house, feed, bus and insure. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

The company where I work used to host a major international piano competition. The winner would get $75,000 and a Carnegie Hall performance.

How unfair that violinists could never participate. Only pianists. So wrong.

It is more along the lines of....

Corps style competitive HS marching bands generally consist of percussion, brass, guard and woodwinds.

Corps style college marching bands generally consist of percussion, brass, guard and woodwinds. 

Time to audition for the epitome of Marching Music...DCI  corps.

Percussion...you are very welcome to come on in and try out. We'd love to have you.

Brass...come on down and audition. We welcome you with open arms.

Guard....as soon as WGI season is over, give us a shot.

Woodwinds,....stay away. No room here for you people.

It just makes no sense anymore, when scholastic band programs make  up 99+% of the pyramid of marching music, with DCI corps sitting on top, to exclude woodwinds from the top level of marching music. If the corps that vote for these things want to legalize woodwinds, GREAT! Long overdue, IMO.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

And those organizations should be careful about what they wish for. Loyalty has legs. 

Or in your case ... loyalty has long flowing blonde hair!

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I can guarantee you that we all gave a rats-azz what the people in the stands thought about what we were doing. I became a Lancer because I wanted to pull the fans out of their seats. We all did. I cared more about that than what the judges thought.

TRUE!  and I can name some current corps that feel that way today!!!  

• Like 1