Disturbing DCI rumors

Seriously though: if DCI starts allowing woodwinds in 2020, how long before corps who choose not to include woodwinds --maybe just because they prefer the way an all-brass ensemble sounds-- are being punished by the judges?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m a concert horn player since age 8.  When I joined drum corps in the fall of 1971, I definitely had to tackle a new beast. 

I’ve rolled with every change. Full disclosure:  I don’t love the proppery.  But I’m not sure I can cross the Rubicon when woodwinds are permitted.  Notice I said “when” because I’m not arguing that it’s going to happen. 

I played snare since I was 6 or 7 and I wanted to be in the Anaheim Kingsmen.  The problem was they already had snares at the caliber of Tom Float!!!!  I wasn't even good enough to be bass drum or a tympani, I didn't want to be a cymbal, so I learned how to play baritone and had the time of my life. 

All of these woodwind players that are (allegedly) clamoring to be in Drum Corps can do the same.  The argument they are somehow being "discriminated" is complete B.S. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

To me your post reads as: "I don't like what drum corps are, and I want them to be something else."

Yup. Many drum corps fans dont like the current state of the activity.

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Seriously though: if DCI starts allowing woodwinds in 2020, how long before corps who choose not to include woodwinds --maybe just because they prefer the way an all-brass ensemble sounds-- are being punished by the judges?

How long was it before using G bugles was punished?  The second season.  

On 12/23/2019 at 2:17 PM, Glenn426 said:

Hearing source material on the football field as they where originally composed not adaptations will be a welcome treat. Imagine as previously stated Gabriel's oboe with an actual Oboe. Rhapsody in Blue with an actual Clarinetist helming the reins. A Truely bad ### Saxophone quintet riffing like only saxophones can riff under a BD Ballad or Big band Shout section.

If I wanted to hear source material as originally composed, I would not go to an indoor football field littered with PA speakers.  I would go see ensembles of the intended format perform the source material in concert halls.

The whole point of marching music is adaptation.  Whether it is drum corps or marching band, the music must be adapted to be effective on the field.

The possibilities for Designers to explore/expand their available arsenal to the full music catalog has got to be a welcoming proposition as opposed to having to recycle Old Themes and song choices.

There is nothing forcing designers to recycle old themes/songs.  Their only limits are their own creativity, and the powers of the Almighty.

(By "Almighty", I meant copyright lawyers).

The adverse reaction to WW's on a football field are in my opinion based on the fact that you need 100 WW's for them to be heard on the field without Sound Reinforcement. Groups like Tarpon Springs and other BOA GN Finalists have shown for years what a HS band is capable of doing with proper Sound Reinforcement. Imagine that but with professionals in a professional setting. It will help the activity as a whole as the DCI groups will show the BOA/HS Groups how to properly do WW's on the Field.

Not sure you understand how DCI works.  The performers are not professionals.  The designers/instructors/judges come from BOA and other band circuits.  If they do not already know "how to properly do WWs on the field", then DCI never will either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 12/23/2019 at 3:29 PM, Glenn426 said:

These designers like they did in your day need to express themselves by re-creating themselves with new tools to use at their disposal.

Woodwinds are not "new tools".  Designers have been "expressing themselves" with woodwinds for as long as they have been designing.

Maybe you do not know our history, but drum corps and marching band have co-existed all along.  From the time our field-competitive activities were organized nearly 100 years ago, parallel divisions for drum corps and marching band were created.  American Legion had both.  VFW had both.  CYO had both, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

It appears you did.  Some excerpts from your previous quotes:

you old Dinos

a small minority of its fan-base

TOXIC minority

elders

VFW

DCA

Senior Corps

None of which address why woodwinds should be added....

• Haha 1

On 12/23/2019 at 3:43 PM, Glenn426 said:

I don't know you personally and I don't mean to question all of it, But would seriously give up all of those 52 years because Woodwinds crept onto the field? I've seen you every year on the 50 for Finals week. Your financial contribution to this activity and all other contributions on this site and others are recognized by all who see the name Terri Schehr on a Post. 

And that's why it puzzles me to see such strong reactions to this line. The WoodWind line. A Forbidden line that cannot be crossed, or Else all tears, sweat, money, plane rides will be for not because Wood Winds crept onto the field. The Instrument used by the members are merely an extension of their bodies. The Instrument does not make the experience. The members make the experience.

I will quote your signature;

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing, the same way, (and I will add) with the same people, and expecting different results.

This post is creepy on several levels.

a.  You do not know her personally... but you have been tracking her posts, financial contributions, and seating locations at DCI Championships?

b.  You say it puzzles you to see strong reactions to the prospect of adding woodwinds to drum corps?  In your first post on this thread, you told us all what "the adverse reaction to WW's on a football field are in my opinion based on", and proclaimed you would hold the door open for all the "dinos" you expected would want to leave.  It is a little late to pretend you have no idea why there would be strong reactions.

c.  The membership "experience" and the spectator "experience" are two different things.  Just because the activity is constructive and character-building does not make it fun to watch.  Community cleanup is a worthwhile "experience", but would you pay to watch it?

As a participant, drum corps and marching band can be exactly the same "experience".  As a spectator, your mileage will vary.  For me, it is ALL ABOUT the instrumentation, namely brass/percussion.  I have seen plenty of marching bands of all styles, ages and levels of excellence, and it just does not interest me like the brass/percussion-centric nature of drum corps.  Adding woodwinds to DCI will be subtracting my support, not because the activity is any less valuable an "experience" for the members - just because it would no longer be of interest to me as a spectator.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Woodwinds are not "new tools".  Designers have been "expressing themselves" with woodwinds for as long as they have been designing.

Maybe you do not know our history, but drum corps and marching band have co-existed all along.  From the time our field-competitive activities were organized nearly 100 years ago, parallel divisions for drum corps and marching band were created.  American Legion had both.  VFW had both.  CYO had both, etc.

I competed in VFW and American Legion state here in Illinois in both marching band and drum corps. Not in the same years, of course.